It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K get rid of unnecessary laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

U.K get rid of unnecessary laws

yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk

We're working to create a more open and less intrusive society through our Programme for Government. We want to restore Britain’s traditions of freedom and fairness, and free our society of unnecessary laws and regulations – both for individuals and businesses.

This site gives you the chance to submit, comment on, or vote for ideas about how we can do this. Your ideas will inform government policy and some of your proposals could end up making it into bills we bring before Parliament to change the law.

So if there are any laws or regulations you'd like us to do away with, then subm
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
not to sure what to make of this. they were talking about it this morning on sky news so i thought id check it out. i think its a good idea and I've submitted my thoughts. i suggest my fellow Brit's do the same as we have lost quite a few or our civil liberties as of late. I'm not sure if they'll actually do anything about it but at least we can say we tried

yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I see the site gives visitors the chance to follow "tags" and see what other people have been suggesting. A fairly clear picture might build up, of what people actually want.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I'm a litte wary of these kind of things, I always am suspicious it's just a front, and the real nasty stuff will sneak in the backdoor.

The new coalition of Liberal-Democrat/Conservative do seem to have kept their pledge to revoke the ID scheme though, that's a nice step.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The only laws that will go are those stupid ones that date back hundreds of years (and are never enforced) and no longer apply.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This reminds me of the Orwellian state where no "laws" exist per say. However, "hate crimes" or "unpatriotic crimes" or "disturbing the peace" ... could be taken to the extreme and used to cover a variety of lesser "unnessary" laws that would exist. Be very wary ... this looks like yet another way to trick the people into imprisoning themselves further.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
i think the word 'business' is key here.

I would imagine most of the changes will be tokens ones for the public and important changes for business.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Not to be a cynical fool lost to a world of conspiracies but to me this is nothing but a distraction, deflection and just attempts to keep us hooked to their myth.

The elite know that the veneer is wearing thin and they know that more and more people are starting to get a very real sense for the true nature of the game and that is why they are throwing this juicy carrot out for us to digest and smile at. To raise our hopes buys these politicians more time to further ruin us for reasons known only to them.

Of course buying time is just a postponement when we are all slipping past the event horizon but they are like a person deep in debt, use denial as a comfort and hide the bills behind the sofa – buy time and hope for the best.

Look, I support the idea in principle and would love it to be a truth but
government like all the others have time after time proven their dishonour so why suddenly change tact now? Do you really think a change of political party is going to undo many years of filth?

These reptiles with the reins will never actually let us have a say because a say with real power to act on our will is dangerous to them. Of course these “tongue flickers” will always be happy to pretend that we have a say as it stops us shining a light on their “other” activities for instance the Dr David Kelly assisted suicide, 45 minutes notice for Iraqi weapons launch, duck houses, moats, MP’s in silky stockings and so on.

Look into that mans eyes and I mean really look – trustworthy? I think not!

Instead of giving this site any more of my time I will instead pick my nose and contemplate my naval because those two simple acts will be much more productive and useful to my life than buying into any more of these peoples lies and attempts to raise my hopes on a false promise.

Aye I know, but these people do raise my blood pressure because lives are continually played with as if all is a board game – off to the gym to break something! 

*edit for spelling*

[edit on 1-7-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It's actually a sensible idea on paper, clearing up unnecessary and out of date laws, would make for a more streamlined system.

For instance with financial projects that people wan't to get off the planning stage and into the real world, time is as they say money. Quite often these clever people would see a time advantage in taking their ideas to a younger country, or one with a lower population - why? Is it because their laws seem more liberal and friendly? Well maybe, but it's also because there are so many fewer laws, fewer legislation and red tape because there simply has not been the need to overcomplicate their systems yet.

So a good comparison would be the UK and Iceland. The UK has had a much denser population for century of lawmaking and wrangling, also a much more complex history of financial dealings with foreign interests which again further adds to the bird nest. Now if you could achieve the same results with a quarter of the headache in a refreshingly simple system like Iceland's in much less time why would you not do that?

