It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burka Ban Ruled Out As 'Rather Un-British'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001
sky news report

The immigration minister has ruled out a ban on wearing the burka in public saying it would be "rather un-British". Damian Green said it would be "undesirable" for Parliament to try to pass such a law as it goes against the UK's "tolerant and mutually respectful society".

What do you think about this issue ?
From what i've read the polls seem to think that 69 percent of the UK want it banning.
which i know is based from a survey of people ? should we ban it in public places.

I have been reading the sky news comments and there clearly alot of people who think it needs to be banned in public for safety and fairness to everyone esle in the country.

I think a ban in public should be implimented if not just ban it in shops and places where seeing a customers face is needed. e.g a bank or supermarket.

Hell with it then, everyone else should start wearing ski masks, bandanas, pantyhose and other face coverings in protest. I'm sick of seeing majority wishes ruled out in favor of the few. If they try to rule out wearing those things in public - start a damned riot.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

A burka ban is deemed "rather un-British", yet systematically drop virus and bacteria from aircraft, over the British people, without their knowledge or consent, for DECADES to 'test' dispersion rates and so on, IS British?!

Or testing nerve agent on British servicemen in the 50's, and telling them it's OK, it's just research into the common cold? That's a 'British' thing to do i suppose.

Or building covert nuclear and biological proof underground bunkers, for the government and who they consider to be the elites, so they can hide out safely, while the people that matter, that paid for the bunkers, are left to burn and die topside, without any consideration whatsoever? That's a British thing too is it?

But banning a piece of material, that could potentially hide a bomb and bomber and enable or help to facilitate innocent citizens violent deaths, is somehow 'Un-British'?!

Ridiculous.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Apologies for not reading all the posts, but it seems to me the banning of anything is un British. It's un British to start banning anything we dissaprove of. Would the Burka be banned in The United States?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Okay let us all rephrase the question:

What IS BRITISH about the Burka?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Nope, no religious, ethnic, or colour fascism from me. I would love to know, however, when, and if, the UK will ever take note from current EU prejudice against us for our passe attitude.
Europe makes policies that we adhere to when it is unwanted, unnecessary, unfair, and outright unhidden hatred. They laugh at the laws set to ensure fish stocks. Quotas are ignored by almost every single sea-faring country. We plague our fishermen with the strictest controls and policing imaginable, fining them out of business if there is a shred of evidence pointing to non-compliance. The spanish fishing industry can't believe our stupidy... we are an island race..., or their luck, as they dredge our waters for hauls! The government would prefer to bow to the EU.
Our farming industry is still on its knees after the mad-cow, foot and mouth, poultry suppliers, and what little land that is classed as arable is laughable in comparison to the other member states. Most, refusing, even after threats of prosecution and financial penalty, to accept our livestock nomatter what insurance, proof or clean bill of health. It meant that they would lose the ability to raise and control their prices without UK competition. We sat on our 'moral british dignities' as truckload after truckload were burnt alive, blockaded, and tortured. It was the British way to act passively annoyed.
Now, with the french, germans, belgians, dutch, spanish and portugese freely and blindly waving through illegal immigrants, forcing inhuman conditions and openly racist mistreatment of them, voting in fascist governments so as to ensure the same, we were 'obliged' to offer harbour, the likes of which was and is, unfeasible for an already economically crippled, over-populated, under-accomodating nation in the turmoil of a worldwide depression. In turn, it has forced distrust, intolerance, ghetto-like diversity, and feeding the extreme right a semi-plausible alternative way forward.

We complained about the situation to the EU, and the EU agreed with the EU member states, and their disproportionate MEPs, and vote counts, with, guess who? The EU member states! It's ok, though, because the British are to British to complain with any enthusiasm, and they will cope. When we proved we couldn't, that it was not possible, enough is enough, a new government was elected, a limit set on our ability to accept any more immigrants... we are not physically or economically capable... the surrounding countries had a cunning plan.

Ban the Burkha. many of which have/are in the process of doing so, with that being a precedent for others to follow suit. They will, without a doubt, and the UK, already tearing itself apart from within our constituent countries due to corrupt governing verging on treason, over-stretched 'anti-terror' jamborees, and rising animosity due to the inability to blame anyone else... will have to accept immigrants on humanitarian, religious intolerance, and compassionate grounds... because it is 'un'british' to enforce a dress code upon another!

