It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burka Ban Ruled Out As 'Rather Un-British'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by paraphi

Is the opposite not culturally insensitive as well? What specific jobs?

I'd say MOST jobs.

You wouldn't expect to be interviewed by a bloke in a balaclava would you?

Same rules apply.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
this is off post but its my thread so

i think this is my first thread with 100 replys thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Just curious, what is a balaclava?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

www.google.co.uk...

A full face mask usually made from wool.

Often used in the military, hikers, climbers, bikers or the police etc

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

www.google.co.uk...

So people can also wear balaclava's, you said in a previous post that you couldn't wear hoodies or balaclavas. Hikers, climbers and bikers also wear them, maybe a hoodie and a balaclava. So your not really doing yourself many favors in defending your stand point.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Aww thank you. It was driving me nuts not knowing what it was.

I would be cool with being interviewed by a guy wearing one of those. Hell it would make interviewing way more fun. He could wear that and I could come in dressed as a furry bear.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Sunglasses! Outlaw those too! And big coats you can hide machine guns under! Oh and violin cases!

because saying "Please take off your sunglasses!" is a dastardly thing.

And big coats... hey you may have a thing there... stop those dastardly flashers!

Stop being silly...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
To be honest the burka just encompasses all i hate about islam. That alien culture that has invaded our shores and is slowly taking over.
In my area you see people dressed like darlecks all the time and the more i see it the more i hate it... Im sure they would wear space suits if they could so they did not have to breathe the same air as us unclean infidels... Then there is the fact that every bloody restarant or chippy is halal... Nothing gets said about that though..

Then when we DO protest about the spread of islam the cops just stand and watch whilst some muslims run over a young girl and her dad but come into us all coshes and boots for exersizing our right to protest (dudley. Last weekend)
West midland police is called the west muslim police around here for the way they kow tow to them

If polititions do not get their collective heads out their bums then soon you will indeed see those streets of blood and its my area where it will start :down:

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Thought i should extrapolate on my previous comment. 90% of what's wrong with the world is the comments we see on this thread, but forgetting that for a moment. There most definitely is a problem within Muslim communities and woman being forced to wear the burka, and that should be addressed, you won't find any argument from me on those grounds because it is a real and serious threat that must be tackled. But this juvenile, repulsive attempt to ban an item of clothing under all sorts of bigoted reasons goes beyond any sanity and delves in to the grounds of sheer stupidity. Forgive me for saying, but it's absolutely none of your damn business what a woman chooses to wear, we come back to this strange phenomena we see all around us today, where everyone has the right to dictate to anyone about everything in their lives just to satisfy their own ego. Forget religious extremism, the far larger threat we face today is by these supposed bringers of liberty and virtue that plague society and threads like these.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Wouldn't bother me a bit. I've interviewed for and gotten jobs over the phone. The person could have been wearing a mummy suit for all I know and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Anyone here ever actually spoken to a woman wearing a burka?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

www.google.co.uk...

So people can also wear balaclava's, you said in a previous post that you couldn't wear hoodies or balaclavas. Hikers, climbers and bikers also wear them, maybe a hoodie and a balaclava. So your not really doing yourself many favors in defending your stand point.

No - I bet if i walked into a busy shopping centre / subway or bank wearing a full-face bally i would be followed by security / police etc and asked to remove it or worse.

Please don't twist my words. There's a HUGE difference between wearing a balaclava when climbing Snowdon or Helvellyn than there is walking through a school playground for example or a subway.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Oh no..
What you have there is head-wear profiling.
That is just like racial profiling.
Unacceptable.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

In my area you see people dressed like darlecks all the time and the more i see it the more i hate it...

PMSL!

Exterminate!!! Exterminate!!!

I wonder if they look like Davros under that garb as well?

IRM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Clothing or the lack thereof should never be banned apart from under very specific circumstances.

This applies to burquas, too.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZuluChaka

Oh no..
What you have there is head-wear profiling.
That is just like racial profiling.
Unacceptable.

They're hardly the same. One cannot choose his or her race, whereas you can choose which clothes you wear.

Whilst I agree with you that people should not be stereotyped based on what they wear, your hyperbole only really weakens both causes.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

www.google.co.uk...

No - I bet if i walked into a busy shopping centre / subway or bank wearing a full-face bally i would be followed by security / police etc and asked to remove it or worse.

Please don't twist my words. There's a HUGE difference between wearing a balaclava when climbing Snowdon or Helvellyn than there is walking through a school playground for example or a subway.

You're joking, right? Are you seriously making an argument for banning an item of clothing based on an "I bet..." ?

Why not test it out? I wear a hoody which covers my identity most of the time- many people around here do. The only place they really worry about you walking around with a balaclava on is when you enter a bank or other business-it's understandable, really.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

reply to post by paraphi

Is the opposite not culturally insensitive as well? What specific jobs?

I'd say MOST jobs.

You wouldn't expect to be interviewed by a bloke in a balaclava would you?

Same rules apply.

I wouldn't expect it, but I'd hardly support banning it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm not a Burka fan.

But I'm even less of a fan of the government telling people what they can and cannot wear, so...I guess I'll come down on the side of freedom.

It would be nice, IMHO, if people stopped wearing it of their own accord as a kind of cultural ettiquite, acknowledging the culture of the nation they live in. As far as I know, most Western women traveling to Islamic countries will make a nod to local custom by putting on at least a headscarf, even if not required by law. Or as another example, most people visiting Japan will take off their shoes when entering another's home, although I'm pretty sure there is no a law there about that. It would be nice if people from elsewhere would show a similar kind of cultural consideration to Western countries....but I am aware this is just wishful thinking.

[edit on 7/27/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
I'm not a Burka fan.

But I'm even less of a fan of the government telling people what they can and cannot wear, so...I guess I'll come down on the side of freedom.

It would be nice, IMHO, if people stopped wearing it of their own accord as a kind of cultural ettiquite, acknowledging the culture of the nation they live in. As far as I know, most Western women traveling to Islamic countries will make a nod to local custom by putting on at least a headscarf, even if not required by law. Or as another example, most people visiting Japan will take off their shoes when entering another's home, although I'm pretty sure there is no a law there about that. It would be nice if people from elsewhere would show a similar kind of cultural consideration to Western countries....but I am aware this is just wishful thinking.

[edit on 7/27/10 by silent thunder]

In (most of) the West, we let people wear what they want because we believe in a (relatively) large degree of personal freedom.

That is our culture.

People wearing the burqua of their own personal accord should be welcomed.

posted on Aug, 4 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks that burkas are an essential part of Islam is a moron.

There are many islamic scholars who are against such garb. It's in fact pre-islamic.

Wearing burkas is just as unacceptable (and it should be) in the society as going nude. Nothing is wrong with either from the first principles, but there must a be a middle ground most of us can share.

new topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join