It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.3 million unemployed won't get benefits restored

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

WASHINGTON – More than 1.3 million laid-off workers won't get their unemployment benefits reinstated before Congress goes on a weeklong break for Independence Day.

And hundreds of thousands more will lose their benefits in the coming weeks.

The House voted 270-153 Thursday to extend jobless benefits for people who have been laid off for long stretches, but the gesture was made futile by the Senate's inability to pass the bill. For the third time in as many weeks, Republicans in the Senate successfully filibustered a similar measure Wednesday night before senators adjourned for vacation.

A little more than 1.3 million people have already lost benefits since the last extension ran out at the end of May, according to the Labor Department. By the end of the week, the number will jump to 1.7 million. By the end of July, it would top 3 million.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama urges Republican Senate leaders to "end their obstruction of this critical aid." Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said "it is hard to understand how anybody can come to this floor and say, for 1.7 million people and their families, this is not an emergency."

news.yahoo.com...

WHERE were Republicans on deficit war spending bills that passed recently????

WHERE were Republicans on passing billions of aid to Israel?????

WHERE are Republicans when it comes to helping out people who got screwed by the financial industry...THAT THEY NOW DEFEND!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!!

I hope they burn in hell.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
WHERE were Republicans on deficit war spending bills that passed recently????

WHERE were Republicans on passing billions of aid to Israel?????

WHERE are Republicans when it comes to helping out people who got screwed by the financial industry...THAT THEY NOW DEFEND!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!!

Just like the democrats, they are all exactly WHERE their major lobbyists and campaign contributors tell them to be.

NONE of them are working for the people, they are working for their corporate masters.

Whether they are controlled by liberal interests or conservative, it is always one extreme or the other.

These 1.3 million people have nothing better to do, so they should all show up and camp out on capital hill.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
How much was it to aid Israel again? facts? figures? websites?

And why would the republicans or ANYONE stand up for the people who got burned by the financial institutions? YOu mean the financial institutions that targeted people who couldnt afford their loans?

Why would anyone defend those people? They knew they couldnt afford the loans they were getting in to, and you want to SAVE them?

When does personal responsibility come into play?

At that, with the unemployment, I say they shouldnt extend it....too many people take advantage of that system, we dont need more welfare for the welfare state......

Granted plenty of people are on it for legitimate reasons, but you dont want to make it so they have no ambition to go get a job because they still get their paycheck....

Im an employer and it would boggle your mind how many people try to get fired, or falsely file for unemployment , just so they dont have to work, the last 3 months ALONE ive fought against 8 unemployment claims from BOGUS employees and won......

Theres no telling how many MORE are out there that get it, when they JUST DONT WANT TO WORK.

We cant enable people, the system is there to help until you can find work, not to provide you with everything you need so you dont have to.....

We already have welfare.

Edit to add, I dont like "republicans" anymore than you do, or democrats as well, they are all a thorn in the side of the US

However I cant abide this continuation of "entitlement" and LAZINESS that has become the norm here in America........Its time for people in America to grow a pair, and get some grit.......buckle down and do what it takes

Those that WANT to work, WILL.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

These 1.3 million people have nothing better to do, so they should all show up and camp out on capital hill.

And stick a guillotine out there as well, in full view of major government buildings.

Not to imply anything here, but maybe a holiday will mention something of this in the future.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by wutone]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Just like the democrats, they are all exactly WHERE their major lobbyists and campaign contributors tell them to be.

They aren't blocking unemployment benefits....Republicans are...and have been.

NONE of them are working for the people, they are working for their corporate masters.

Not all of them...but yes...I do agree....many of them are definitely bend at the will of transnational corporations. Republicans are completely in the tank for them however except for maybe Ron Paul.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
When does personal responsibility come into play?

While I agree with what you say, there is a factor that government has been chasing industry out of this country for years while throwing out the welcome mat for illegal immigration.

