It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah may follow Arizona's lead on immigration law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Attention is focused on Arizona and the federal government's challenge to the state's strict new immigration law, but three other states could adopt similar legislation next year.

Lawmakers in Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah, which have already taken steps against illegal immigration, say that Arizona-style measures have a realistic chance of passing when their legislatures reconvene in 2011.

The Obama administration sued Arizona in federal court Tuesday, charging that the state law usurps federal authority, would hamper immigration enforcement and would lead to police harassment of those who have no proof of lawful status. The government asked that a federal judge stop the law from taking effect July 29.

Legislators in at least 17 other states introduced bills this year similar to the Arizona law, which allows officers to question anyone they suspect of being in the country illegally. But most of those measures are not considered likely to be adopted or signed by governors.

The political climate in Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah, however, improves the chances that state legislatures there could follow Arizona's lead in 2011.

In 2007, Oklahoma led the way on such laws by adopting legislation that makes it a felony to knowingly transport or shelter an illegal immigrant. It also blocked illegal immigrants from obtaining driver's licenses and in-state tuition.

State Rep. Randy Terrill (R), who sponsored the measure, has expressed a desire to go beyond the Arizona law when he introduces a bill next year that would seize property from businesses that knowingly employ illegal immigrants.

Terrill cited the arrest last week of an alleged Mexican drug cartel member in Oklahoma as evidence that an "Arizona-plus" measure is needed urgently. He said the effect of Arizona's law has been to push illegal immigrants "straight down Interstate 40" toward Oklahoma.

Vivek Malhotra, advocacy and policy counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union, said the administration's decision to sue Arizona could discourage other states from doing the same. But he also said that similar legislation may be adopted in 2011.

"After the other border states, it is natural to look at the states that have enacted the most anti-immigrant laws" before Arizona, Malhotra said. He said he expected Oklahoma, South Carolina and Utah to make the "most vigorous effort" to enact similar legislation early next year.

Ira Mehlman, spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, said he thinks the Obama administration designed the lawsuit against Arizona as a "shot across the bows" of all states considering similar moves. He said he doubts, though, that Terrill will be deterred.

"Randy Terrill has made this his issue in Oklahoma and has earned bipartisan support in the past," he said. "He is a determined guy and he is not going to back down too easily."

In Utah, state Rep. Stephen Sandstrom (R) has been making regular fact-finding trips to Arizona as he finalizes a draft bill. But, following the announcement of the federal suit, he said he may consider watering down one of the Arizona law's most contentious elements.

Under the law, state officers are instructed to check immigration status if they have a "reasonable suspicion" that a person is in the country illegally. Sandstrom said his measure may require officers to meet the higher legal standard of "probable cause" to suspect someone of being undocumented before checking.

"I don't want people of Hispanic descent to feel my bill is aimed at them," he said.

A Utah law that took effect last year made it illegal to harbor or employ undocumented workers. Gov. Gary R. Herbert (R) has said he expects to sign new immigration legislation next year and is meeting with all sides to find a way forward.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford (R) touted a comprehensive set of measures against illegal immigration as the nation's strictest when he signed it into law in 2008. The far-reaching legislation forced businesses to check the immigration status of their workers. Harboring and transporting illegal immigrants also became a state crime. State lawmakers are seeking to build on it and were quick this year to draw up an Arizona-style bill, introducing it less than a week after the Arizona measure was signed.

State Sen. Larry Martin (R) said in an interview that an Arizona-type measure was introduced too late this year. "But I have every expectation a new bill will be introduced in January," he said. "As long as an officer has a lawful reason to question someone, and then a suspicion develops [that] they are an undocumented person, then I think our law enforcement folks ought to be able to pursue that," he said.
www.washingtonpost.com...
By Michael W. Savage
Thursday, July 8, 2010; A04

OK, Liberals, take your blood pressure medicines: www.drudgereport.com...
I have also read the law pass my the state of Missouri and that is a Great Law too.
I do believe this states are looking at ways preserve their economy or are they finally listen to their the people who pay their salaries.

For what ever reason, lets hope after our Law Suit from our beloved POTUS, Arizona opens the door for other state to follow suit with their own laws.
That's my take on it.

