It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many wake up calls like this do we need?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I am writing this, with the hope that someday, we will all wake up to the fact that we need to change things now. And I don`t mean wait till they get that well capped. What does it take to get humanity to wake up, to the fact that we are in trouble, and I mean big time trouble? I just shot off an e-mail to my representative asking him how much of this planet he thinks we should let the oil industry kill off, before the government finally does something, besides provide lip service, foot dragging and a ton of excuses on why it will take months to cap this well.

We not only need to cap that well, we need to get on the ball, and get ourselves away from needing the amount of oil that we are using, if not stopping it all together. Are we as humans, really this complacent about this world we live on? It`s our home for cripe sake. I asked my rep. that question.

I have watched the news everyday, and came to this board everyday, just to see what the publics reaction was to what is going on down there.

I`ll start off by saying, I am just as bad as everyone else about not doing something about it. I have no excuse, and will not set here and make up fifty thousand of them to feed everyone, because it won`t fix the situation. But, I just took the first step, by sending a butt chewing e-mail to my representative, about the foot dragging I am seeing. I do see many are praying, and that is much better than doing nothing. I see most of us, and the government, pointing fingers, and bitching about it, as though that will take care of it. YEAAAA, that`ll fix it. Do we, 1. Throw tons of money at that well to get it to stop? 2. Whine, complain and bitch about it till it stops? Or 3. Give BP an ultimatum, you have x number of days to get it stopped, or, you pay for every cent it costs for the damage done over all. Anyone have a number 4? As I told my rep., if BP doesn`t have the means to stop something like this, then they shouldn`t be in the business of off shore drilling. It only stands to reason, if your not prepaired for something such as this, then you shouldn`t be doing it at all, no questions asked.

The damage is done people, and we now need to stop the complaining and put our collective heads together and come up with a way to stop this gushing well. I`m tired of watching our planet being put through this garbage because of complacency on everyones part. This grand ol lady is one we don`t want to mess with. One day, she will have had enough of us fleas and shake us off, just as a dog would do. As I told my rep., not only he, but also BP, better pray hard, because if we find out that there was any sort of cover up about this, there WILL be hell to pay on both their ends. This isn`t a trivial little matter here, we`re talking about human life, ocean life, and the life of this world we are living on all together.

We have millions along that coast, who, if this isn`t stopped, will have to move away from there. What of their homes, and their jobs? Where will they go? I believe we all better make some plans, and some room people. They are going to need our help, just as this world will.

Ok, I`m done. I`ve stated the case. How about it folks, do we stop the talking and start doing some hard thinking now? Ideas anyone?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It sees like a paradox, but it really isn't.

We need everyone to change.

But first, we must become the change we want to see.

So, basically its a matter of waiting for everyone to let go of their belief systems that are keeping them in the current system.

That goes for ATS as well. Let go of belief systems that are holding you back from connecting with other. The aliens came, they didn't; who cares?

Its alright to be interested in things, just don't go crazy about them and take them for fact. NOTHING is fact. Its all theory.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I agree with all you said and am glad someone organized their thoughts and energies into saying it the way you did.

As an American, I fear we have become so complacent with our everyday lives, we don't even know how to take action such as what is needed in this situation anymore.

Not that we are completely paralyzed, we aren't.

It's like smoking cigarettes. People won't quit because it's not this single , one solitary cigarette that will kill them. Or the next one or the next one. If they were somehow marked "This is it. This is the one that will kill you", people simply would not light it.

It's the slow accumulation. Until they are diagnosed with lung disease.

Same with oil and damage to the planet. When it's nearly uninhabitable, then maybe we'll stop.

I'm beginning to think it's how we are as a species. Mindless, thoughtless, self-serving, and too busy to pay attention to things that don't effect us right this minute.

It will take something worse than this. Much worse, I'm afraid.

There are steps to making changes. First "the thinking phase". Then "the talking phase".