Of course as time goes on every country's laws evolve and in general get more complicated - a nice trim can't hurt at all..... On paper....

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Iv`e a funny feeling that revoking the ID scheme is to get us onside, then something will pop up that requires compulsory and instant biometric IDing of all UK residents. Just a hunch I have.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

I would like your opinion on what civil liberties we have lost.

Many thanks

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The idea of this is not to get rid of the outdated laws that are generally ignored these days, but to get rid of some of the 4000+ rediculous laws that Labour have brought in over the past 12 or so years, the ones that impinge our general civil liberties, such as passports for horses, whether they are being taken abroad or not, or entering the hull of the Titanic without permission. These are actual laws for god's sake!!

It's hoped they can also act to prevent the Gov't spying on innocent people and using the anti-terror laws as an excuse.

It's a good idea giving the people a say in which ones they feel strongest about too. When was the last time any of us Brits felt they had a say about anything the Gov't does?

I've had my say and I'd suggest any other Brits on here should too. It's not very often they ask for your opinion now is it?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
People like being under authoritarian rule. Letting the majority dictate legal status to the minority is a horrible idea.

If we permitted it to happen the paranoid soccer moms in California would ban black people cause they're always on the news.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

How about the right not to get fined for leaving your dustbin out on the wrong day? The right not to be spied on, using the anti-terror laws to infringe upon our right to privacy? The right to look after my friend's kids for them as a favour without having to have a pointless CRB check? They are just off the top of my head.

I just read a brilliant one. There is actually a dangerous cartoons act!!

Seriously, take a look at the site, there were some really crazy laws brought in over the last decade. There are also some very serious laws that we would all like to see repealed.

Come on people, we're always moaning here on ATS that the government have too much control over our everyday lives. Well, now you have the opportunity to do something about it!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don't think you quite get it. This is not to implement new laws, it is mainly to repeal pointless laws that have been thrust upon us Brits over the past decade (as I previously said, over 4000 of them!), which really hinder many people's lives with red tape and bureaucracy.

Here's an example: A ban on bananas that are too bendy. Now this one turned out to be a false one spewn out of the less than mediocre Sun Newspaper, but the amazing thing is that people believed it, because we'd already had crazier laws brought into effect!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

I get it. I mean to say that nothing of consequence would ever be repealed.

Sure, some of the more comical and absurd laws might go away but I'm afraid you'll find there is more support than you could have imagined for the more invasive, liberty killing laws.

I read one that proposed a repeal of the 97 firearms act. The comments were mindless trolling responses and bumper sticker logic and the main concern the OP had was making it so the country could compete on the international stage in shooting sports rather than sit aside as a laughing stock.

People mostly love their authoritarian overloads and hate liberty.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

our ability to walk anywhere without being filmed (not that their gonna stop that one) the use of terrorism legislation to stop and search people without suspicion (this one is really starting to pee me off) and banning orders. their just the ones that affect me personally. I'm sure a few people on here could name more

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Heres one I would ADD,not take away-That all politicians have 1 year to put into practice all the bull they spout on the campaign trail...if they don't-instant sacking!

Seriously though,there are many laws which should go-problem is finding somewhere they are all written down in one place so you can make in informed response.

Any ideas where they are all written down and avalible to the public?

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Oh, I totally agree with you there. nobody ever said Britain was filled with intelligent people and I'm pretty sure that that would be taken into consideration, although i would think that the majority of people would not want the repeal of the arms ban (although I would suggest changing it for certain areas, such as sports).

I'm not sure how they're going to go about it, I think they're going to pick the most popular votes, pick out the sensible ones and choose a number from them, well that's what I picked up on the radio on my way into work.

I still think it's a good idea though and after having spent all my voting life under Liebour, feel it's a breath of fresh air to even be consulted at all, rather than just treated like the little children of the country who can't possibly know what's best for them.

[edit for spellnig]

[edit on 1-7-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I think there are simply too many to list in one place to be honest mate.

If you go to the site posted in the OP, and click on the tags, there are loads that people have already suggested. Just click on the areas that affect you and I'll guess that it's already been mentioned

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join