It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IT clouds will be hidden in the mountains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

IT clouds will be hidden in the mountains

translate.google.com

You might as well learn the term "Cloud computing", this cloud away. It's the hottest in the IT industry, but scientists fear for data security.

Major IT companies like IBM, Microsoft, Google, the Amazon and AT & T invests big in cloud computing.

The term "Cloud computing" is translated to the nettsky in Norwegian. It is considered to be one of the most important innovations in the IT future.

IT industry eager for Norway to become a superpower on the server centers in the future.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aftenposten.no

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
officially saying we are hiding the servers ?! and now when all this dooms days wandering around..

And some more

According to research firm IDC increased need five times from 2007 to 2010 and projected to increase over 40 times until 2020.

The big IT giants worldwide hunt for new premises for their server farms. Google, for example, bought an abandoned paper mill in Finland.

Microsoft, with CEO Steve Ballmer at the helm, is convinced that the future is in your cloud.

Peace.

translate.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
They want to get away from pirating i would assume.

Not sure if you will always need to connect to these things, would hackers be able to make sure you can still play offline, and do stuff offline?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Remember, clouds only look like something solid when they're a ways away: when you get up close and examine them you see they're only mist and vapor.

Petascale dynamic distributed databases? Yes.
Everything you do will shift to the clouds? No.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I wonder if this sorta thing exists on Mars lol.

Anyway, cool story bro.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Skynet, eh? Burried in underground bunkers. You don't say. Dulce? Area 51? Just what are those IT guys doing out there in the Nevada desert?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Just another name for mainframe computing versus distributed computing. There are benefits to this, as in each computer doesn't have to have it's own copy of software but can access the latest version "on demand." It can save companies and people a lot of money (ahem or could, but it probably won't) and makes software maintenance and upgrades much easier.

this concept is something IBM anyway has been trying to reintroduce for years, since the advent of personal computers, under various names.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I think cloud computing in gaming has in some ways already started. There are companies in the usa that use cloud computing, and you connect with your computer over fast net to play the latest games.

I thought it was on trial already. I think in gaming it may be a decent thing, and you just do not buy a download or disk, you just play of a cloud computer.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Also, I didn't mean to imply that there aren't some negatives, particularly in the area of privacy and access. Activities can be more easily traced and logged, and access to programs can be more easily cut off. But basically, again, it's the old mainframe computing concept.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

If you're talking about "OnLive" it's a crock. You pay full retail price to own nothing and after a defined period of time (90 days I think) what you had just bought ceases to be available.

It's like full priced renting with the added joys of connectivity issues.

Great for the sellers I suppose. Absolutely horrific for the consumer.

If these clouds are meant to house the software and we're all meant to subscribe to it that would be a massive hit for the consumer and huge boon for the seller. Subscription based models are always massive rip-offs. But given the popularity of MMO's and the ever expanding cable television base despite annual price increases I suspect people will love being ripped off.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

top topics

join