People should start taking responsibility in taking the country back from political worms that have more interest in their own (and crony friends) well being rather than the country.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Let us cut to the bottom line.
I have done so daily for so long, I no longer have any hopes for enjoyment.
We need jobs. We NEED jobs. We do not have enough jobs for American citizens. We need job creation. We need regular medium-wage JOBS.
Small business is owned by special interest groups who get special loans and special buses for their kids.
Big Business is Corporate and is Outsourcing and bringing in people to protect the bottom line.
These events are due to Government actions. They enabled Corporations to take over, and Paid Special Groups to open businesses.
In the meantime, regular, everyday hard-working Americans were painted into a corner, placed in a holding cell and told to wait. Wait for what?
JOBS.
We can't work when there is no work.
We can't live in the car and work, OK? It is ILLEGAL.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Buddy I couldnt agree with you more man. The government has enabled this sort of thing to take a root hold, and its all for political gain.

They play the "we help those who need it" card for votes.......they arent helping anyone and they know it, its just to curry favor....

The Illegals matter needs to be resolved, and they need to quit making it so damn hard for business to operate.

You cant tax the hell out of huge businesses and make it too expensive for them to operate on American soil, and expect them to stay. Want to see job losses?

How many jobs have been outsourced because Democrats and progressives have been so gungho about going after the "Evil rich, big corperate cats".

Granted , you have to have guidelines and regulations, but give me a break.

I never EVER got a paying job from a POOR MAN.....stop demonizing the wealthy

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

How many jobs have been outsourced because Democrats and progressives have been so gungho about going after the "Evil rich, big corperate cats".

Our jobs are gone because we destroyed our trade laws which both Democrats and Republicans are responsible for.

We cannot compete with slave labor without tariffs. We can have any damn tax system you please but it won't matter....it's not going to fix what is happening.

You cant tax the hell out of huge businesses and make it too expensive for them to operate on American soil, and expect them to stay. Want to see job losses?

TARIFFS.

TARIFFS.

TARIFFS.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

thats just it! Its self fulfilling prophecy!

You keep the power by keeping the votes, you keep the votes my "helping" those less fortunate......how do you find those people.........you CREATE them by running out big business to overseas operations, and allowing ILLEGALS to come in with no repercussions, its idiot proof, and it keeps you looking like the good guy.....

After all, you just want to help poor immigrants, and the working man who has no work.......all those , HELPLESS people that youve created.........

yeah I know , sounds contrived, but think about it.....look at the track record and the actions they take......

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I know it hurts, but eventually the spigot has to be shut off.

The bill would extend unemployment payments for up to a total of 99 weeks, for people whose state-paid benefits have run out. The benefits would be available through the end of November, at a cost of $33.9 billion. The money would have been borrowed, adding to the budget deficit.

99 weeks is just too long to be paying someone unemployment IMO. We can't just keep printing money and tacking it on to the deficit.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
Let us cut to the bottom line.
I have done so daily for so long, I no longer have any hopes for enjoyment.
We need jobs. We NEED jobs. We do not have enough jobs for American citizens. We need job creation. We need regular medium-wage JOBS.
Small business is owned by special interest groups who get special loans and special buses for their kids.
Big Business is Corporate and is Outsourcing and bringing in people to protect the bottom line.
These events are due to Government actions. They enabled Corporations to take over, and Paid Special Groups to open businesses.
In the meantime, regular, everyday hard-working Americans were painted into a corner, placed in a holding cell and told to wait. Wait for what?
JOBS.
We can't work when there is no work.
We can't live in the car and work, OK? It is ILLEGAL.

So who is gonna provide the jobs?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

They aren't blocking unemployment benefits....Republicans are...and have been.

I used the words "just like the democrats"

Bottom line, in any spending bill which will extend benefits there are always controversial amendments or attachments which can force the opposing political party to vote NO, or the opposing party didn't get what they wanted in the bill and vote no.

One side or the other wants the other side to be the bad guys, or force them to approve their agenda, pet projects, funding for this or that.

In any case, this congress has no money to spend, and unless they can show how they plan to fund these extensions they should not approve it. It is after all adding to the national debt that we ALL will have to pay one way or the other.

There should be cuts in spending elsewhere to offset the cost of these benefit extensions and/or any additional spending which will be deficit spending.

This madness has to be stopped, it is really unfair that hurting poor unemployed Americans are the victims here... When they could cut and divert spending to "take care of our own"... But they wont... They are all too busy fighting for their own interests to give a damn.