Congratulations, Europe, you outfoxed us again!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Do you really think that HRM's government will allow person's to cover their face in public? This would defeat the face recognition program on the CCTV camera's. Big Brother must not be impeded. Black Bloc? More like provocateurs from your local constabilary! They are not anachists sir, they are copper's! FYI, wearing a mask in public is a class 6 Felony in Virginia. It was/is an anti KKK law from a bygone era, still on the books.
PEACE!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Rather un-british? So are all those muslims wearing them.......Smashing!

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I agree ban the burkha.

As long as i cant see your face, it should be banned.

Imagine if i walked down the street with a balaclava on and said its my religious dress and part of my religion...

Balaclava is baned. Cant do that. Why not the burkha?

Hell those full face hoodies, withthe zip up hood with clear plastic eye holes got banned. why? Because it scared people not being able to see thier faces.

Same deal.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Whats British about the Hasidic Jew attire(I'll take it you havn't been to Stamford Hill in london)? whats British about the Turban?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I agree ban the burkha.

Imagine if i walked down the street with a balaclava on and said its my religious dress and part of my religion...

Hell those full face hoodies, withthe zip up hood with clear plastic eye holes got banned. why? Because it scared people not being able to see thier faces.

Same deal.

Fashion should not be limited because other people "fear" not being able to see people's faces.

Especially in open public. I'm fine with a burka ban for government offices and those types of setting, but in the open public, it's ridiculous.

You would then have to bad ski masks, scarfs and anything else that een comes close to covering your face when your out in public.

It's really silly, banning the burka is nothing but a exercise in religious bigotry and intolerence brought forth by carefully crafted propaganda.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by thecrow001

I don’t think the burka should be banned because it is part of one’s religious dress.

The burqa is not religious dress. It is purely cultural! There is no basis to maintain the burqa as a matter of religious freedoms. Truth is that it is no more religious than a bikini. I know which one I prefer!

IRM

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
I agree ban the burkha.

Same deal.

LOL, I guess this is what the nanny state does, makes you afraid of everything. You cannot be serious that your country has really banned people from wearing all this stuff "because people are afraid". What next are they going to ban shadows?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The thing is ... we can't wear Ski-masks, balaclavas , masks , hoodies in public places - so why should Muslims be excluded?

This is the point that people are making.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

reply to post by tothetenthpower

The thing is ... we can't wear Ski-masks, balaclavas , masks , hoodies in public places - so why should Muslims be excluded?

This is the point that people are making.

LMAO!
You guys are so scared of everything that pretty soon they will have you running around butt naked in case one of you might be packing heat in your undies.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Whats British about the Hasidic Jew attire(I'll take it you havn't been to Stamford Hill in london)? whats British about the Turban?

Nothing. But i'm assuming with the Hasidic Jew attire you can see someone's face under it? I'm 99% sure that all Sikh's aren't bothered about showing their faces either....

Besides the turban IS religious and i'm assuming the Hasidic Jew attire is religious, whereas the Burka isn't.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

But we're not scared at all. In fact i think we're pissed off.

Big difference.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well I would be pissed off too if I couldnt wear a ski mask, or a hoodie, or a baclava (whatever the heck that is).

I think maybe you guys should start protesting to get your rights back to wear what you want instead of whining about the burka's.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

I wear a hoodie pretty much every day of the week, I have been to demonstrations where protestors have worn ski masks and covered their faces and it wasn't against the law then. There were plenty of police there too wearing balaclavas, public servants and you couldnt see their faces either. I'm not sure what the laws are regarding what you can and can not wear in Britain.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Well Lizard man said you cannot wear any of that stuff.
To be honest, I am an American and I dont know what you cann and cant wear in Britain.

All I know is that if they stripped of the right to wear what you want then that is pretty sad, even sadder if they did it because some people get scared.

Glad to hear that you are still living like a free man, Woodward.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Ban the damn thing. Its about time we stuck up for British culture instead of bending backwards to accomodate others at the expense of our own. Its limp wristed pathetic politicians like this one that are destroying our once great country. The Burka and the twisted minds that demand it to be worn need to be kicked out of England once and for all.

Can I wear a tank top or shorts in Saudi Arabia....I dont think so.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Pryde87]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join