It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.3 million unemployed won't get benefits restored

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

Depends on how many of them there are. Remember the American Revolution?

People with your mindest caused it. Just sayin...The rich will fall, either willingly or by force. No doubt about it its just a matter of time.

So once the so called "rich" fall, will you now get rich?

Also who do you consider rich? Does it fall under the same guidelines of Obama's admin i.e. those making above 200k?

Hollywood, Sport Leagues and athletes, union leaders, all better watch out....

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

Actually I am doing very well thank you.

The system is far unbalanced. Work is not rewarded. To much goes to those doing the least. It will be stoped.

I may have to take a cut myself but their are much bigger fish to fry first.

its begining

Schwarzenegger Drops State Workers to Minimum Wage
It has began

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Terminator hasn't really begun anything, I don't know if you had a chance to read up in the same article where it was mentioned that once a budget is approved the correct salaries will be paid retroactively....
Changes nothing.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

excuse me if im wrong, but when your on Unemployment insurance... didn't you work to pay for that insurance when you did have a job?

Its called insurance for a reason.

We paid into the same thing you do right now, just like social security. UI is in place for a reason. To help people through hard times. Granted some take it as a free ride, but in this recession/depression, people need it to stay afloat.

I know a person who worked for about 11 months then got fired for doing stupid things at work. They are still getting Unemployement 16 months later. That's just not right. They haven't even really bothered to find a job that whole time.

Sure UI is there for a reason.....but it's not there to become welfare, which it has for some. We might as well just start taxing every employee and business more to pay for their unemployement on a continual basis then.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

excuse me if im wrong, but when your on Unemployment insurance... didn't you work to pay for that insurance when you did have a job?

Its called insurance for a reason.

We paid into the same thing you do right now, just like social security. UI is in place for a reason. To help people through hard times. Granted some take it as a free ride, but in this recession/depression, people need it to stay afloat.

UI is paid by the employer, not the employee.

The employee never paid into the system, the employer paid into it. The end burden also comes onto the employers, as more and more individuals from the same employer claim UI...that employers UI rates go up.

[edit on 2-7-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
reply to post by David9176

Ever heard of due process?

Confiscatory tax rates hurt everyone, including the rich and the poor.

Income redistribution is unconstitutional, yet that fact seems to conveniently fly right over your head.

You never answered my original question: Why shouldnt the wealthy be the first to realize tax cuts considering they pay a majority of the income taxes in this nation?

Wealth creates jobs, not government. Taking away that wealth harms the economy in ways that are too difficult for you to understand.

You sound like you have a serious case of wallet envy, and want to penalize anyone and everyone who has more than you.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by brainwrek]

Your argument that wealth creates jobs is now null and void. It's a different time now. The wealthy who previously created jobs by building factories, etc...they figured why go thru that hassle when I can simply invest in the world economy and do NOTHING. This is what's happening, we don't have a manufacturing industry because they wealthy grew tired of the risk associated and government regulation. Now, instead of creating these factories, they wake up and play the stock game.

So even if we lessen the regulations, why would they desire to take on that headache again of creating and actually working by over-seeing a factory?

And why should we lessen regulations just to keep them from fleeing to other countries? If anything we should exile any corporation or individual who cries because they will only net 50 billion instead of their usual 100 billion.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I will not make this a right vs. left, dem vs. rep debate, I just want to say that your premise is faulty. Where is it written that people are guaranteed an income for not working in 99 weeks? And where is it written that the rest of us owe a living to people that refuse to accept a job they deem below them? If a person is overqualified, underqualified, etc., why do we have to give our money to them, and please keep in mind that all money from any governmental agency is ours, the gov't. doesn't just magically come up with tax dollars, and yes, unemployment benefit money is tax money.
The solution, and I'm sure alot of people will disagree is, downsize, lose the cable, internet connection, membershhips, etal, learn to live on less, and most important, learn to say "I'll take the job".

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CestLaVie
Let us cut to the bottom line.
I have done so daily for so long, I no longer have any hopes for enjoyment.
We need jobs. We NEED jobs. We do not have enough jobs for American citizens. We need job creation. We need regular medium-wage JOBS.
Small business is owned by special interest groups who get special loans and special buses for their kids.
Big Business is Corporate and is Outsourcing and bringing in people to protect the bottom line.
These events are due to Government actions. They enabled Corporations to take over, and Paid Special Groups to open businesses.
In the meantime, regular, everyday hard-working Americans were painted into a corner, placed in a holding cell and told to wait. Wait for what?
JOBS.
We can't work when there is no work.
We can't live in the car and work, OK? It is ILLEGAL.