I know you'll all be whining ( like Lindsay Lohan ) soon about, the inhuman treatment of illegals and how Racist we are and illegals take nothing but give all. You have to know That's All Bull Sh$t. Illegal is Illegal and That's means Illegal!
MODS: Please move or remove at your discretion.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
WHAT? Nobody wants to read how other states are going to abuse the poor illegal that's only here to work and make a better life for themselves.

I say DEPORT them ALL! I don't believe in the Anchor Babies Policy. I believe that if your here and can't come through our front door like so many others have, you don't truly want to be part of our society, which explains why you have no desire to learn English.

It's not hard to figure out. Sneak in, move into a house with 3 other families to save money, find a job from some greedy fool that pays you and your friend sh*t and send as much monies home as you can. Then leave and live off the exchange rate, When those funds are used up, come on back and do it again.

Why learn our language or get car insurance or abide by our laws at all, because, you don't care about America, it's just an open wallet to you.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I was just hearing on the radio that one of the articles (11?) states that the POTUS can't sue a state on behalf of a foreign power it is HI TREASON.

edit to add
"Earlier today, ABC reported that Attorney General Eric Holder will likely file his lawsuit against Arizona over its immigration law next week. Now, the AP reports: "Lawyers for Mexico on Tuesday submitted a legal brief in support of one of five lawsuits challenging the law. The law will take effect June 29 unless implementation is blocked by a court."

NBC has more:
The government of Mexico today formally joined a lawsuit in federal court challenging Arizona's new immigration law, saying that the highest levels of the Mexican government have grave concerns about it.
www.thefoxnation.com...

Obama Commits Act of High Treason; Sides with Foreign Power Against Arizona
www.congresscheck.com...

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I was just hearing on the radio that one of the articles (11?) states that the POTUS can't sue a state on behalf of a foreign power it is HI TREASON.

edit to add
"Earlier today, ABC reported that Attorney General Eric Holder will likely file his lawsuit against Arizona over its immigration law next week. Now, the AP reports: "Lawyers for Mexico on Tuesday submitted a legal brief in support of one of five lawsuits challenging the law. The law will take effect June 29 unless implementation is blocked by a court."

NBC has more:
The government of Mexico today formally joined a lawsuit in federal court challenging Arizona's new immigration law, saying that the highest levels of the Mexican government have grave concerns about it.
www.thefoxnation.com...

Thanks Danbones
I think this POTUS believes he is above our Laws. I truly believe that. He is a nightmare a really bad dream.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
OK, Bump.

Has any one here gone to this web-site Border Invasion Pics at
www.borderinvasionpics.com...

Now all these illegals can not be Mexicans and i know their not and you know their not. So, How many Bad Guys and Gals are coming through our open borders?

Take a look at the above site. I know their not all staying in Arizona or New Mexico now Texas is a really large state they could easily absorb the majority.

We all know California is just one large Sanctuary State

So as long as they're leaving Arizona, That's fine by me.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am proud to be the first to flag this thread. When are people going to wake up? When are people going to revolt against ignorant politicians who just want to buy the hispanic vote? In November, of course. Unless 11 million illegal aliens show up at the polls with their stolen identities to vote using ballots printed in Spanish.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Yes, it is high treason and as we speak the federal government is committing it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
el prezidente just addressed congress regarding gun control laws to be inflicted on the US border -75,000 guns- many of which are full auto and couldn't have come from normal US gun dealers or through civie channels...

looks like a hoodie- plaid shirt - blue jean uniform invasion doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Someone should sue the federal government for breaking laws. Maybe Arizona should file a countersuit for breach of contract in that the federal government is not guarding the borders and is falling down on national security.

In addition, the federal government is apparently or allegedly collecting "tax" money from illegal sources and making NO effort to track down the source. Isn't that pursuable under RICO or something?

Ugh I spelled borders wrong. *Screamssssssssss

[edit on 7/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I am proud to be the first to flag this thread. When are people going to wake up? When are people going to revolt against ignorant politicians who just want to buy the hispanic vote? In November, of course. Unless 11 million illegal aliens show up at the polls with their stolen identities to vote using ballots printed in Spanish.

Thank You My Friend

They are not going to wake up. Many of these people live in the Nannies States, all their needs are catered too, Look at San Francisco, bans sugary drink vending on city property, releases guidelines for making pot brownies and their latest, San Fran considers banning sale of pets! San Francisco is a self proclaimed Sanctuary City, isn't it.

