It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie sites being taken down, "seized" and replaced

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I will only speak on one site here even though there are many others that are going through the same thing. The reason why I choose to speak on just one is because I feel "safe" posting it's link here now that it's no longer linking to movies.

www.watch-movies-tv.info

In the past if you were to simply google the word "watch" or "movies" this site would pop up on the top of the list. In recent months however, there has been an increase in "clones" that are basically the same site, but with a bunch of ads that produce revenue for "someone".

Now I'm not going to say that I've ever visited the above link when it was up and running because with OBAMANET I honestly fear that any word I type could land me in jail or something worse, but I've been watching the above link get taken down and put back up on google sometimes 3-4 times a day for the past week. The funny thing is that the "clone" site that has all those ads generating revenue for "someone" is still on the top of the list and hasnt been touched. Odd.

If you follow the above link you can see a big message above the top that states:

As of today, this site will no longer provide movies for viewing. We are transiting from movie links into a movie community that has a great format for in depth movie discussions...We hope you bear with us and join us in the very near future...We value all our members and hope to see you at the new site very soon. Please do not see CLONED look-a-like sites and think it is this site, many will attempt to fool people in this way.. The staff thanks you for bearing with us...

Which basically says the same thing I just told you. In a nut shell this site, along with many others like it, are being threatend on a daily basis and demanded to remove their function which is to post links to other websites. There is no hosting of any illegal content being done on any of these sites. The last time I checked, linking to another site wasnt illegal, but now with OBAMANET who knows?

Ladies and gentlemen if my fear of posting a simple link to another website on the net hasnt already sounded alarms in your head, the simple fact that this is happening while other sites that are seemingly paying the rottweilers off are able to function should do so. This not only steps on the constitution, but takes a royal crap all over it. This is freedom of speech people and it's being taken away from us right infront of our eyes. If the government doesnt like something you're doing, the tyranical bastards will stop you even if it means throwing away an innocent person's rights.

I honestly dont care where you stand on piracy issues or what your oppinions are on the ability to watch movies or download music online. That is not what this is about. This is about websites being threatend and demanded to stop function for commiting no act of crime or hosting of illegal content. We already seen this done with youtube. The same music is hosted but theres a 15-30 second ad infront of it. If a user uploads the same video without the add it gets removed within hours. Basically they know they cant stop the flow of content (YET!) so they'll tax the # out of it until they can.

All I ask is why cant they just leave people alone? Why must they have their hand in EVERYONE'S pocket trying to steal more and more money no matter what it is you try and do in this country? Just throw the constitution out the window, take people's jobs, homes, livelihood, and now their entertainment and freedom of speech. WHAT THE HELL MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME?! MY SOUL? This is not america and this is not freedom.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by AndrewJay]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
the are just removing some of them,
like movies-links.com....

try this one on for size.. lol
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b9756928144.jpg[/atsimg]

fn dicks.
spend your time on something worthwhile.
you'll never win this one.
f.y. lol

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Unbelievable. This is freedom? "SEIZED" = freedom?

I guess we all wanted change and now we're getting it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AndrewJay

funny the irony in the campaign slogan.. "yes we can"....

they are trying to stop this and tell us we CAN'T.

but it will continue...
as we say YES WE CAN! lol

such petty bull$|-|!t.
with soo much focus put into it.

no surprise..
these "people" are fn retards.

it's like their mental retardation has just evolved over the years,
and instead of getting better as time goes by,
they just get dumber, and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber ......

'welcome to the united snakes
land of the thief home of the slave,
grand imperial guard where the dollar is sacred n proud'
brother ali.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If they don't commit act of crimes, they wouldn't be seized. Easy as that. With those sites you can access all kind of movies and nobody really cares about the old stuff, it's about the newer movies that you can watch in a #ty stream the same time it runs in cinemas.
Does anyone of you realize, that this is just not good? A new movie gets released, a lot of people live from the money they earn from the cinema-run, most of all the cinema and it's staff. If all people start to watch those #ty "made in russia"-screeners, cinemas will cease to exist. A lot of cinemas already get closed down, a lot of people lost their jobs, just because some idiots think streams are cool and it's cool to act against the law.

There's a reason why video rental stores died, the same reason will kill cinemas, if people don't stop and realize what they're doing.

Besides: What's so great about those streaming sites? The video window is small and the picture and sound quality is god-awful (which makes the full-screen feature useless, unless you like to look a a pixelated mess), especially compared to Blu-Ray.

I for one say: Go and kill all those stupid streaming sites!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
If they don't commit act of crimes, they wouldn't be seized. Easy as that. With those sites you can access all kind of movies and nobody really cares about the old stuff, it's about the newer movies that you can watch in a #ty stream the same time it runs in cinemas.
Does anyone of you realize, that this is just not good? A new movie gets released, a lot of people live from the money they earn from the cinema-run, most of all the cinema and it's staff. If all people start to watch those #ty "made in russia"-screeners, cinemas will cease to exist. A lot of cinemas already get closed down, a lot of people lost their jobs, just because some idiots think streams are cool and it's cool to act against the law.

