It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glenn Beck: Is the the footage of Sen. Byrd's filibuster of the Civil Rights Act 'down the Memory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Is the the footage of Sen. Robert Byrd's filibuster of the Civil Rights Act 'down the Memory Hole?'

Glenn Beck's crack research staff strikes again.

On his Fox News show this evening, Glenn Beck blamed a purported suppression of history for his research staff's inability to find footage of Sen. Robert Byrd filibustering the Civil Rights Act.

BECK: At the same time this was going on, Robert Byrd was filibustering the Civil Rights Act. Why is it this guy dies and we haven't seen any footage -- Tiffany, did we look for footage? We're still looking. We can't find footage of the filibuster of the Civil Rights Act of this guy. How? How is that possible? How did the guy die when one of the most important things the guy did in his life, at least in the first 47 years, was to filibuster the Civil Rights Act? We have re-written history, and we are only looking now for the truth that helps our side. It must stop.

Uh, Glenn? The reason your staff can't find that 1964 footage is that it doesn't exist, because television cameras wouldn't be allowed into the Senate chamber for another ten years. According to senate.gov:

Following succession to the presidency after the resignation of Richard Nixon in 1974, Gerald Ford nominated Nelson Rockefeller as vice president, as prescribed by the Twenty-fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Rockefeller took the oath of office in the Senate chamber on December 19, 1974. Television cameras that had been recently installed in the Senate chamber in anticipation of a possible impeachment trial of Richard Nixon were instead used to televise the swearing in of Vice President Rockefeller. This marked the first time television cameras had been allowed in the Senate chamber.

By the way, it took me less than thirty seconds to find that information. I did a Google search for "history of cameras Senate floor." It was the second result.

Don't forget, Beck says he has "some of the biggest minds in America" on his research team "working harder than ... any staff ever on television."

Now, will this "Modern Day Thomas Paine" own up to his ignorance, or will he just let his viewers continue to think the record has been scrubbed?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Glenn Beck Rocks and you trying to belittle him is quite funny

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Although we don't know each other, I respectfully ask one favor from you.... please don't ever equate Beck with Paine again - even in sarcastic jest.

Pretty please.

Pretty please with a cherry on top.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
How many Glen Beck threads this week? I dont like the guy but I dont try to knock him down over every little thing either. I think he has stirred all of your pots to the point that you cant help yourselves.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The racism of Robert KKK Byrd was pretty much ignored by the lame stream media.

Clinton made a stupid comment about Byrds "fleeting association" with the KKK in an apolgetic kind of way....but all in all it was pretty much off limits.

Kudos to Beck for pointing this out.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

Glenn Beck

"Modern Day Thomas Paine"

No

Don't ever do this again

Just no

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sorry, I like Beck. I guess we all have skeletons in our closets!

I have seen and heard him many times retract or correct mistakes on-air. His personality/style is certainly not for everyone, but he is trying to wake people up.
Peeps here want the whole enchilada from Beck, but he's only showing America the mechanics of what is happening...like pointing out gears without showing the whole machine.

Do you really think Beck doesn't have opinions on the big picture? I think Beck is more in-line with ATS than we realize.

We don't realize the thin line he's walking. IMO Beck is poking the beehive of TPTB, and one poke too many might earn him an accident. His notoriety will only work to a point...Far more famous and loved people have been removed by TPTB.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

So, Glenn Beck should not be quoted and questioned on his veracity? That sounds like quite the personality cult he's got going.

Besides, I don't have to belittle Glenn Beck. He does fine on his own.

"When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining."

“Christians should leave their churches if they hear preaching about social or economic justice. I beg you, look for the words ‘social justice' or ‘economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can.”

“The things that have happened in this country, where it really started to go wrong, was in the lead-up to the Civil War. And it became politicized, and it was all about slavery. Before then, we were moving on the right track.”

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong?"

"So here you have Barack Obama going in and spending the money on embryonic stem cell research. ... Eugenics. In case you don't know what Eugenics led us to: the Final Solution. A master race! A perfect person. ... The stuff that we are facing is absolutely frightening."

You know, we all have our inner demons. I, for one – I can't speak for you, but I'm on the verge of moral collapse at any time. It can happen by the end of the show."

"I have been nervous about this interview with you because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies. ... And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."

"Al Gore's not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization...And you must silence all dissenting voices. That's what Hitler did. That's what Al Gore, the U.N., and everybody on the global warming bandwagon [are doing]."

And, my personal favorite:

"This president I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture....I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem. This guy is, I believe, a racist."

Nothing like having it both ways. The president is racist & hates white people...but he's not saying that he doesn't like people. But he's racist.