I have an idea for job creation. It is called Independent contracters; instead of outsouring those jobs to India people could do them from home here in the USA.
First of all there would be little overhead costs because we would use our own resources. We would use our phone and our computer. The companies would not have to have offices and pay for electricity.Isn't this incentative enough.
As an indepdent contractor myself I can have as many contracts as I want; I have two. The pay is low but you don't have to worry about gas. A company does not have to pay minium wage to independent contracters,. I would say they should at least pay more than say $4/hour but this would solve the unemployment crisis.
Actually people can live on very little money it really depends on what prices around them. If prices become higher we need more money.
This is a huge problem. In the 1920s a dollar was eqvilent to $21 today. Also consider people only paid 20 -30% of their income to rent.
This depression will be 10 times worse than the previous one due to inflation and the fact that we do not have a president who is willing to help us.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LAUGHING-CAT

This is selfish to say why should our money go towards helping others? It is not their fault that the economy is failing. We need to have compassion for one another now the government sure does not.
The problem is there are 100s of applicants for every 1 job. A person has to fit an exact profile anymore even to get a job at taco bell.
I have applied at Radio Shack and Taco Bell both told me I was NOT qualfied because I was OVER qualified. I have a job but I had it before the recession started. I have been looking for more lucrative work but there is not a huge pool of jobs.
Some people have very specfic degrees and training. For example my training is in communications and psychology there are hardly any jobs in my area in those feilds.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
paying people who are unemployed is not the responsibilty of the federal government

THE ONLY responsibilty they have is the help those disabled and who cant work or elderly.....

IT IS the responsibility of the federal government to create the conditions that create jobs....

thats it and no more

when will you people wake up? seriously ? when?

paying people not to farm not to manfacture not to work is it any wonder why the economy is so screwed up.

that last manufacturing industry that was left is this country is now no more

a high percentage of military technology is now overseas.

THATS RIGHT people the men and women the fed sends to fight wars are being built and desgin by people who couldnt care less if it works or not hell they are not betting THEIR lives.........

google outsourcing the defense industry......its an amazing wake up call
the founding fathers knew about depending on others for stuff and the "friends" you have today make or not be your friends of tomorrow.

so whats that have to do with unemployment? a crapload

when jobs are needed here to support the nation and its military it should be home grown period.

that will easily create real wealth and not #jobs and dont even last
bluecollar jobs, educated people-AND not freaking unionized(thats another reason) AMERICA DOESNT MAKE # ANYMORE.

unions+outrageous taxes+democrats=death of the real wealth making capability of this country.

and more regulation wont make it better= REGULATION IS WHY the stock market isNT paying anyone # these days.

end rant.

wake up before its too late!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

WASHINGTON – More than 1.3 million laid-off workers won't get their unemployment benefits reinstated before Congress goes on a weeklong break for Independence Day.

And hundreds of thousands more will lose their benefits in the coming weeks.

The House voted 270-153 Thursday to extend jobless benefits for people who have been laid off for long stretches, but the gesture was made futile by the Senate's inability to pass the bill. For the third time in as many weeks, Republicans in the Senate successfully filibustered a similar measure Wednesday night before senators adjourned for vacation.

A little more than 1.3 million people have already lost benefits since the last extension ran out at the end of May, according to the Labor Department. By the end of the week, the number will jump to 1.7 million. By the end of July, it would top 3 million.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said President Barack Obama urges Republican Senate leaders to "end their obstruction of this critical aid." Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, said "it is hard to understand how anybody can come to this floor and say, for 1.7 million people and their families, this is not an emergency."

news.yahoo.com...

WHERE were Republicans on deficit war spending bills that passed recently????

WHERE were Republicans on passing billions of aid to Israel?????

WHERE are Republicans when it comes to helping out people who got screwed by the financial industry...THAT THEY NOW DEFEND!!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!!

I hope they burn in hell.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Please don't tell me I'll have to work!
First my parents stopped giving me money and told me to go get a job and
now the government is going to stop giving me money!
I don't to work! What am I going to do? Go live in the schruburg?

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Surfrat
Please don't tell me I'll have to work!
First my parents stopped giving me money and told me to go get a job and
now the government is going to stop giving me money!
I don't to work! What am I going to do? Go live in the schruburg?

No offense but are you retarded? Do you even understand how unemployment works? Please go and study how the system works before you enlightening us with your wit again.

I will give you a hint you have to work before you get it. I wish ATS would do a simple test or something to weed some of you out I am sorry but it is hard to argue with idiots.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Surfrat

Please don't tell me I'll have to work! First my parents stopped giving me money and told me to go get a job and now the government is going to stop giving me money! I don't to work! What am I going to do? Go live in the schruburg?

I don't know if you are referring to me or not with that post...but allow me clarify....

I am working...have been working for 3 years straight and have been without work for 2 months in over 15 years.