That is just how the game is played.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Federal involvement in unemployment is unconstitutional.

Good thing it didnt pass.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Unemployment is a scam anyway. You have to almost cheat the system to stay on it.

They give you too little to live on, and will remove you from the program if you have the audacity to try to earn a little money doing some work for a friend to pay the rest of the bills for that month.

This is what happened to my family. My dad is the definition of an unemployed worker and now we have to scrape at the bottom of the barrel because he can do for himself, while never finding more work than a few hours a week doing random work.

When you pay into a system for 30 years like he has, you expect something in return. The fact that all he gets now is taxed on what little he can make, the system is broken and has been for a long time.

Democrats and Republicans are a bunch of D-Bags. Politics is the art of lying. The second you guys elect those fools, they are working on reelection and could give a crap if they actually do anything good. Obama and Bush are the same, their programs were called something different and their rhetoric was aesthetically different but the results are the same. More war, more death, more injustice, more theft, more imprisonment, more brainwashing, more malfeasance, more lies, more bribes, and more government, less freedom. Thats what these guys stand on. They don't care about people, they care about money, power, and molding the voters into mindless, heartless sex zombies to feed their own egos and misguided sense of altruism. Have some pride and don't give a one of them your support.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I live in a small town, only a few thousand people. Murder in this area is almost unheard of. The most we see are speeding tickets, and some drugs and stuff.

Well today we had someone hijack a car and murder a woman and then rob the bank and use her car as a get away car.

This is probably nothing to some of you, but it has us really rattled.

I think we are going to see more and more violence.

I was at the work force center looking for a job and the place was filled. I had to park on a side street because the front parking and side parking lot were full.

There are so many people just trying to make it.

I think we are about to start seeing a lot more violence.

I hope some people get innovative and inventive. Sometimes people get this way when they have a lot of time on their hands, and they figure out how to do something out of necessity.

But these days I think a lot of people will find it is much easier just to take something by force.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Don't any of you realize we are headed for a double dip recession? Do you honestly think we are going to have a sudden influx of new jobs by ending unemployment?

Things are about to get much worse...but oh well.....let's cut taxes for the top 1 percent....who used to pay over 90 percent of their income during the cold war but now pay just a fraction of that while much of thepeople of this country...MILLIONS.

The top 500 wealthies families in this country have more wealth than 50 percent of THE REST OF THE COUNTRY. That's over 150 MILLION people....but damnit....they need MORE and MORE.

Oh and let's cut taxes for corporations too...even though it won't matter because they will still OUTSOURCE JOBS as slave labor will always be cheaper than the worst jobs here.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Things are about to get much worse...but oh well.....let's cut taxes for the top 1 percent....who used to pay over 90 percent of their income during the cold war but now pay just a fraction of that while much of thepeople of this country...MILLIONS.

The top 500 wealthies families in this country have more wealth than 50 percent of THE REST OF THE COUNTRY. That's over 150 MILLION people....but damnit....they need MORE and MORE.

Then maybe it is better that unemployment gets cut.

Millions of angry people with nothing to lose will find a lot of stuff in the hands of those few who own 50% of the country.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Why shouldnt those who pay the majority of the taxes be the first to realize any tax cuts?

Income redistribution is unconstitutional and an enemy of liberty.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

The numbers have been falsified, skewed, and altered for political objectives.

NO ONE here or in the public sector has any grasp at all of just how bad things actually are, especially in regard to unemployment numbers.

Worse yet, we have a government that has increased domestic spending in a severe recession, has had a massive decline in revenues and still they keep spending. Soon the national debt will reach and exceed the entire gross domestic production of this country (in dollars).

They are spending like there is no tomorrow, because there likely will not be. At least not as we have known it to be.

Folks, we are headed toward an unstoppable complete meltdown and economic collapse.

It really doesn't matter what they do, or don't do now.

If you are worried about these 1.3 million people, don't, unless you can help them, you need to be worried about yourselves and your immediate families.

Unless there is a miracle, things are going to get much worse before it gets better, and it will have major impact on ALL of us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join