It is because of What They Have Elected to Represent Their City and State.

You're right we need to vote them all out and get our W.H. and Congress back to the people.
Come on people, don't vote with the tingly feeling your getting, try voting with your HEAD!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Someone should sue the federal government for breaking laws. Maybe Arizona should file a countersuit for breach of contract in that the federal government is not guarding the boarders and is falling down on national security.

In addition, the federal government is apparently or allegedly collecting "tax" money from illegal sources and making NO effort to track down the source. Isn't that pursuable under RICO or something?

YES, YES, YES. WE CAN and WE SHOULD!

I'm not and never have proclaimed to be a lawyer, but i know we have many here on ATS, please come to our rescue and answer ~Lucidity post for us.
Is It Possible? Yes, I know about impeachment. But we need some of OUR MONIES BACK in OUR WALLETS! I say Class Action Suit, Lets Sue These Bastar@s.

Ok, My rants over with for the moment.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I didnt realize Utah had a problem. Or maybe they are just worried about people leaving AZ.

Anyways, this is a good sign. With Obama losing the first round in AZ, it showed the justice department is completely incompetent in looking at the Constitution. When the Feds get trounced again, it will open up a floodgate of new state laws around the nation taking back the 10th Ammendment. Who knows, maybe even open the door for cross-state medical insurance which would quickly gain more popularity than Obamacare.

The feds made a mistake in going after AZ in this matter when they should have stepped in and done their jobs instead of taking them to court. It could be a very long couple of years for this administration battling states in courts constantly trying to defend their own skewed vision of our nations charter.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I have a feeling that if the Feds pursue this case
that AZ will secede from the US and claim sovereignty.
They need to so the Feds have no juris-dic-tion.

What AZ needs MOST of all is multiple states to pass
the very same law. The Feds can't sue ALL the states
independently.

I vote for AZ secession !!!!!

to he!! with the Feds who can't do their jobs and
waste money on law suits on states who enforce
their own laws.

AZ Gov said in an article today to Obama.

DO YOUR JOB !!!!

And she is exactly right

Way to go Jan

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

their own laws.

Once one goes, the dominos start to tumble. Texas, Utah, OK, AK(not that anyone would miss us), MT, maybe SC. Then all the southern states kick in, "the South shall rise again", Ive been hearing that for 30 years.

Would be complete and utter chaos, maybe a new Constitutional Convention would rise out of this, which would be rather interesting as no one is really concerned for the betterment of the Union, rather their pet interest. If AZ files to secceed the Union, all bets are off, and the Fed better realize that if force is used, its going to get very ugly in every state.

I really hope it doesnt come to that and AZ wins this thing and more and more states start to pass their own laws restricting what the Feds can not get away with any longer. I really dont want civil war.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
I have a feeling that if the Feds pursue this case
that AZ will secede from the US and claim sovereignty.
They need to so the Feds have no juris-dic-tion.

What AZ needs MOST of all is multiple states to pass
the very same law. The Feds can't sue ALL the states
independently.

their own laws.

AZ Gov said in an article today to Obama.

DO YOUR JOB !!!!

And she is exactly right

Way to go Jan

It would be funny to see the state of AZ try and break off from the United States. The local government would be executed in a public venue for treason.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Reply to post by Procession101

Ridiculous.

1.) The people of Arizona pretty much support their local governments.

2.) Treason as a very specific meaning, and secession is not one of them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Secession would be giving up. The federal government just needs a good spanking to remind them what their responsibilities and limits are and what they are not. If that fails...well then I guess we might be even further along our way to the Divided States of America.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The President and Mexico are going to sue Arizona?

Hmmmm...
Hows that hope and change working for ya?

Linky

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Procession101

Ridiculous.

1.) The people of Arizona pretty much support their local governments.

2.) Treason as a very specific meaning, and secession is not one of them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Lemon.Fresh, How Right You Are, we pretty much support our Governor.
It's Obama (Dear Leader), Janet Napolitano (BIG SIS) and Nancy Palosi ( Stretch Face or Frozen Face), now they'd more than likely get lynched for treason.

new topics

top topics

join