I don't want to hear your GD BS.

Unlike you, I actually GIVE A DAMN about people in MY COUNTRY.

You don't really care...so why don't you find an island to live on you unmerciful bastard.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Unemployment needs to be ended anyway. That is the only way people are going to go out and find jobs. The entitlement mentality needs to end. You are not entitled to a job. You are not entitled to a home, health care, or even food.

There are jobs out there if people want them bad enough.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lady_mezuza
Unemployment needs to be ended anyway. That is the only way people are going to go out and find jobs. The entitlement mentality needs to end. You are not entitled to a job. You are not entitled to a home, health care, or even food.

There are jobs out there if people want them bad enough.

You do realize the economy needs to create 125,000 jobs every months just to break even to the amount of people entering it right?

There are not enough jobs we are loosing them every month. And the unemployment is a huge band aid holding this country and even your job together so if I was you I would pray they keep the benefit coming until we round the corner on this one.

But is bet you will keep spewing your uninformed tripe. Because that is what people like you do.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
You do realize the economy needs to create 125,000 jobs every months just to break even to the amount of people entering it right?

There are not enough jobs we are loosing them every month. And the unemployment is a huge band aid holding this country and even your job together so if I was you I would pray they keep the benefit coming until we round the corner on this one.

It's elitist math. Hundreds of applicants per job opening equals a job for everybody.

Around here there was a new store opening up that had open interviews to fill 220 positions. An estimated 10,000 people showed up.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Some people really need a reality check. I about flipped on my sister for making the comment that if people want a job they'll find one. That is absolutely false!

There are many more people searching for work than there are jobs available. I should have a good idea because I work in welfare and employment. For every position advertised there is up to 1,000 applicants! After that number they inform us to stop taking applications.

I'm not even a conspiracy head, but somethings about to happen if the economy doesn't change. I have people in my office and I wonder how have they survived the past 18 months without a job. So many people have been evicted from their homes and are now living in shelters or with friends. And i'm talking people who had good stable work histories.

The thing is, it isn't the people who are usually portrayed as lazy without work so much. It's the people who resemble some of you on here who look down your noses and call others lazy, who need a job. The people coming into my office were managers and company owners! People who had been employed for 10, 20 years before losing their job. People you never would figure would need foodstamps. People who 2 years ago were making $80K....now reduced to food stamps.

If things don't get better, some of you (myself included) will be on the otherside of my counter with tears in your eyes explaining to me you don't want food stamps you'd much rather work. I have grown, 40-50 year old men in my office right this moment with tears in their eyes, ashamed probably because they're guilty of calling anyone in a jam lazy and now having to face the same thing.

The tables turn FOR EVERYONE, so hold YOUR TONGUE in screaming that UC should be stopped. Because it can very easily be YOU needing that little bit of money to survive. Sad thing is, it isn't enough to pay most peoples mortgage and car note.

A woman who harassed me when I wasn't working about my car payments....was a customer of mine. She didn't remember my name, but I remembered hers. And when I looked at her work history I saw she was previously employed for the credit agency my car was financed through. And she'd call me so proud and arrogant and self-righteous! Yet the tables turned, and there she was sitting across from me at my desk. Though I felt sorry for her because she had tears in HER eyes because she's forced to ask for food stamps when a year ago she was making $70K.

Remember what you do and ask upon someone else, you are doing it to yourself as well.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
What everyone here knows but seems to dance around is this. Unemployement insurance is a needed thing, but there needs to be limits. The real thing our elected officials have to do is help Business CREATE MORE JOBS. That's all they really have to do, everything else flows from having more people employed in decent jobs.

Unemployment checks don't fuel the economy, no one is making big ticket purchases with only unemployment. All this stimulus money is has basically been P*** down the toilet, what do we have to show for it?
We have used Billions of dollars and still business conditions are pretty much the same as before the stimulus money hit. Eventually we reach a point where it looks like things are improving but that is only when you compare it to the disaster that was the original crisis. It's like a stockbroker telling you that year to date you are up 15% when in reality you are still down 29% for the last three years.

I would have rather seen government use their power to allow small businesses to start up and grow. The Government could work on more substantial public works that would involve more of our industrial base. Rebuilding roads is fine and dandy but it doesn't have the trickle down effect in our industries/economy than maybe building more nuclear power plants or something similar. The Road projects are basically one trick ponies, once they are done the money is gone and spent. We need a work recovery package that gets both government and business wanting to hire more people for jobs.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

great post. Some people need a dose of reality....too many are just repeating and regurgitating garbage they hear on television.

People are struggling all over. There is a church I drive by that often has LONG lines just for those looking for a meal.

People need to open their eyes and stick up for their fellow man...not trash them for ideological reasons...which many here do.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join