It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRAN: Judiciary official says woman to be stoned for husband's murder, not just adultery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

IRAN: Judiciary official says woman to be stoned for husband's murder, not just adultery

latimesblogs.latimes.com

In a surprise announcement, a judiciary official in provincial Iran said a woman who had been convicted and sentenced to stoning for adultery had also been convicted of murder.

Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, a 43-year-old mother of two in the Tabriz area, had been convicted of cheating on her late husband, apparently a murder victim, and sentenced to die by stoning, a ruling that is officially under review, according to Iranian judiciary officials.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iran denying woman will be executed by stoning
Iran to review woman's stoning sentence

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
A few weeks back the breaking news was that Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani was to be stoned to death for adultry. In a thread here I cannot seem to find, ATSers discussed that there were also murder charges.

Late last week, it was reported that a review of the case was taking place. And yesterday, it was reported that the execution was delayed pending the review. (See related threads.)

This article discusses some "fresh news" about the case as a result of the reviews. Looks like it's a bit more complicated than originally reported. Sounds pretty gruesome, but they're still not releasing all the details:

"If the way her husband has been murdered is expressed, the brutality and insanity of this woman would be laid bare to public opinion. Her contribution to the murder of her husband was so harsh and heart-breaking that many criminologists believe that it would have been better for her to have decapitated her husband."

latimesblogs.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Oh well.

That makes a big difference, In that case, fine stone her to death.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Don't you guys strap people into metal chairs and electrocute them in front of a room full of people?

Its not that much different dude.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

YUP.

Some States shoot them while others use lethal injection.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I know some of these details were already discussed to some degree in a previous thread. Not sure, but it sounds like the stoning versus the hanging is back on.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I know some of these details were already discussed to some degree in a previous thread. Not sure, but it sounds like the stoning versus the hanging is back on.

No, that's what some here will try to twist the story to.
Total Bias.

It's a case of Iran feeling the heat from the international community over the past few weeks about how they were going to execute a woman for adultery by stoning but after realizing how barbaric that was they retracted then came out with a case for murder. They have twisted and slithered their way around this case.

If that were the case then why not come right out in the first place and say Murder not Adultery?

Now many here will simply try to twist this to a "well you Americans execute don't you. That's the pot calling the kettle black" Yadda Yadda Blah Blah Blah. As if we don't know.
Lucidity you've even posted several threads showing how they have been twisting this story.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yes, I don't believe anything has fundamentally changed here (the other threads are linked in the OP) or even changed from 2007, when this last made major headlines.

The other angle of this story being used by opportunists on both sides when the focus is on Iran for other reasons.

Their laws about murder appear to have more to do with the damage and grief of the living relatives and gives them a say in the punishment. That's a very different concept for us. And their laws and stance on adultery seem far more severe that those for murder.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
For America to comment on the barbarity of any one elses' justice system...well I'll let the stats speak:

Death Penalty kills the innocent as well as guilty.
DNA tests tell us half of all deathrow inmates are innocent
In 1997, Illinois halted executions when DNA testing found 52% of their deathrow inmates were innocent.

officeofstrategicinfluence.com...

and all the while the guilty run rampant...or are part of the government...

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
So, over 6 years ago (when the news first came out) she was only "questioned" about her husband's murder. Was there ever a trial? Ever a conviction? Only info. I could find was on the adultery. Fishy, very fishy....

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I know, right?. That's why it's so hard to formulate a real opinion on this matter. They speak of the importance of keeping certain things private about her husband's murder, yet make a statement about it maybe being better if he were decapitated? I have a strong feeling I know what that's alluding to!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I'm sure lethal injection or being shot execution style is just as painful as being bludgeoned repeatedly with large stones until you die.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Yep. My favorite line from one of the articles: the rocks will not be big enough to kill a person right away... Gotta love that 'eh?

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

If this is going to happen, I guess the most humane thing we can hope for is that someone slips her a cyanide capsule beforehand. I can't even imagine it! From either perspective.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Brazil offers asylum to Iranian woman facing stoning

AND

It's about time some nation offered.
Don't expect much results from it.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Actually.....

Upon thinking about it further. I suspect Iran has already made an agreement with one of the "non Alignment nations" so they did not have to face global opinion and condemnation of their own laws.

[edit on 31-7-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's brilliant! Great theory...I wonder...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

No, that's what some here will try to twist the story to.
Total Bias.

It's a case of Iran feeling the heat from the international community over the past few weeks about how they were going to execute a woman for adultery by stoning but after realizing how barbaric that was they retracted then came out with a case for murder. They have twisted and slithered their way around this case.

If that were the case then why not come right out in the first place and say Murder not Adultery?

Now many here will simply try to twist this to a "well you Americans execute don't you. That's the pot calling the kettle black" Yadda Yadda Blah Blah Blah. As if we don't know.
Lucidity you've even posted several threads showing how they have been twisting this story.

Internal affairs of Iran, not a business of West, and shouldn't be used as an excuse to invade Iran

I'm just saying, Iran is reviewing the whole stoning penalty since it is not in the Quran (Wikipedia).

International pressure, even sanctions haven’t stopped Iranian nuclear pursuit, why would it stop this? Weird

[edit on 31-7-2010 by oozyism]

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
Internal affairs of Iran, not a business of West, and shouldn't be used as an excuse to invade Iran

AND

Who exactly here is advocating an invasion of Iran?

Not I!

We are simply discussing the situation. GET IT?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join