It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.325Mhz shortwave and internet probs. Advice?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
Dear OuttaTime:

Sorry for your connectivity issues! Just curious... any impact on your Internet connection if you turn off your Shortwave Radio?

Thanks

Nah, no impact at all. It's turned off most of the time but it still flops between LAN connected and LAN unplugged. It starts sometime in the wee hours of the morning, and usually stops around noon, then no probs at all. It has to be something atmospheric, and in my case it's unusual as most people are running cable internet and wouldn't see the scope of this glitch.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
It sounds like you strictly have a hardware problem.

The “plugged/unplugged” indicator is based off of “link integrity pulses” that the other device sends. If the computer can’t detect the pulses, then it’s not connected.

I you have the “plugged/unplugged” status changing randomly, then you have a loose connection.

Or, your network card/computer is starting to die/lose it’s mind.

Easiest way to fix it is change the cable with a known good one, and make sure all the connections are corrosion free.
If that doesn’t work, then change the Ethernet card.
Or get another complete computer/laptop to try.
If the problems go away, then the problem is with your cable, network card, or computer, respectively.

The sat modem may be dieing, but it's not likely.

........edit............
Outside RF interference with an Ethernet connection is not likely, unless the Ethernet wiring is in bad shape.

I have a DSL modem setting within 10 feet of a 200W HF transceiver. The Ethernet wiring is running right by the transceiver to a computer I use for logging.
One end of the antenna is within 40 feet of the phone line coming in.
I have operated 2mhz, 4mhz, 7mhz, 14mhz, 21mhz, 28mhz , all at full power (200 watts) without causing any Ethernet or dsl connectivity problems that I can remember.

[edit on 6-9-2010 by Mr Tranny]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I tried different cables on different PCs using different OSs and came up with the same problem. I ran LAN diagnostics, ping timing, modem diagnostics, and everything I could imagine. After haggling with the ISP (in Budapest
no less), they could not determine the cause and desired to keep billing me for it (that conversation has an R rating on it
though). After I sat and thought about it I checked a few things on my own. The transmit/recieve functions were working correctly, the packet losses were insignificant, signal strength was optimum, latency was good. What I narrowed it down to was a LAN circuit malfunction in the modem. It was a void between the incoming/outgoing data, hence not recieving ACK/NAK packet info from the satellite. Data vanished somewhere between the transmit and recieve routines. It would not reset and could not be detected by the ISP diagnostics. I've since had the modem replaced and all is well.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join