It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K get rid of unnecessary laws

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Heres one I would ADD,not take away-That all politicians have 1 year to put into practice all the bull they spout on the campaign trail...if they don't-instant sacking!

Seriously though,there are many laws which should go-problem is finding somewhere they are all written down in one place so you can make in informed response.

Any ideas where they are all written down and avalible to the public?

that's a great idea! they like pushing targets on everyone else. lets give them a year and if they cant show as what they've been doing towards their election promises then give them the boot. like a trial period. their not gonna have that are they.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just curious, but dot some of the laws in question supersede UN laws or EU laws? Could it be that losing what they are calling 'unnecessary' or 'superfluous' laws are the one's that maintain your sovereignty?

I just can't help but wonder how this is supposed to work. I hope you all are very meticulous in your considerations. Where there once was a law, often the vacuum just sucks in another - not necessarily better - law.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I just gave them my two cent's on cannabis legislation and the current terrorism laws noticed i wasn't alone in what i was saying. Could this just be away of cutting cost as theirs meant to be a drop in police presence due to funds. have a smaller number of coppers with a smaller set of laws to enforce. one thing's for sure i don't trust them as far as i can throw them... that's right Mr Cameron don't come on a roof with me

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
site doesn't bloody work at the moment, I think it's getting a bit of a beasting,

government website turns out to be a steaming pile of useless,, why am I not surprised?!

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If this is legitimate, comes to fruition, and has reasonable results, I will be immensely jealous and happy for the UK.

It's been my political fantasy for the longest time to open the books of American Law and go down the list one at a time tossing out the moronic laws.

Big government micromanaging the citizens = failure. Let us breathe.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Really though, do you think this is something that the gov. will act upon?

Do you think this is 'the people' getting their say?

Do you think the gov. ever listen to the people?

I wonder if I've come to the wrong website sometimes I really do.

Ed: (You'll have to excuse my tone today, I'm in an incredibley negative mood)

[edit on 1-7-2010 by and14263]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by and14263

well you never know... what if they were actually going to listen but people just didnt bother? opportunity wasted. If it works or it doesnt at least the public has an easy way and opportunity to have its oppinions heard and listened too.

worst case scenario they dont listen to the public

best case, we actually get a chance to make a change, no matter how small.

((disclaimer: obviously actual worst case is they get rid of important laws and claim thats what we wanted ... but they could have done that anyway without asking our opinion))

I'm going to choose to remain hopeful, i mean imagine if things do actually change because of this.

~TR~

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomb_Raven

Of all the things I have experience of in this world the gov. is definitely not a thing I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to.... literally bottom of my list, a total no go area... experience and knowledge tells me this.

And we will see because unfortunately not everyone has this view (i'm not saying it's the perfect view) but the members of the general punlic will post on this website, in their hoards, possibly in something that resembles (and this is the first time I've been incline to use the analogy) flocks.

I'm going to choose to remain hopeful, i mean imagine if things do actually change because of this.

It's me being truthful here, call me out for being negative but things will not change, the gov. don't make the rules for a start. Your hope is lost, sadly wasted.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by and14263]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
yeah i get that but whats the absolute worst that can happen?

Surely nothing as bad as tptb would have done anyway?

Also i think you underestimate the general public. The general public arnt stupid theyre just naive and ignorant (generally).

I mean who actually cried out and wanted cctv... who actually stood up and said they wanted more control and the rest. Were just told someone did, and this time well have a website with actual peoples views to fall back on.

Hope springs eternal
and nothing will change for the better if everybody is resigned to the worst.

Hope is never lost
its just usually misplaced.

I have no reason to trust the govn't ... but i will trust the people... i mean how stupid can the masses actually be? (on second thoughts dont answer that)

~TR~

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomb_Raven
I mean who actually cried out and wanted cctv... who actually stood up and said they wanted more control and the rest.

On CCTV, there is a compelling arguement for CCTV in crime prevention et al and that has public support. I think what makes people angry is that there is just too much of it and authorities are being intrusive. I would want want CCTV cut back unless there is a valid crime prevention reason.

Scrap the stupid law on fox hunting.

Scrap the erosion of the green belt and the silly planning decisions made against the wishes of the locals.

Cut welfare dependance and the "take, take, take" culture.

Sort out the human rights acts which tramples over the rights of the many for the benefit of the few - or the one. Of course, I talk about those nasty people who mean to do the locals harm but cannot be deported - simplifying the subject, but I'm sure you know what I mean. I am a advocate of high standards of human rights, but I do think some people take the p*ss.

