It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie sites being taken down, "seized" and replaced

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by problemsolvr

haha. exactly!

Humans have crated, molded, and spun off of ideas from other humans. That's how we grow!

Now, I have nothing wrong with giving an inventor place in history, documenting that he/she did the incredible feat of inventing, and he she should definitely charge for creation of said good and benefit from their hard work. But that does not mean that nobody else should be able to use, create, distribute, sell it freely. Intellectual property is just a clamp to slow down human progress.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This is exactly what I didnt want this thread to turn into. I stated clearly in my original post that I simply do not care for your oppinion on piracy. This topic was intended to be about sites being shut down for no reason even if they didnt commit a crime.

What people are seemingly failing to read, even though ive already posted it multiple times here, is that these site are NOT hosting an files or content. They are not even linking to a torrent. All they are doing is linking to a site not even owned by them and it's being considered illegal.

It was not my intention to spark a piracy arguement on why it is or isnt right. It was my intention to bring into the light that honest website owned and operated by americans are being shut down for absolutely no reason and it goes against the consititution to do so.

I dont care if you're a good actor, bad actor, or hanging to a childish dream of becoming a movie star. do your thing. The simple fact is that actor do NOT make good money until they 'make it big'. If you get paid in donuts and thank yous its not piracys fault. its because you're in a business that only rewards the top 2%.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

Sorry buddy

Anyway, they could just say these sites are basicaly aiding and abeting a crime, The Pirate Bay got away with it for a few years because technicaly they didnt actualy host any illegal content, which is true, they dont, they just facilitate peoples ability to share it amongst themselves.

Though there was obviously a lot of political pressure involved in that raid, the sites still open, but its founders are in jail.

Awesome justice at work, wtf.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze

Sorry buddy

Anyway, they could just say these sites are basicaly aiding and abeting a crime, The Pirate Bay got away with it for a few years because technicaly they didnt actualy host any illegal content, which is true, they dont, they just facilitate peoples ability to share it amongst themselves.

Though there was obviously a lot of political pressure involved in that raid, the sites still open, but its founders are in jail.

Awesome justice at work, wtf.

pirate bay continues to baffle me. theyre going after these small sites while that mega site is still running? u can literally access anything that you could ever want from movies, music, media, e-books or information from just that one link and theyre going after small movie sites that also dont host any files.

I havent exactly followed pirate bay much, but I did hear the owners are in jail. How exactly is the site still running without ...nobody running it?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Starred! Stealing another man's intellectual property is not OK.

To the OP. If I told thieves where you lived so they could steal from you, would that be OK?

[edit on 7-7-2010 by groingrinder]

[edit on 7-7-2010 by groingrinder]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewJay
This is exactly what I didnt want this thread to turn into. I stated clearly in my original post that I simply do not care for your oppinion on piracy. This topic was intended to be about sites being shut down for no reason even if they didnt commit a crime.

What people are seemingly failing to read, even though ive already posted it multiple times here, is that these site are NOT hosting an files or content. They are not even linking to a torrent. All they are doing is linking to a site not even owned by them and it's being considered illegal.

Seems to always happen, eh?
Though, I think this turned into a thread about what actually IS the crime of intellectual property. Those words that create the link were created by someone, and thus that person and their family require a royalty, no? Of course not! the link contains words, those words travel through the internet to another place being hosted on a server, blazing through cables that we all pay for. We're arguing that there actually is no crime EVEN if the videos were hosted. And since they're not hosted, it should be a non issue. But the govt always wants a piece, don't they?

I dont care if you're a good actor, bad actor, or hanging to a childish dream of becoming a movie star. do your thing. The simple fact is that actor do NOT make good money until they 'make it big'. If you get paid in donuts and thank yous its not piracys fault. its because you're in a business that only rewards the top 2%.

This is a VERY good observation. The industry is self destructive. It needs no outside force to enable it to fall in on itself.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

How exactly is the site still running without ...nobody running it?

Well what happend, during the court court prosecutions of the owners of the site, they decided to put the website up for sale. The Pirate Bay was then purchased by a company who promised to turn into a legitamate service like Napster, however this never happend and it became apparent the company who bought the Pirate Bay was registerd to an off shore tax haven and was basicaly a shell corporation that doesnt exist anywhere other than on paper lol.

They pretty much sold it and bought it themselves, however this allows the site to operate without any fear of further legal action as there is no one to take to court lol. Kinda sneaky, plus Sweden actualy has pretty lax laws regarding file sharing its basicaly legal it was only through some very serious international pressure from America were they arrested.

Read some of the responses they put up on there site when they reply to emails from Disneys and Sonys lawyers over the years, funny as hell.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You're right, I'm overreacting.

WRONG.

Of course we all "copy" each other, but since we don't live in only "communes" or "communities", then this isn't "communism" and my work isn't free to be shared with all. In all honesty, intellectual property holds value, for people have been binding and selling their works for many years now. It's nothing new.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

It's a new concept for a new age.

