It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.325Mhz shortwave and internet probs. Advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this thread belongs here but I can't think of any other place to put it. If it needs to be moved, that's fine

Anyhow, for the last 3 or 4 weeks I've been having internet connectivity problems that are quite odd. It's mostly in the mornings up until about noon (sometimes lasting all day). What I get is a constant flipping between 'LAN is connected' and "LAN cable is unplugged' balloons on my windows status bar. For a while I suspected solar activity since sunspots were pretty active. Even when the sun was quiet the problem persisted. Most of the time I have to wait incredibly long times to load a page (often having to F5 a couple times due to timeouts).
I am on HughesNet satellite internet (only option out here). I can check my status and signal via modem/software interface and my signal is good, as is the other settings. I'm hardwired from modem to PC as I'm not a big wireless fan.
A few days ago I clicked a link (doesn't matter where or what link) and decided to tinker with my shortwave reciever while I was waiting for the page to load. To my surprise I found a frequency that matches my LAN loss at 6.325Mhz.
While listening to that freq, I have heard oscillating tones, dual tones, beeps (the indicator of my signal losses) and occasional distorted voices. It goes for a couple seconds then a brief silence (like power on/power off).

Anyone else notice this? It's driving me nuts

[edit on 18-7-2010 by OuttaTime]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well here's a suggestion to fix your problem.

Press:

Start-->Run-->type cmd in the black box.

Then type:

ipconfig/release

ipconfig/flushdns

ipconfig/renew

That should fix your connectivity problem. DNS cash can really mess up your connectivity when it gets too full.

Hope that helps.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Thanks for the reply. I tried all that (flushing, hard boots, registry scans, the whole 9 yards) and it still persists. What I'm experiencing is an RF interference that is screwing up my connectivity. It's most prevailent in the mornings and usually goes away in the afternoon/evening hours.

If you have access to a shortwave radio, tune it in to 6.325Mhz and you can tell what it is doing to my LAN. It seems as though this is predominantly an external anomoly I cannot repair as the intermittent frequency is somehow nullifying my connection. It's slower than dialup because of the interference.
I've had this internet for about a year and a half, and this is the first time I've experienced this, but it's definately RFI related, but there is nothing new being built around here.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Any new toys in the house?

Air conditioning? Fridge?

Anything and everything could be causing interference, even perhaps a new cell tower in your area or something like that.

Hell last year, I lost wireless connectivity for 3 days in my house, came to find out it was the Xbox Wirless Adapter lol.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Nope. Nothing new around here
This problem just popped up a few weeks ago and as far as I know there are no tower projects going on. It's pretty sparse out here. I've been sitting here for a couple hours listening to the shortwave frequency and watching the patterns sync with my PC. I can't tell what language they're speaking as it's pretty distorted, and it almost seems like a packet radio/morse communication. Not sure if it is that exact frequency or just bleedover from other freqs, but I can see and hear the reason it's wreaking havoc on my internet.
The only options I have is to go break their transmitters (somewhere on this planet) or build a faraday cage around my house

edit to add: I found another frequency at 5.83Mhz that syncs with the interference. It's just a slow oscillating tone. When I hear the tone my LAN is connected, and when it stops my LAN is disconnected. It has a pattern like this:
'connected' tone pause tone 'disconnected' - over and over

the tone durations last from either a half second to several seconds at a time. It's pretty frustrating

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The signals you are picking up are not interfering with your network connection, they are interference caused by the built in oscillators in your network card/modem. Which is why the changes coincide with the difference in sounds you hear
The only reason you hear voices is because there will be a transmission on a nearby frequency which may be fading in/out and is purely coincidental. The HF bands are a hive of activity when propagation is good which I'm sure you know.
Can't comment on your specific problem with it dropping in/out though, would need access to the system and full details of how it's configured which isn't feasible really.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Oh I forget to say, if you want to ensure what I am saying is correct simply try the following. Switch off all of your computer and network gear. Properly. That means turn it off at the mains, make sure nothing is on standby (Sometimes PC MBs keep some circuits alive even when in standby), turn off any routers, network switches, EVERYTHING. Including your satellite equipment, any other satellite receiver connected to the LNB if it has multiple connections, etc.
You should find that the signals on your radio disappear.
But just make sure everything (apart from the radio!) is OFF and unplugged!