There's a reason why video rental stores died, the same reason will kill cinemas, if people don't stop and realize what they're doing.

Besides: What's so great about those streaming sites? The video window is small and the picture and sound quality is god-awful (which makes the full-screen feature useless, unless you like to look a a pixelated mess), especially compared to Blu-Ray.

I for one say: Go and kill all those stupid streaming sites!

The problem is those sites arent doing anything illegal by linking to other website. They do not host any content on any part of their site. Every movie on their site is linked to another site. Nothing illegal is being done.

Theatres will never die. People like to go out and have a good time. People like to go "take in a show". Even if you could watch the same thing for free, people will still go out just to go out. The newer movies arent being hurt 1 bit by any of this just the like music industry was never hurt and is still as strong as it ever was. Guess who was hurt? The stores that sold cds. Thats what happens when the mp3 is invented. New technology comes in and phases the old stuff out. Hows your cassette and vhs tapes doing? Not so well I imagine.

The government isnt doing this because they care about the entertainment industry. I would believe they were if the industry was being hurt in any way shape or form. We still have movies stars walking around with millions of dollars. We still have huge movie budgets and the industry is actually evolving. No. Theyre doing this because they want the money. Any freedom you have will be stripped from you. If they can make money by "seizing" something that is generating it for someone else they will.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by AndrewJay]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I'm in the entertainment/movie industry, just barely making a living as an extra/crew and watching a pirated movie, that I worked on is stealing from me.

As an artist/craftsman, I hope they shut all the movie torrent sites down.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahmose

Oh, I see ICE has some reassigned priorities. Business must have been slow. Very interesting indeed.

(I know how this relates to customs...just couldn't resist.)

[edit on 7/7/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

I'm in the entertainment/movie industry, just barely making a living as an extra/crew and watching a pirated movie, that I worked on is stealing from me.

Theyre not torrent sites all they do is simply link to other website that host the video. Lets be honest here you didnt make money on your movie probably because it sucked or because you havent 'made it' to the point that you need to be to make a living in your line of work.

Not all of us are cut out to be movie stars buddy.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewJay

Theyre not torrent sites all they do is simply link to other website that host the video. Lets be honest here you didnt make money on your movie probably because it sucked or because you havent 'made it' to the point that you need to be to make a living in your line of work.

That's truly an ass-backwards mentality. How about you become a wood craftsman and have some of your work for display in the front yard. Every time you go outside a new piece is missing, and the reason you hear they're being STOLEN is because they're too expensive and you're not that good at it anyway. B.S. You STEAL because you WANT to. The thing about life is nobody is responsible for your actions but you, therefore any excuse you can make for STEALING is just that, an EXCUSE. How would I look as a dad if I told my son, "It's ok, go make that limewire account." Just because I did it when I was younger doesn't make it right.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Lets be honest here you didnt make money on your movie probably because it sucked or because you havent 'made it' to the point that you need to be to make a living in your line of work.

That's not being honest! That's using a dumbass assumption to try and uphold a losing argument. Not even a very credible try.

You don't even know what movies I worked on; usually as a PA in the art department. Somtimes extra/background. Speaking parts on Indys though!

You are correct here but we should be paid fairly for a job well done and not be stolen from in increments by thieves.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
why haven't they shut down google, bing, yahoo?

All these provide links to torrent sites?!?

One rule for one, one for another spending millions of dollars on government lobbying...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Sorry but if your getting crappy wages, your getting crappy wages because you either have a # paying job or the company you work for are a bunch of cheap ass rip off merchents. Its not because of piracy im affraid.

People are pretty ignorant of what internet piracy is actualy all about and the issues involved in it, you will find people who download music, movies etc "illegaly" actualy spend more money on media than any other group of people. Oh but wait????, how can this be???

Pirates, spend more money on music and films than anyone else?, yet they are killing corporate proffit margins???. It surely cant be #ing idiot actors demanding more than 20million dollars a part, exuberent taxes and corporate greed thats killing the industry!, oh no, its pirates.

Righty how then, ill just go and find some communist hiding under my bed shall I?, BECAUSE WE ALL KNOW THERE IS A GLOBAL COMMUNIST CONSPIRACY AT LARGE ISNT THERE, or wait, was that a few decades ago?, piracy is being blamed now?, ok then, sure why not!

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Johnze]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by newBodyoldSoul

That's truly an ass-backwards mentality. How about you become a wood craftsman and have some of your work for display in the front yard. Every time you go outside a new piece is missing, and the reason you hear they're being STOLEN is because they're too expensive and you're not that good at it anyway. B.S. You STEAL because you WANT to. The thing about life is nobody is responsible for your actions but you, therefore any excuse you can make for STEALING is just that, an EXCUSE. How would I look as a dad if I told my son, "It's ok, go make that limewire account." Just because I did it when I was younger doesn't make it right.

Ok. I wasn't going to get involved, but this statement is utterly and hopelessly false.