No one is stealing physical DVDs (and if they did, that'd be a crime). What they're doing is making replicas. In fact, they are producing with out touching the original, in effect, the opposite of stealing, making more!

There is an unlimited amount of copies, as it is just data. 1s and 0s.

Also, you people are missing the big picture. The point of the copyright, is to stop people from a) release it as their own, or b) bootleg copies and sell as original for profit.

Software/Music/Video/Data pirating does none of this. It makes a digital copy (non-existent in real life aside from a pattern of 1s and 0s on a hard disk), and that copy (replicated pattern stored in a file [also nothing more than 1s and 0s acting as a container for the other 1s and 0s]) is usually (especially in the case of torrents) released WITH information of the original creators, copyright dates, and anything else about the engineers, authors, artists, musicians etc. that created the original piece.

Now you could say that those 1 and 0 patterns should be copyrighted. But that's just ludicrous. I'll copyright the 1s and 0s for a blue pixel, and every who creates, copies, sells, or sees a blue pixel has to pay me royalty. That's just stupid.

So then you say, well, the pattern needs to be large enough to be able to be differentiated from normal low level things like single words, colors, numbers etc.

Ah, fine. Torrenting (and even video/audio streaming, like the OP) STILL are legal when you take that into effect, as the 1s and 0s that are distributed are SOOO small, the inherent patterns mean NOTHING (and are therefore null of any copyright infringement). Only on the other end when put back together, do those 1s and 0s mean anything.

The process, as I've mention before, is the same as a Star Trek replicator. Now, if you want to deny people food and water shelter clothing etc. in the future, because "digitally replicating matter into patterns that can be reconstructed" offends someone who's goods are being replicated....Then I'd say we as a human species are abhorrent.

This is a NNNEEEWWWW field, computers (personal ones anyway), have only had the ability to digitally copy and send things in the last 30 some odd years. The copyright laws are OUTDATED at best, and INCONGRUENT with society today. The only reason this is an issue, is because the digital age is still young, and the people at the top want a stranglehold on freedom so they can keep their grips on their riches.

As for the communist remark. I'm a full blooded anarcho-capitalist, and even I see "intellectual property" as an oxymoron. Should my parents sue me for replicating their DNA without consent or for not paying royalties?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Arcane Demesne

It should also be noted downloading, copying or sharing any sort of copy righted material is actualy legal. As per U.S trade law.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It should also be known that THINKING is also illegal,
Don't do it.
Dont question why.
Just do what youre told, because some a$$hole$ tells you to.
that is the amerikan way.
'

anyone against file sharing.. of any effing kind..
either you have no idea WTF youre talking about, or all you see is $$$ signs.
go chug bleach. do the world a favor.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

How exactly is the site still running without ...nobody running it?

Well what happend, during the court court prosecutions of the owners of the site, they decided to put the website up for sale. The Pirate Bay was then purchased by a company who promised to turn into a legitamate service like Napster, however this never happend and it became apparent the company who bought the Pirate Bay was registerd to an off shore tax haven and was basicaly a shell corporation that doesnt exist anywhere other than on paper lol.

They pretty much sold it and bought it themselves, however this allows the site to operate without any fear of further legal action as there is no one to take to court lol. Kinda sneaky, plus Sweden actualy has pretty lax laws regarding file sharing its basicaly legal it was only through some very serious international pressure from America were they arrested.

Read some of the responses they put up on there site when they reply to emails from Disneys and Sonys lawyers over the years, funny as hell.

lmao thats awesome.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

reply to post by Arcane Demesne

It should also be noted downloading, copying or sharing any sort of copy righted material is actualy legal. As per U.S trade law.

en.wikipedia.org...

Great link. Here's a great block from that source with a quote from the CEO of the Computer and Communications Industry Association. I think others on this board who don't understand this situation should get it directly from the mouths of the people who actually know what and why the digital age and copyright need to fundamentally change at its core and expand fair use.

The economic benefit of fair use

A balanced copyright law provides an economic benefit to many high tech businesses such as search engines and software developers and Fair Use is also crucial to non-technology industries such as insurance, legal services, and newspaper publishers.[23] On September 12, 2007, the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA),[23] a group representing companies including Google Inc., Microsoft Inc.,[24] Oracle Corporation, Sun Microsystems, Yahoo[25] and other high tech companies, released a study that found that Fair Use exceptions to US copyright laws were responsible for more than $4,500 billion dollars in annual revenue for the United States economy representing one-sixth of the total U.S. GDP.[23] The study was conducted using a methodology developed by the World Intellectual Property Organization.[23] The study found that fair use dependent industries are directly responsible for more than 18% of U.S. economic growth and nearly 11 million American jobs.[23] “As the United States economy becomes increasingly knowledge-based, the concept of fair use can no longer be discussed and legislated in the abstract. It is the very foundation of the digital age and a cornerstone of our economy,” said Ed Black, President and CEO of CCIA.[23] “Much of the unprecedented economic growth of the past ten years can actually be credited to the doctrine of fair use, as the Internet itself depends on the ability to use content in a limited and nonlicensed manner."[23]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join