It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Madrid Fault surface rupture of the roads and highways

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ddarkangle2bad

Thanks for posting, I used to live up there, in northwest Indiana. Living in the Ohio River Valley now, probably not much safer, but at least we don't get tornadoes here as much, they don't work so well in mountains.

I too believe planet Earth is about to turn on Her axis once more, thus destroying all that man has made. I saw this all played out in a waking vision back in 1999. Humanity will all be thrust into the Spirit World in an instant. This is where we either submit to more control, or break free of those who keep us prisoner. Remember, in this state, whatever is thought becomes reality instantaneously, so it will be good if anger or fear doesn't not enter the equation. Some of us are about the destruction of the matrix machinery, so that mankind will always be free. All comers welcomed in this venture.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Getting scary again.

I would want to move away from that fault line, but not too close to Yellowstone, or the California fault line, or the Gulf...

To Autowrench: Saskatchewan had an F3 tornado a couple of days ago, close to Raymore. Unusual. Tornadoes are very rare here.
I just hope whatever happens is painless. Not afraid of the next world, just the process of getting there.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I think its just a natural phenomena:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

can someone tell me which side of this fault is sinking and which is rising,,

I believe the geological term you are looking for in this system would be rift zones...

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
All that is just from the first page of a Google search. Your friend probably did not write the e-mail. He copied and pasted. No legitimate sources came up. Of course we're likely to have an earthquake at some point, because we're on a fault.

Is the only reason your friend "believes we are about to get hit with a earthquake of biblical proportions" is because he read this and took it for face value?

Does he live in the area or was that just part of the e-mail that you copied and pasted? If he lives in the area, can he verify any of this as being true??? Any legitimate sources?

For real. I'm tired of people just re-posting the same un-authenticated crap. All that does is spread fear without any basis in reality at all. Whoever started that set of posts on various forums is just trying to freak people out.

I call total bull-s__t unless some REAL links to MSM sources showing pictures of the alleged "damage" and scientific backup that it's all related. This anecdotal stuff is crap.

(now, UFO's or big-foot, that would be News!)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by boo1981
reply to post by Antoniastar

I found your link very interesting, has me glued to the screen lol
On reading through the site i found a number of interesting things, this being the most interesting.......

Gulf Quake Felt From La. to Fla.
Sep 10, 2006

The largest earthquake to strike the eastern Gulf of Mexico in the last 30 years sent shock waves from Louisiana to southwest Florida Sunday, but did little more than rattle residents. The magnitude 6.0 earthquake, centered about 260 miles southwest of Tampa, was too small to trigger a tsunami or dangerous waves. The USGS received more than 2,800 reports from people who felt the 10:56 a.m. quake. Scientists said it was the largest and most widely felt of more than a dozen earthquakes recorded in the region in three decades. The most prevalent vibration, which lasted for about 20 seconds, was felt on the gulf coast of Florida and in southern Georgia. But residents in Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana also called in reports. The epicenter is an unusual location for earthquake activity, but scientists recorded a magnitude 5.2 temblor in the same location on Feb. 10. The temblor was unusual because it was not centered on a known fault line.

Hi boo1981,

haha I know huh! Had me glued too!! I think part of my eyeball is still stuck to the screen.

Oooo that IS interesting...how unusual. I missed this one, thanks for bringing it before my attention. So is it saying that the epicenter for both quakes is eastern G.O.M., 260 miles southeast of Tampa, Florida? That's bizarre that both the 6.0 and the 5.2 happened on the 10th day of the month, 5 months apart. Strange coincidence. Well so if the epicenter wasn't on the New Madrid fault line or any other known fault line, then I wonder if there has been any kind of investigation to find out what caused two quakes to radiate from the "same location".

Do you think it's another fault? Maybe it has to do with plate slippage or maybe the unstable and weak sub-terrain of the G.O.M.??

I'm adding a map showing a 6.8er coming from the New Madrid seismic zone plus some in 1895. If there is something in outer space disturbing the Earth to her very core, it wouldn't take a leap of imagination to bridge the gap between the New Madrid, the Marianna and the Gulf of Mexico. And Northwest Indiana. The 2006 account adds an interesting twist to the volcanic fracture zone getting worse by the day in the G.O.M. There's gotta be some kind connection there.