Pirating a movie is NOT going to the warehouse and cutting a piece of the tape and taking a portion away. it is a replica. Your analogy is a farce. If you wanted to use a proper analogy:

Your work is on display in your front yard, and some one copies the blueprint to make one of his own, OR he uses a star trek replicator to do the same. He does not pay you for it, yet you are not stolen from PHYSICALLY, you just have had your creation duplicated (perhaps infringing on intellectual rights). That's what we're discussing here. Intellectual rights, NOT physical objects.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Arcane Demesne

Wait what?!?!, you mean PIRACY IS LEGALY NOT THEFT???

IT IS ACTUALY COPY RIGHT VIOLATION AND AN INFRINGEMENT OF ARCHAIC INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAWS?!?!?!?!

woah, and to think i could have spent my days listening to every piece of #ing drivel i hear in the mainstream media, actualy believing the utter #ing bull# they print and use it to brainwash the ignorant retarded masses with.

Cheers Arcane.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
reply to post by whaaa

Sorry but if your getting crappy wages, your getting crappy wages because you either have a # paying job or the company you work for are a bunch of cheap ass rip off merchents. Its not because of piracy im affraid.

Perhaps you should read my post again. Nowhere did I say that I am getting crappy wages. I said that I am barely making a living. That's because I am supporting 4 people, a mortgage, 2 car payments plus all the other expenses of being a bread winner. Actually I am quite well payed, it's just not enough.

I still maintain that watching pirated movies is theft of intellectual property of the people that invested in and worked on the project. You can make all the rationalizations you want but it changes nothing.

Now go play with your wii wii kid! See, I can be insulting too.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

If you wanted to use a proper analogy: Your work is on display in your front yard, and some one copies the blueprint to make one of his own, OR he uses a star trek replicator to do the same. He does not pay you for it, yet you are not stolen from PHYSICALLY, you just have had your creation duplicated (perhaps infringing on intellectual rights). That's what we're discussing here. Intellectual rights, NOT physical objects.
reply to post by Arcane Demesne

Did you copy this thought process from someone else or is this an original idea? When you get an education from the public school systems can you sue them for pirating intellectual ideas? Because they are copying ideas from the past to put into your mind. So should they be sued for duplicating the creation of those ideas in the textbooks, or should they be freely given? If I was like the movie industry, I would charge you for reading this and not let you ever copy these ideas without payment of my intellectual intellect. Or should I freely let you read this to know and help creation????.......

[edit on 7-7-2010 by problemsolvr]

[edit on 7-7-2010 by problemsolvr]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Indeed. This nonsense has gone too far.

I guess they use the word theft, because in their minds, we're stealing money that could possibly be made. But their argument there is also farce.

Does McDonalds sue Burger King because Burger King 'stole' the idea of a hamburger? Actually, that's not really a proper analogy either.

Ok, here we go. This is actually exactly how this will play out in the future if these copyright laws keeping getting enforced with this archaic sense of intellectual property laws.

EXAMPLE:

McDonalds, pays for some one to create and design a hamburger. They pay to have the food grown/created. They pay to have it delivered, and they pay to have it cooked and housed. Then they pay someone to serve it to you.

They do all this in HOPES that they can charge someone money and profit. Nothing wrong with that. I'm a capitalist. I enjoy people making things for me to make my life easier.

But now a scientist has created a molecular replicator, and Joe Blow buys one. He programs a blue print for a hamburger (probably from placing a hamburger into a molecular decompiler [how he got the McDonald's hamburger is irrelevant]), and lo and behold...Another Hamburger is created.

He now distributes these hamburgers to third world countries feeding the needy.

What's that you say? McDonald's deserves a cut?! Joe stole from McDonald's?! He should be fined HEAVILY by the government and food lobbies because he replicated a piece of intellectual property, and distributed it freely!!!! And all those people who ate Joe's hamburgers should be tried and imprisoned as well!!!

Sounds fair to me.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
love when people talk about # they clearly have no idea about.
if you can't handle file sharing, then you should just GTF off the planet now..
because the future is not going to be your "cup of tea".
people in the movie industry, do not lose # from people watching new things online.
These people have more money than they could wipe their ass with,
they arent going to go hungry because some poor people watched their #ty movie online.

but most of the people who watched the #ty movie online will probably be hungry.

If youre "in the industry" and are "barely making it"
then you should really go stand in the bathroom,
in front of that mirror you pretty yourself in every morning,
and probably 5 more times throughout the day
(since you apparently arent working enough to "make it". you have time)
and think about why you are "barely making it", while others get paid 50million to act out some retarded part in some retarded movie.

Look,
Nobody goes poor because of file sharing. OF ANY KIND. Period.
This is about control, and people with their heads soo far up their a$$e$ all they see is $$$$$$$$$ signs.
Quit fn crying.

Welcome to the future...
there's a box of tissues by the door on the way out.

god some people make me

you use the tissues to dry your eyes,
ill use the garbage can to puke in.

Deny what?
I dunno.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join