So maybe we are all now in the "talking phase", at least. It's a step in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Petroleum Culture is too convenient. In my experience, most people arent willing to scale down their lifestyle enough to get to the point where they arent consuming massive quantities of petrol daily, not just in their vehicles, but in the products they buy.

It appears will will have to use it all up before we get a clue.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
It sees like a paradox, but it really isn't.

We need everyone to change.

But first, we must become the change we want to see.

So, basically its a matter of waiting for everyone to let go of their belief systems that are keeping them in the current system.

That goes for ATS as well. Let go of belief systems that are holding you back from connecting with other. The aliens came, they didn't; who cares?

Its alright to be interested in things, just don't go crazy about them and take them for fact. NOTHING is fact. Its all theory.

Yes, we need change. But, the problem is, time is not always on our side. One would think, that something on this scale, would be enough of a slap across the face to bring about that change.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The truth of the matter is our Govt (local, state and Fed) is not working for us! I have written emails, signed petitions and all I get is a form letter just saying thank you for your concern, etc. etc. bull s#$t. As everyday working people there is very little we can do and they know it, so they will just let us rant - they don't care. They know we are busy working, paying taxes, raising children or we are elderly with health conditions. They won't even let people volunteer for clean up. You will be getting your form letter soon.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I agree with all you said and am glad someone organized their thoughts and energies into saying it the way you did.

As an American, I fear we have become so complacent with our everyday lives, we don't even know how to take action such as what is needed in this situation anymore.

Not that we are completely paralyzed, we aren't.

This is the main problem, so many are wrapped up in their own little world, they forget that there is another even bigger world out here, and just like theirs, it`s also falling apart.

It's like smoking cigarettes. People won't quit because it's not this single , one solitary cigarette that will kill them. Or the next one or the next one. If they were somehow marked "This is it. This is the one that will kill you", people simply would not light it.

It's the slow accumulation. Until they are diagnosed with lung disease.

Same with oil and damage to the planet. When it's nearly uninhabitable, then maybe we'll stop.

I'm beginning to think it's how we are as a species. Mindless, thoughtless, self-serving, and too busy to pay attention to things that don't effect us right this minute.

This has been mans biggest downfall. We are taught from birth, that life is all about the me. We are taught to go after everything we can in a material way. We then pass that on to our own children, and it is a never ending cycle. See where it has gotten us? Even if it means hurting this world we live on, it still doesn`t stop people from getting their dream. It`s called closing our eyes to a suffering world.

It will take something worse than this. Much worse, I'm afraid.

There are steps to making changes. First "the thinking phase". Then "the talking phase".

So maybe we are all now in the "talking phase", at least. It's a step in the right direction.

All I can say is, I pray that it isn`t allowed to get that far.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
Petroleum Culture is too convenient. In my experience, most people arent willing to scale down their lifestyle enough to get to the point where they arent consuming massive quantities of petrol daily, not just in their vehicles, but in the products they buy.

It appears will will have to use it all up before we get a clue.

Sure, thanks to those people, and those who supply them, look at shape this has put the Gulf of Mexico into. Nothing like having a self serving attitude that may kill off not only some of the people, but some of this world we live on.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
The truth of the matter is our Govt (local, state and Fed) is not working for us! I have written emails, signed petitions and all I get is a form letter just saying thank you for your concern, etc. etc. bull s#$t. As everyday working people there is very little we can do and they know it, so they will just let us rant - they don't care. They know we are busy working, paying taxes, raising children or we are elderly with health conditions. They won't even let people volunteer for clean up. You will be getting your form letter soon.

The problem with that is, not only do they need to change their thinking, but we the people also need to change our thinking in this matter. As long as we continue to use oil in our everyday lives like we are, without any sign of wanting to get off of it, why should they stop it? Let`s show them we want to get off of it, and want to go to something that doesn`t take anything away from this world.

new topics

top topics

join