It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jailed for Debt in the U.S. in the 21st Century?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
While millions of Americans are still struggling to pay off credit cards and loans, many are finding themselves serving time in local jails because of failures to make payments or to appear at court hearings with debt collectors. Consumer attorneys said they’ve witnessed a rise in debt-related arrests in Arkansas, Arizona, Minnesota and Washington.

Read more...
www.allgov.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeedBump

Key phrase is involved in all this: "..failure to appear in court with debtors."

Just saying..........go to court. Appear. Failure to appear will generally result in a warrant being issued. And a warrant being issued usually results in being incarcerated for some time. But not incarceration for not paying a bill.

Word to the wise, when being summoned to court, go there. You don't even have to speak a word!

What happens? A person or entity says, your honor, this guy owes me money and I need to be made whole. Dispute it if you can. Can't dispute it? Work out an agreement. And show why you can't provide retribution in full immediately.

Just saying........Charles Dickens wrote of terrible injustices, but voluntary failure to appear in court wouldn't make for a good Chuck plot.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

its not all for failure to appear in court.

here's an example

Owe a Credit Card Company 250$? You Could go to Jail

[edit on 7/14/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Creditors are going to start hiring death squads to hunt down and kill debtors.

Turn the tables - Be proactive, draw first blood.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

I'll check out your link. If Charles Dickens's world is still in effect, well, I will eat my credit card and go to jail. Thanks for the link, my friend.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

I endorse everything this one says.
And if that still is not good enough start filing chapter 13.
If enough of us fools do this in concert we can show big industry who the real boss is.
It will mess with your credit for a year or so but, heck who is getting loans right now anyway?
And if all of those legal channels don’t work we all meet at town hall with our pitchforks and torches and burn the witches!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Wow after watching that video I'm not sure how it ties into credit card debt but, I sure wanna hurt my mom and other peoples of different ethnic backgrounds.
I'm gonna go take a valium I'm all worked up.

new topics

top topics

join