It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First image of entire universe revealed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
PHOTO: i.telegraph.co.uk...

The satellite, costing 600m euros, was launched last year by the European Space Agency.
It was sent nearly a million miles into space to record the origins of the universe. The Planck observatory's job was to look at the age, contents and evolution of the cosmos by studying the heat left behind by the Big Bang.In September it began to reveal its first images showing strips of ancient light across the sky. Now it has revealed a full picture of the sky.
The image shows what is visible beyond the Earth to instruments that are sensitive to light at very long wavelengths.
Dominating the picture are large parts of our Milky Way Galaxy. The bright horizontal line running across the middle of the image is the galaxy's main disc and where the Sun and Earth are.
Also seen are huge bursts of cold dust that reach thousands of light-years above and below the galactic plane.
Scientists will spend years analysing the image to better understand how the Universe came to look the way it does.
"What you see is the structure of our galaxy in gas and dust, which tells us an awful lot about what is going on in the neighbourhood of the Sun; and it tells us a lot about the way galaxies form when we compare this to other galaxies," Professor Andrew Jaffe, a Planck team member from Imperial College London, told BBC News.

Flag.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by xspinx]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Cool pic but surelt that isnt the entire universe, how could it be if it is ever expanding?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04c901ffed45.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
What is that?- Center lower-right part of the image. That looks like a creature. I wish I could do photo shop. I will try. It has eyes, and looks like it has a hood.Or not.

Or am I the only one?

Here-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a54d06621c12.jpg[/atsimg]

EDITED TO ADD PICTURE_(I think its just my eyes playing tricks on me
)Like seeing elephants in the clouds.

PS... THIS IS DOPE!!

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Common Good]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I don't see it, download the picture, circle the creature in paint and then post it here

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
Cool pic but surelt that isnt the entire universe, how could it be if it is ever expanding?

I think a more accurate description would be the 'entire KNOWN universe'

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Sorry post what rubbish. and incorrect.

Deleted.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/78c8868b667f.jpg[/atsimg]

Here is the map with its features pointed out for orientation. Great picture, beautiful and awe-inspiring.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by xspinx

Impossible.

Your title is misleading. This craft was launched last year. Even if it was launched 5 years ago and traveled at twice the speed of light, which it cannot, it still would not be on the outer rim of the entire universe to be able to get this data.

Though the story may be interesting, this cannot represent the entire universe. That's not possible. I fell conned into looking at this thread because of the misleading title.

An image of the entire universe, I would like to see.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

If you knew it was impossible than what reason do you have to feel conned?
Cool picture by the way OP.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long

What is the problem? If you blow up a balloon you can take a picture while you blow it up....and so there are of course boundaries.

You had one very small point when the universe was born, and then it expands at light speed. So now you can make a calculation. How far did the light travel from that point: 300000 km/s * 13 Billion Years. If you would travel beyond that "light wall", there will be nothing. It's just black, no matter, no light, nothing. That's the border we see.

Another question is, if the universe has a geometry like a donut, there is no beginning and no end. If you flight a straight line, you may end at the start point. Hard to imagine.

So it is possible that a lot of the galaxies are mirror pictures in another developmental stage. Like a hall of mirrors within a time machine.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
this was discussed in a thread yesterday here

It is definitely just a shot of the galaxy

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Its a pretty picture and all, but a million miles into space is not really even going to get out of our solar system, much less be able to turn around and take a picture of the galaxy or universe with our solar system contained within it. Isnt the sun like 140 million miles from earth?
And, isnt our galaxy just one of billions and somewhere along the outer band of the universe? How could one take a picture of the center of the universe and include our galaxy, much less see anything remotely identifying our solar system or sun?

Either the image or the description is very wrong here.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedonk
this was discussed in a thread yesterday here

It is definitely just a shot of the galaxy

No, it is not the galaxy, sorry. Take another look:

It's just that large because you know we live in it.
As you can better see on this pix:
[/img]

The Milky way is just that large on the picture because we live in it.

The Cosmic Radiation looks like that:

While the structure looks like this so called Superstrings:

[edit on 6-7-2010 by cushycrux]

[edit on 6-7-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
Its a pretty picture and all, but a million miles into space is not really even going to get out of our solar system, much less be able to turn around and take a picture of the galaxy or universe with our solar system contained within it. Isnt the sun like 140 million miles from earth?
And, isnt our galaxy just one of billions and somewhere along the outer band of the universe? How could one take a picture of the center of the universe and include our galaxy, much less see anything remotely identifying our solar system or sun?

Either the image or the description is very wrong here.

LOL, sure as you know is light very slow, so you will allways look in to the past. Don't forget that the sun you can see exactly now, is an seven minute old picture. If the sun blow up, we will see it seven minutes later. Every star in the sky is a very old not actual picture of the current "real" constellation.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
My first post was a bit premature and I apologize for doing research after the fact. Looking at how the image was taken and the process used to gather all of the smaller images that make up the whole, I can see better what they are talking about.
Basically, this is a look at the universe from the perspective of our galaxy. That makes more sense to me. This is also noted as just the first of 4 "sky images" to be taken, so it will be interesting to see what comes over the years from this new telescope.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Personally I like the 3d representation on the show where Stephen Hawkings is the host or whatever. I know its not accurate but it looks pretty cool.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by xspinx

Impossible.

Your title is misleading. This craft was launched last year. Even if it was launched 5 years ago and traveled at twice the speed of light, which it cannot, it still would not be on the outer rim of the entire universe to be able to get this data.

I don't know if this is the entire universe or not. Certainly seems to have elements outside of our galaxy.

However, the thing that caught my eye in your post is stating that the craft cannot have traveled to the edge of the universe in order to image it. Did I read this correctly?

Are you under the impression that we need to travel to the edge of the universe in order to capture an image of it? Would that not also mean that we have to travel to another galaxy in order to snap an image of it?

Kharron

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I wish i could provide you a picture of a multiverse

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
the title is MISLEADING

u guys need to remember that this picture is the information we are receiving, the universe must be a lot bigger than that ...

u guys remember that light travels at @speed, it is not instantaneous, so what they got was the best image possible, but not really revealed the entire universe, the past universe

not the actual universe

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join