Zero tolerence of unappealing practices which seem to be often "allowed" for culturally sensitive reasons. Forced marriages, female genital mutilation, parallel legal systems e.g. Sharia, oppression of women, multi language schooling etc., etc...

I could go on and bore you all to death.

Regards

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

in which case you can surely see the benefit of being able to have your voice heard? Or at worst a platform on which to speak your opinion and have it ignored?

Ps: ok cctv probably a bad example... original idea was good... but say london is just otp and ludicrous

~TR~

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by danielhanson420

What it means is that Brittan has gone through a few years of bad times where basically every single member of Parliament got caught up in a crime scandal, so now the government is trying its best to stop dicking around and act serious because if they don't, England is going to kick them and their entire party out.

Oh how I love that England is always 20 years ahead of America politically.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Statute law needs an overhaul, it is draconian and I do hope they get rid of that disgustng database of all children in the UK. I also hope they stop taking the fingerprints of our children under the guise of obtaining school dinners, and using the library, until they do that they do nothing. We are the guardians of our children and the future.

It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by BANANAMONTANA

It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow

lol a good one to keep in mind if you see gordon brown in york
(jk)

~TR~

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Most Brits seem to vote with their feet rather than the ballot paper (or in this case complaints website). I mean have you SEEN Australia?

Question is, where will you all go when no one wants you any more?

Better see if you can start fixing a few things, Englandistan only appears to be an attractive residency option for the residents of the Asian sub-continent these days.

My recommendation - escape while it's still an option.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomb_Raven

lol a good one to keep in mind if you see gordon brown in york
(jk)

~TR~

I like gordon brown..

.need to find similar law for Mr Blair though..any ideas? hmm maybe I can pick up some tips for planting evidence from the Davis Kelly files if they can be released after the stitch up from Lord Hutton.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I would love to see that useless handgun ban from the late 90's retracted. I am someone with a firearm hobbyist for a father (and verging that way myself), and he is very responsible. It would be stupid to carry on like this. It's a law enforced after media sensationalist hype and now only criminals are bearing these sorts of weapons. Without reprisal I might add.
I am in favour of more legislation on license holders to even things out, but banning firearms is the densest, most useless thing the UK ever did.

Something that would give me immense satisfaction is the blanket banning on these proposed EU laws that threaten to ban minced beef or our national right to bear a flag. For goodness sake, those harm no one. But those aren't actually laws in motion.

How about cannabis legalisation? I don't even smoke that stuff, but it's no more of an evil than tobacco or alcohol. Maybe they're too scared because it's so easy to grow yourself that they won't get any revenue out of it.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
If this is legitimate, comes to fruition, and has reasonable results, I will be immensely jealous and happy for the UK.

It's been my political fantasy for the longest time to open the books of American Law and go down the list one at a time tossing out the moronic laws.

Big government micromanaging the citizens = failure. Let us breathe.

I still think the UK is light years ahead when it comes to the nanny state policies in place than that of the US although the states seems to be catching up over time especially with verichip/positive id.

The changes will if done correctly create the illusion that British people have more freedom but the reality is that we have become so monitored, repressed and dictated to that we will simply have removed one strand of the noose that is firmly wrapped around our knecks and it will be quickly replaced by the loss of some other liberty very shortly, probably but not definately, from the EU.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
lots of fun at the daily mail

Clegg's Freedom Bill descends into farce as voters request legal right to marry horses and take drugs

One contributor called for a ban on marrying horses to be lifted. The writer said: ‘I have been going out with a horse for seven - very happy - years now. Why oh why can we not marry - or at least civilly partner like the gays can?’

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

lots of fun at the daily mail

Clegg's Freedom Bill descends into farce as voters request legal right to marry horses and take drugs

One contributor called for a ban on marrying horses to be lifted. The writer said: ‘I have been going out with a horse for seven - very happy - years now. Why oh why can we not marry - or at least civilly partner like the gays can?’

Just goes to show that the British people are not as stupid as a lot of people think either that or the media. Thats the main positive thing that can be taken from this and that is all.

Its a joke, should be treated like it is by both.

The very first bill this farce, for what better of a word, produced was to introduce a 5 year fixed term parliament which is hardly liberal in a supposedly democratic country. Expect more of the same.

This is nothing more than a selective hearing of what the country wants.

But hey, keep taking your economy pills because if we do not pay more for the spending cuts things will get difficult.

Lotta... ok ill stop there.

[edit on 1-7-2010 by XXXN3O]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join