Just...wow.

To summarize:

"Even the leather-winged shouting heads at Fox News look like intellectual giants next to this bleating, benighted Cassandra. It's like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show." -- Buffalo Beast, naming Beck in its annual list of the 50 Most Loathsome People in America

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hmmm.
Can we hear some tapes of Glenn Beck when he was a legendary boozing drug gobbling shock jock on the radio?
He was before his miracle conversion to the Mormon Church and the Principles of Conservative Radio Church of Rush Big Bucks.
This isn't slander, it's the absolute truth! LOOK IT UP!
If the tapes of Byrd are somehow relevant, then the tapes of Boozin' Beck must be as well!

[edit on 9-7-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectreDC

Glenn Beck

No

Don't ever do this again

Just no

Could you imagine Beck writing something like "The Age of Reason"? It would alienate most of his core audience and destroy his career as a conservative talking head.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Glenn Beck

No

Don't ever do this again

Just no

Could you imagine Beck writing something like "The Age of Reason"? It would alienate most of his core audience and destroy his career as a conservative talking head.

I would sit back amazed and confused at what the hell is going on in the world.

Like I do every damn day.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Glenn Beck

No

Don't ever do this again

Just no

Would he be dressed as a Nazi on the cover like he was for his last book?

Oh Mr. Beck, I'll admit his show is one on my guilty pleasures: I like to get an ale, or martini if it's been a long day, and have a good laugh to his show.

I watch him purely for entertainment purposes, and thanks to my job I can in the UK, but when I actually think about what he is saying and that people are actually listening it terrifies me. The violence he does to history on his show is just unbelievable. What he wants to every schoolchild to learn is falsehoods and a narrative that suits his own political agenda.

Glenn Beck being one of the most dangerous people in the media is actually one of the few things that I completely agree with Alex Jones on. If Beck can unite the two opposite ends of the media spectrum against him, then he's doing something far more destructive and evil than almost anyone else on the air.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta

So, Glenn Beck should not be quoted and questioned on his veracity? That sounds like quite the personality cult he's got going.

"When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining."

“Christians should leave their churches if they hear preaching about social or economic justice. I beg you, look for the words ‘social justice' or ‘economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can.”

“The things that have happened in this country, where it really started to go wrong, was in the lead-up to the Civil War. And it became politicized, and it was all about slavery. Before then, we were moving on the right track.”

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong?"

"So here you have Barack Obama going in and spending the money on embryonic stem cell research. ... Eugenics. In case you don't know what Eugenics led us to: the Final Solution. A master race! A perfect person. ... The stuff that we are facing is absolutely frightening."

You know, we all have our inner demons. I, for one – I can't speak for you, but I'm on the verge of moral collapse at any time. It can happen by the end of the show."

"I have been nervous about this interview with you because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies. ... And I know you're not. I'm not accusing you of being an enemy, but that's the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way."

"Al Gore's not going to be rounding up Jews and exterminating them. It is the same tactic, however. The goal is different. The goal is globalization...And you must silence all dissenting voices. That's what Hitler did. That's what Al Gore, the U.N., and everybody on the global warming bandwagon [are doing]."

And, my personal favorite:

"This president I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture....I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem. This guy is, I believe, a racist."

Nothing like having it both ways. The president is racist & hates white people...but he's not saying that he doesn't like people. But he's racist.

Just...wow.

To summarize:

"Even the leather-winged shouting heads at Fox News look like intellectual giants next to this bleating, benighted Cassandra. It's like someone found a manic, doom-prophesying hobo in a sandwich board, shaved him, shot him full of Zoloft and gave him a show." -- Buffalo Beast, naming Beck in its annual list of the 50 Most Loathsome People in America

lol whats wrong with all these quotes? They all have truth in them

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Hmmm... Are we talking live or recorded coverage here??? There is certainly a chance that recordings were made during such a monumental hearing in 1964.

It took me 15 seconds to find this info. Funny, I got this from the same source that Media Matters claims to have gotten their information. They clearly didn't read enough because the site senate.gov contradicts itself.

Few households in the United States owned television sets in November 1947 when the Senate, for the first time, allowed the televising of a committee hearing. From the 1950s through the 1970s, televised Senate hearings played a major part in shaping public opinion on topics ranging from organized crime and alleged communist infiltration of federal agencies to the war in Vietnam and the Watergate scandals.

www.senate.gov...

Once again from Senate.gov

Anticipating an impeachment trial for President Richard Nixon in 1974, the Senate quietly made provisions for the first live television coverage from its chamber. Several months after Nixon’s resignation made a trial unnecessary, the Senate took advantage of those preparations to telecast Nelson Rockefeller’s December 19 swearing-in as vice president.