[edit on 18-7-2010 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Your wireless adapter or router could be going bad.

To test this, get another computer from a friend or something and try to connect. If they both start disconnecting, it may be the router. So borrow another router, and if they still keep disconnecting, then you can be sure it is outside interference.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Since you are hardwired the port sense will determine if there is a link to another ethernet card.
If your modem is under warranty or is rented replace it. If not, cheapest next step is buy another ethernet adapter. Its nice to have a spare anyway. Replace it and test.

You should be able to get one for under $25. Try tigerdirect.com

I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust
Your wireless adapter or router could be going bad.

To test this, get another computer from a friend or something and try to connect. If they both start disconnecting, it may be the router. So borrow another router, and if they still keep disconnecting, then you can be sure it is outside interference.

No router. I removed it and unplugged it months ago as I only have 1 connection. Nothing wireless either. It's all coax or CAT5 cabling from the modem to the net card.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

I carried my SW radio to the other corner of my property (2 acres) and I could still hear the patterned clicking. My nearest neighbor is over a half mile away. My connection at this point is better than it was this morning. It is usually REALLY bad in the morning and starts getting better as the day goes on (usually). By 4pm I usually don't have any problems with it and it works just fine. At that point I'm not putting much faith in it being an internal hardware problem. The only wireless device within a half mile radius is my TV/remote and I unplugged it from the wall and still had the RF probs.
Any/all wireless components in my laptop have been disabled through system setting at the control panel under the hardware settings tab. It has not been enabled for over 2 years. Even when I'm having those 'flipping' problems, my ISP interface is still showing a strong signal and all components are working properly.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I work with computers and wireless on a daily basis for the last 12 years.

1. Move the Router away from metal or large solid objects.
2. Move the router from the floor
3. Change your wireless Channel to either 1 or 11 since it sounds like 6 is your problem.
4. Stay with the same Vendor for Router and network cards (Linksys, Cisco, Belkin).
5. If your router is old, look for new firmware. If your network card is old, check for a newer driver.
6. If your router is a "G" (older) router don't buy "N" network cards, they will work but its a waste of money as the "G" router will limit the "N" network card speeds. However if you do upgrade to a "N" Router then make sure to upgrade to those "N" Network cards. If you are running a 802.11b you may want to upgrade the router.
7. Have your ISP come to your location and do a line test and have them inspect the line for interference or degradation.
8. Replace or Upgrade to Cat 5e or Cat 6 (UTP is ok but I finally had to break down and get a Cat5e STP) *UTP-Unshielded Twisted pair * STP - Shielded Twisted Pair
9. Replace the router and network card Antenna with a more quality one. Laptops with built-in wireless typically have excellent antennas and don't need to have their network adapters upgraded.
10.Reduce wireless interference. If you have cordless phones or other wireless electronics in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise from the other wireless devices. To quiet the noise, avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones that use the 5.8GHz or 900MHz frequencies.
11. Most importantly, make sure you have a strong WPA2 password and Encryption setup on the wireless access point. Leaving it unsecured is like leaving the keys in the car while it is running in the walmart parking lot.
12. Add a repeater - Just added

Hit me up for some more advance tips!

Cheers,

Brian

[edit on 18-7-2010 by sourdiesel]

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sourdiesel

Router is unplugged and in the closet (has been for months)

I can access the modem/ISP system status directly from my PC using the IP address of the modem, and it shows system status as good (transmission, reception, Terminal status, System status, System info), and connectivity tests are fine.
The only wireless aspect of my internet is from the satellite dish to the sattelite. Everything inside the house had a diagnostics run and all showed fine. My PC has been in the same place for onths as is the other appliances in the house, although nothing new has been used for months (same stuff I had before the problem began). It began shortly after the gulf incident so I'm suspecting GPR (geological sensor satellites) pings since it happens in cycles.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I apologize I was distracted when i was reading your post. I now see where your hardwired into the modem.

