It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free will v.s Gods will

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

for routine, habitual decisions, like which button to push then I can comprehend the seven second preprogramming that occurs.

However, that does not square with reality.
I have been in countless situations where my
decision to act was just shy of instantaneous.
So have you as well.

By instantaneous, I mean under one half of one second.

Have the researcher set up this experiment this way and determine the seven second predetermined facts.

Build a machine that holds a ten pound brick over the top of your left foot, at about knee high level, and a ten pound brick over the top of your right foot at about knee high level.

A hidden scientist pushes a button that randomly drops one or the other brick on to either your right or left foot. You have to decide in less than seven seconds which foot to move.

(In fact for an object to fall less that eighteen inches it takes about 0.007 seconds which is about 1,000 times faster than your seven seconds, isn't it?)

And there are tens of thousands car accidents prevented every day in violation of the seven second standard. And hundreds of thousands of farts that are not smelt in violation of the seven second standard, unless of course this is termed an habitual response.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787

I have been in countless situations where my
decision to act was just shy of instantaneous.
So have you as well.

By instantaneous, I mean under one half of one second.

I know what you speak of , you are driving along the road perhaps daydreaming about what favour of ice-cream to have after lunch - when suddenly something strikes the windscreen .
Cue ..... involuntary reflex action ! I jump out of my seat ,draw my hands closer to my face and flinch .
Most of such reflexes do not require being relayed to the brain for processing . A short cut called a `reflex arc` takes place by-passing the brain- routing the signal to the spinal cord instead, then on to a motor neuron with in turn stimulates the various muscles into action.

The speed of these actions/reactions would be greatly reduced if processing in the brain was necessary before action.

Such instantaneous actions do not involve the brain at all. (your example included)

===============================================

Consciousness , so it would seem, is an adaptation which we have acquired `relatively` recently .The physical structure of the human brain exhibits the various stages of development , a cross section of which , shows the various layers we have acquired over time essentially from the spinal cord up. They are roughly categorised into three parts, the brain stem our older `reptilian ` brain, or mid-brain / our mammalian brain, and our fore-brain - the higher centre responsible for all those things which we regard as essentially human.

A lot of our drives and impulses originate in the older core of our brains -subconsciously. Often the higher brain section is literally the last `to know` about them.... to become conscious of them, since consciousness resides primarily as a result of higher brain functions.

The mind is like a house .
Which once was a small simple cottage, but over time we have extended upward and outwards. Now we have a three story building , which in the new sections has newer wiring and plumbing, but the older wiring and plumbing is sill intact and still in use in the basement.

We are strange creatures .......

Perhaps you will enjoy these videos .(unfortunately the audio is a little out of synch).

[edit on 15-7-2010 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Free will God style.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

Regards
DL

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Not representative of the reality of free will in God's plans in the least.

Free will is enjoyed to guide humans via conscience into obedience to the moral rules of the universe.

Free will is also enslaving when employed in the absence of moral rules of conscience.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I believe we can choose (Free will). God already knows what you are going to choose though, and since there are thousands of people who can forsee the future, There has to be Gods will.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by alien101]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
gods will is two pronged
sovereign discovered via science
and
moral discovered by conscience.

Science is advancing rapidly and has done so for the past 100 years.

What science has discovered can leave the rest of us breathless and awestruck.

That is precisely the moment to avoid pride and to worship the Creator instead of the created or the persons theory (pride) who found the new discovery.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join