Toni

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Antoniastar]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The New Madrid seismic zone is a very fragile area in regards to liquefaction. I found the following site to be very enlightening on the subject. I am familiar with the problem in general but I have never heard of these Sand Blows that are detailed and photographed in the article.

Interesting. There have been warnings about New Madrid since I was young but I never really researched the liquefaction factor until now. It just amplifies the effect of the earthquake. Remember San Francisco in 1989? The city was rebuilt on landfill and debris from 1906.

www.showme.net...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Excellent link I haven't seen before! Thanks!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Hi jibeho,

Thank you for sharing that link on liquification!! I read the whole page plus viewed some of the links mentioned on the page. Most fascinating.

Here we can see a simulation...

What is liquification?

"The New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ) lies directly above an ancient failed rift, the Reelfoot rift. About 550 million years ago, a rift began to form under the present day site of New Madrid [Vogel, 1996]."

The Reelfoot rift

How does a rift "fail'? :/ I'll have to look into that. I saw that OperationMindCrime posted a link to info about rifts. Awesome.

I wonder if the Reelfoot rift was/is contributing to an environment that encourages liquification.

Here's a great vid about the Reelfoot rift that happened a 1/2 million years ago (updated from 550 million years ago) that created a "weak spot" in the earth.

A weak spot

Apparently a modern great quake would be felt by something like 12 million people.

She's overdue and could give birth to catastrophe anytime

"The fault system responsible for New Madrid seismicity has generated temporally clustered very large earthquakes in A.D. 900 ± 100 years and A.D. 1450 ± 150 years as well as in 1811–1812. Given the uncertainties in dating liquefaction features, the time between the past three New Madrid events may be as short as 200 years and as long as 800 years, with an average of 500 years.

... It appears that fault rupture was complex and that the central branch of the seismic zone produced very large earthquakes during the A.D. 900 and A.D. 1450 events as well as in 1811–1812. On the basis of a minimum recurrence rate of 200 years, we are now entering the period during which the next 1811–1812-type event could occur."

Guccione and others, GSA Bulletin; March 2005; v. 117; no. 3-4; p. 319-333; DOI: 10.1130/B25435.1

Toni

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Antoniastar]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I live in Ft. Wayne, Indiana - I don't think the Madrid is this far north. However the streets and highways are terrible here - as you said, they repair them and its no time until they have to do it again We have had are our house shake and rumble several times lately. But as far as I know I have not seen any recorded quakes for our area.
Any other info - links much appreciated.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Here's something else I just found...

Sand boils, liquefaction, disappearing highways

"Liquefaction is difficult for newcomers to grasp. It can cause a section of heavy interstate highway, or your house to disappear into the sandy soil when the subsurface sand becomes water-saturated, loses its friction, and pressure is applied. Builders also are slow to learn the lesson."

And here's a real classic example of the above...

Memphis' Pyramid

"Memphis' city and county government in 1991 built a 32-story pyramid on its riverfront. It can hold 20,000 spectators, is the size of six football fields, is slightly taller than the Statue of Liberty, and held great promise as sports arena/convention center. In 1992 the city started considering earthquake construction standards. The pyramid sits smack dab on a sandbar. Guess what could happen to 20,000 spectators in the event of a major quake. It has been largely vacant since 2004. Contact Memphis realtors if you're interested."

Toni

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Hi crazydaisy,

Here are a couple links that I just found...

Indiana Earthquakes

"Indiana lies on the Wabash Valley Seismic Zone and dangerously close to the New Madrid Seismic Zone."

Earthquake Shakes Indiana

"An earthquake in another country was felt in Indiana."

Hope this helps.

Toni

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
INDOT closes MLK bridge due to safety concerns
Cracks in support beams prompted move

Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:05 am The Indiana Department of Transportation Wednesday morning announced the indefinite closure of the Martin Luther King Drive bridge over the Borman Expressway in Gary citing safety concerns.

INDOT officials said they believe cracks found on the concrete beams have compromised the load-bearing capacity of the bridge, a statement issued Wednesday said. The agency plans to replace the bridge beams and concrete "as soon as possible," the statement read.

Traffic is being rerouted to Broadway via 21st and 35th Avenues.

INDOT reports the bridge carried 4,100 vehicles daily.

The state hopes to select an engineering firm to begin construction this fall and reopen the bridge to traffic by June 2011. The project is expected to cost around $2.5 million.