I would do this if it was my house:

Do some tests without the equipment on and try to locate the interference to pass along to your ISP.
Call your ISP and have them come test the equipment and the line, point out suspected line interference. Then go get a new network card and some new Cat5e cables.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by sourdiesel

I apologize I was distracted when i was reading your post. I now see where your hardwired into the modem.

I would do this if it was my house:

Do some tests without the equipment on and try to locate the interference to pass along to your ISP.
Call your ISP and have them come test the equipment and the line, point out suspected line interference. Then go get a new network card and some new Cat5e cables.

Ouch, easier said than done
Tech support from HughesNet is pretty bad and phone calls get you connected with the global help desk in India (whom I can't understand). If they can't find the problem in their troubleshooting rolodex, it doesn't exist. Modem is the newest HN9000 series.
I've been well below the poverty line for about 2 years now (unemployed and disabled - no benefits) and finding a net card for an IBM Thinkpad T42 is quite pricy. The display has already gone south (using a PC monitor) but it still runs strong

Thanks for the advice though
I'll have to check around and see if any new broadcasting projects have started up here.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'll Say again You have a wired LAN. External RF will not interfere with this ...within reason..setting cables on a powerline that feeds industrial freezer motors will give interference on turn-on..not your problem.

Any RF interference would at most impact your power supply and be noticeable in speakers / video.

Your thinkpad should have wireless lan capabilities. Disconnect the Ethernet Cable and setup the thinkpad for wireless. This should solve your problems.

I am a programmer and analog/digital technician/engineer. Been in the computer industry since Dos 1.1 as a small part of my projects.

You suspect that the signals that you are monitoring are interfereing with your connection. Could have been if you didn't have disconnect problems with the modem and pc. The two are unrelated.

Using the wireless functions of both pc and modem will eliminate the defective hardline interface components. As long as the wireless components haven't been damaged as well. Typically by power failures/surges and lightning spikes near powerlines.

Should be easy cost effective fix.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by awakentired
I'll Say again You have a wired LAN. External RF will not interfere with this ...within reason..setting cables on a powerline that feeds industrial freezer motors will give interference on turn-on..not your problem.

Any RF interference would at most impact your power supply and be noticeable in speakers / video.

Your thinkpad should have wireless lan capabilities. Disconnect the Ethernet Cable and setup the thinkpad for wireless. This should solve your problems.

I am a programmer and analog/digital technician/engineer. Been in the computer industry since Dos 1.1 as a small part of my projects.

You suspect that the signals that you are monitoring are interfereing with your connection. Could have been if you didn't have disconnect problems with the modem and pc. The two are unrelated.

Using the wireless functions of both pc and modem will eliminate the defective hardline interface components. As long as the wireless components haven't been damaged as well. Typically by power failures/surges and lightning spikes near powerlines.

Should be easy cost effective fix.

I know where you're coming from. I remember using DesqView with Dos2.2 running a BBS back in the late 80's early 90's (after a cage match with OS/2 Warp). Having a wireless router would be nice but I cannot afford one (nor wireless modem).

The strangest part about the problem I'm having is that it only does this in the morning and works fine around lunchtime. Then it's good for the rest of the day.

My cable is nowhere near any motors at all. It's also routed out of the way as not to get damaged in any way. I'm thinking these rampant signals may be affecting my satellite transponder as nearby lightning occasionally drops it out due to loss of signal and static electricity between my dish and outer space. I carried a SW radio 100' away from the house and could still hear the pattern.
My IR port and wireless lan have been disabled for about 2 years and nothing has changed since then (as far as setup, ISP, appliances, VR network setup, location, etc). I never had any problems like this until a month ago.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaTime

I looked up your computer on the internet. Says it comes with a wireless Lan card.
Does system devices show it?
If so. Have you tried updating the drivers?

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by awakentired
reply to post by OuttaTime

I looked up your computer on the internet. Says it comes with a wireless Lan card.
Does system devices show it?
If so. Have you tried updating the drivers?

It sure does
I can update the drivers, but I keep that device disabled. Will it make a difference? I mean, does it load the drivers at startup even though device is disabled?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Dear OuttaTime:

Sorry for your connectivity issues! Just curious... any impact on your Internet connection if you turn off your Shortwave Radio?

<<   2 >>

join