It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Amendment suspended in the Gulf of Mexico as spill cover-up goes Orwellian

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+81 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

First Amendment suspended in the Gulf of Mexico as spill cover-up goes Orwellian

current.com

(NaturalNews) – As CNN is now reporting, the U.S. government has issued a new rule that would make it a felony crime for any journalist, reporter, blogger or photographer to approach any oil cleanup operation, equipment or vessel in the Gulf of Mexico. Anyone caught is subject to arrest, a $40,000 fine and prosecution for a federal felony crime.

CNN reporter Anderson Cooper says, “A new law passed today, and back by the force of law and the threat of fines and felony charges, … will prevent rep-
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
naturalnews.tv

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
So much for transparency!!! That's right our wonderful government is in the business of stripping your rights away. If you do not believe me read the whole article; this is certainly proof enough for me. It amazes me that if the president is taking to much heat from the press and the people about the oil spill he can just pass a law and make it illegal to report about it. So tell me could this be the last thread on ATS about the gulf spill?

current.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
Could This thread be breaking the law right now?
I just thought I would add that.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by The_Tick]

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Good find

Mike Adams writes, "It seems downright spooky that on the weekend when the USA is about to celebrate Independence Day -- the July 4th holiday that commemorates freedom from tyranny -- we are bringing you a disturbing report on how the U.S. Coast Guard, under the direction of the Obama administration, has suspended the First Amendment in the Gulf of Mexico.

"Free Speech is now illegal on the beaches of the Gulf Coast. Any reporter, photographer or blogger caught within 65 feet of an oil spill boom, vessel or cleanup operation will be arrested, fined as much as $40,000 and prosecuted with a Class F felony crime by the U.S. government."

www.examiner.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Disturbing news. I knew it was a matter of time something like this would happen.

Tomorrow is Independence day also. How ironic.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Here's a map from sua.faa.gov... showing current restricted airspace in the gulf.

+11 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
So I guess this part of the United States now belongs to a private company....

This is insane.

Come on my dear American neighbor, don't let them do that to you.

This private company is causing damage to your coast line and beyond, and no one will be able to report on the MSM.

You will be kept in the dark ?

Please remember that part of your national anthem lyrics:

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust":
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Anarchy is the mother of freedom

[edit on 3-7-2010 by St-Patrick]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Nice find but this goes much further then air space restriction.
I can see this kind of press restriction on war but nothing less.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
$40,000 fine? Wow the government has found a way to make money off of this. It amazes me anything can have a price tag.

How is someone supposed to pay that? I guess they really want silence on this issue.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Tick
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Nice find but this goes much further then air space restriction.
I can see this kind of press restriction on war but nothing less.

Oh I agree completely. I know they're just hiding how bad it is. It's clearly a violation of freedom of the press. We aren't talking about flying over Area 51 or the White House after all. How can this be challenged legally? I'm not a legal eagle. Do you think they'll make it an issue of National Security or something to make it stick?

edit=spelling

[edit on 7/3/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
And they do this because they can. They can spit on the Constitution all the administration wants because who is going to stop them? You and me? And who else? If we tried, we would just be arrested and labeled as "terrorists." Most of America doesn't even care anyway.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

Is it true that most americans don't care about the BP oil spill ?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

No I mean they don't care if the Administration infringes on our rights. People do care about the spill. I am actually surprised at how many people talk about it.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by St-Patrick
reply to post by janon

Is it true that most americans don't care about the BP oil spill ?

No because it doesn't affect most Americans. They don't care now, but when it starts affecting their lives they'll care deeply.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
Good find

Mike Adams writes, "It seems downright spooky that on the weekend when the USA is about to celebrate Independence Day -- the July 4th holiday that commemorates freedom from tyranny -- we are bringing you a disturbing report on how the U.S. Coast Guard, under the direction of the Obama administration, has suspended the First Amendment in the Gulf of Mexico.

"Free Speech is now illegal on the beaches of the Gulf Coast. Any reporter, photographer or blogger caught within 65 feet of an oil spill boom, vessel or cleanup operation will be arrested, fined as much as $40,000 and prosecuted with a Class F felony crime by the U.S. government."

www.examiner.com...

Hang on. Not so fast.

There is a bit of a question in the phrasing and reporters are notorious for not getting things "quite right."

"Within 65 of an oil spill boom, vessel or cleanup operation... *Could* mean operations on water. Interfering with water craft and operations by said could be dangerous to those performing them [or those nearing them] and/or it could slow or impede those operations.

Yes, it *could* mean *any* "cleanup operation" which would also encompass the shore and marsh. I do not deny that. However, there is enough question in my mind to keep me from swallowing this whole at first sniff.

That said: I believe the Obama administration is perfectly capable of acting with such disregard for the First Amendment. They have no respect for free speech nor for the freedom of the press.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Maybe it's time to email Anderson Cooper and beg him to sue for freedom of the press, since he is the main person covering the story for much of the nation, and is considered reliable and more or less honorable.

He could make a pretty big move if he used his position to try the law in court.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Yes Geeky,
IF and only if it is held to only that
then that should be exceptable.With all regard, what are the chances of that?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
so does every one still belive that this is a free constitutuional country free of coruption and tyrany??? all of our rights are being burned and no one outside this site seems to know or care!!!
im sick of being treated like a subject instead of a citizen and so should you...im done with this coruption of our "democratic" government and the people that refuse to see and act upon it.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I guess that makes efforts like this all the more worthwhile.

Gulf Oil Spill Mapping

Amazing photos, and well outside the 65 foot rule.

Sad fact is, until more people stand up, take notice, and take actions towards a real change things like this will become the norm.

[edit on 7/3/2010 by ThaLoccster]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join