The action comes after a Friday afternoon report from staff bridge engineers regarding the severity of the cracks on the concrete support beams and bridge deck. Traffic was retracted Saturday to passenger vehicles with special enforcement by Indiana State Police to keep trucks and buses off the bridge.

The bridge was built in 2004 to span the widened Borman Expressway.

"INDOT is looking at various aspects of the design and construction to understand why problems appeared in the bridge only six years after it was constructed," a news release issued Wednesday morning said.

Crews will be inspecting other bridges constructed during the same timeframe in the immediate area as a precautionary measure to ensure their integrity, INDOT said.

The MLK bridge closure comes on the heels of December's permanent closure of the Cline Avenue bridge due to structural safety concerns. INDOT plans to demolish the bridge by 2013 and this year will begin building a permanent detour along Dickey Road and Riley Road for the 35,000 vehicles that previously used the bridge daily.
www.nwitimes.com... also this Interstate 65 North In Morgan County Now Closed; Traffic A Nightmare www.whnt.com...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by ddarkangle2bad]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Go here to keep up with activy www.ceri.memphis.edu...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

USGS doen't have this quake on thier site. I found this article: www.cassiopaea.org...
but look at the date: September 10, 2006
That is not HOT news....

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Not sure what quack you are talking about, but here's a couple of sights to go to to learn about Wabash Valley Seismic Zone and the New Madrid Seismic Zone www.cusec.org... www.showme.net... earthquake.usgs.gov... Mapping quakes' danger
Officials to share findings publiclywww.courierpress.com... earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by ddarkangle2bad]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Lets keep in mind that Heat is very destructive to to roads and buildings,.. roads will buckle and even explode when the expansion is too great. Now with that said,.. I don't dismiss the possibility of the new Madrid fault beginning to move. AS someone asked earlier ,.. how about some pics or video? That would certainly help visualize what is really going on..

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
preferably pics made in a time-shift video, so we can see the slow changes... ty

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I live on this fault in Il near St.Louis now. Its active but in a weird way. The kind of earthquake where it jerks you and everything else ... not often. This mine collapse, blow holes, sink holes, road problems, bridge problems... all of that is actually pretty common in this area. We had one maybe 2 yrs ago that jerked us pretty good and a few aftershocks that freaked me out good and proper... but that is actually more rare....

I live in a 100+ year old historic home. Double brick. I have a road map in my original horsehair plaster and my inner brick due to major shifting over the last century. Not a house settling... our contractor pointed this out to us... a historic curiosity.. and we have plenty of them here! Of course we have a restoration contractor for the old house not just a regular guy ( you can tell this mainly when the bill comes in) , but you can still tell what has happened that doesnt necessarily show up on anything monitoring what we think of as an "earthquake". IMO the New Madrid due to the kind of land we have here just simply behaves differently than say the California faults and etc.

I live on top of a huge "hill" up from the Mississippi. When you look into the valley it is very obvious that this used to be a very wide and very deep river even without looking into the history of it ( geological and etc). On the Il side Im much much higher than the St.Louis side.. which would obviously be under water if the fault freaked and the great lakes released to make the river as wide again or we sucked in the gulf water. The Psychic.. Casey.. wasnt some visionary... definitely NOT about this . All you have to do is stand on a bluff here and look... the Mississippi used to be MILES wide.

All of a sudden the land down the bluff from me has been called a flood plain when it never was before.. forcing the property owners to now buy very expensive flood insurance. They claim the levies wont hold... but thats hogwash. Most folks here think they know a quake is coming and god forbid the banks lose money.. actually keeping people safe would cost too much, so get the high insurance on mortgaged properties.

SOmeone asked about the rift.. iof it goes the way it is set up now.. Il side or East side of the Mississippi higher... west or Mo side lower.

I will see if I can take a pic from the bluff this weekend ( this whole side of the state is set up this way except in spots where its only a little higher than the West side... you can see what I mean plain as day and right from the Il side bluff to the Gateway Arch. Probably make you want to move out of St.Louis if you live there as fast as possible too
If you look at the danger maps.. you can see the "arm" of the danger zone stick right over into Missouri.. right into St.Louis. This is why.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dixie70

Dixie,.. First off, nice post. I'd say do a little research of what quake damage looks like so you could have a better understanding of what you would be taking a pic of. This could be a long process to get real data,.. hope you have the time and patience.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join