Compare that to what is in the OP!! something is amiss on senate.gov. A lack of consistency... go figure...

Beck just wants to find the coverage if it exists. Come on...

When Strom Thurmond died the MSM was all over his segregationist history. Byrds less that stellar past was glazed over like a hot and now Krispy Kreme Donut. I would bet that many people watching these outlets don't even know that segregationists even existed in congress.

edit to add:
NEVER TRUST MEDIA MATTERS!!

[edit on 9-7-2010 by jibeho]

[edit on 9-7-2010 by jibeho]

[edit on 10-7-2010 by jibeho]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta

What I find funny is people spend time on Beck all the time and what he has to say, but they don't do the same with the people who we actually vote into office and that ACTUALLY affect our lives with their views.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

WOW, Glenn Beck made a mistake!

Now, did he give his first born as retribution?

So, in over 2 years you have found what? 1 or 2 mistakes? Better boil him in oil!

What the *Snip* is wrong with you folk?

Going to use conflagration against me? Especially since I went over this *Snip* before he did?

C'mon folk, I am such a better target than him!

Frell you and the asinine situation this has come upon.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/10/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Since YOU think he is lying, have you EVER called his show?
*Snip* ..... have you EVER asked a question?
*Snip*
Half of what he goes over, I have gone over. See here-

A little discussion about Revolution and the Declaration of Independance

ATS label all Global Warming threads as HOAX

A Declaration of Individual Sovereignty

SO, what we have here is a frelling wussy about declaring something.

You know, someone that has no person in the fight!

We can all talk about the asshat that wants to live here, but we have their own choice of deflecting and they ALSO have stated they cannot STAND the US of A. Hmmmmmmm, should we actually ask them or should we just ASSUME!?

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/10/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Probably because he's an appealing right wing idiot

"you wont see this on any other new networks their afraid to show it!"

(Israel raid video)

Other networks had aired the video BEFORE he did.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

Since YOU think he is lying, have you EVER called his show?
Anyone of you pieces of ..... have you EVER asked a question?
Frell you!
Half of what he goes over, I have gone over. See here-

A little discussion about Revolution and the Declaration of Independance

ATS label all Global Warming threads as HOAX

A Declaration of Individual Sovereignty

SO, what we have here is a frelling wussy about declaring something.

You know, someone that has no person in the fight!

We can all talk about the asshat that wants to live here, but we have their own choice of deflecting and they ALSO have stated they cannot STAND the US of A. Hmmmmmmm, should we actually ask them or should we just ASSUME!?

Easy there, just take a couple breaths, usually you're better than this. I like you, I've mentioned that before, because you usually keep a level head and argue ideas not talking points.

Beck lies and takes things out of context and to massive extremes. This is not because I disagree with the man that I attack him, there are plenty of people I disagree with and have great respect for. Judge Napolitano on Fox News is one of them, Governor Huckabee is another. I really do think they are good people whom hold different opinions than I do. I don't think that about Beck.

I have never spoken to the man myself, although I probably will get to within the next couple years at some event or another, but there are people I have talked to and respect more for having done so. We journalists do talk to each other, much as members of any other industry do. It's not exactly that we BBC News people go to the pub with Fox News people on a regular basis but we do talk.

As for calling his radio show or such, I haven't, it's on at a rather awkward time live for listening here in the UK, and I've only listened to it a few times actually, his television program I do watch on a rather regular basis, but not at the time slot when it is airing in the US, and he doesn't take calls directly on his TV show, except for that idiotic "red phone" he uses as a prop and challenges President Obama with.

I've made my critiques of Beck quite fully in other threads so I will just hit the overall point here: I think he has an agenda that is not that which a journalist should have, specifically he wants to see a major shift in government in the United States to a corporatist and lasse-faire capitalist state. In doing so he is trying to convince the American people of his narrative of history over and ignoring the factual historic record.

I truly do believe he is evil. I don't believe he has any interest in making the people more "free" or anything of the sort, and he certainly does not want them to have a greater degree of education. I believe he wants an end, and he is lying through his teeth to get it.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Beck is not lying about trying to find video of the 1964 filibuster. Television Cameras have been present on and off in the Senate since 1947 according to the senate website.

These Beck attacks are getting old. Focus on what the administration is doing right under our noses without even a twitch.

Clearly, the OP and Media Matters were just a little too quick to jump on the bandwagon on this issue.

Here is Senate footage from 1936. Just raises the question of possibility on a conspiracy website.

www.thoughtequity.com...

[edit on 10-7-2010 by jibeho]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join