It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas A&M: Methane Levels In Gulf Of Mexico Up To 1,000,000 x Normal! Thats ONE MILLION!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
To those that say no big deal, please read the following very carefully. The unimaginable may very well be on the brink. Keep in mind this was posted almost a week ago, however, I feel it really drives the point home.

Texas A&M: Methane Levels in Gulf 1 Million Times Over Normal” Last week, scientists from a University of Georgia weighed in with their findings on methane gas in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. Yesterday, more opinions from other experts were published.

Texas A&M University has also had a team on the Gulf and also finds exceptionally high methane levels in the water.

link:
uncoverage.net...

Texas A&M University oceanography professor John Kessler, just back from a 10-day research expedition near the BP Plc oil spill in the gulf, says methane gas levels in some areas are “astonishingly high.” Kessler’s crew took measurements of both surface and deep water within a 5-mile (8 kilometer) radius of BP’s broken wellhead. “There is an incredible amount of methane in there,” Kessler told reporters in a telephone briefing.

In some areas, the crew of 12 scientists found concentrations that were 100,000 times higher than normal. “We saw them approach a million times above background concentrations” in some areas, Kessler said.

The scientists were looking for signs that the methane gas had depleted levels of oxygen dissolved in the water needed to sustain marine life.

Kessler said oxygen depletion's have not reached a critical level yet, but the oil is still spilling into the Gulf, now at a rate of as much as 60,000 barrels a day, according to U.S. government estimates.

“What is it going to look like two months down the road, six months down the road, two years down the road?” he asked.

Methane, a natural gas, dissolves in seawater and some scientists think measuring methane could give a more accurate picture of the extent of the oil spill.

Kessler said his team has taken those measurements, and is hoping to have an estimate soon.

“Give us about a week and we should have some preliminary numbers on that,” he said.

www.uncoverage.net...

June 23, 2010 5:59 p.m. “Scientists: 1,000 -year-old Gas Bubble Near Oil Leak Could Burst and Cause Tsunami?”

Last week, scientists in the Gulf of Mexico reported that escaping methane gas is at least as dangerous as the leaking oil. They reported the methane has already created “dead zones” of reduced oxygen in one-third of the gulf.

Carl Franzen at the Surge Desk reports some scientists now believe there is a large, ancient pocket of gas near the oil which is in danger of rupture. The potential damage is astounding.

It’s not just the crude that is causing problems in the gulf oil spill: Another petroleum byproduct, natural gas, is reported to be leaking in much greater concentrations than previously thought. And not only could the gas be suffocating sea life, but a new analysis warns that a giant, 1,000-year-old methane bubble could soon explode, taking out miles and miles of the ocean floor and causing a violent oil spill tsunami that would threaten the entire gulf coastline.

Since then, the oil that has leaked from the Macondo Prospect into the Gulf of Mexico (now pegged at a rate as high as 100,000 barrels per day) has contained about 40 percent methane, according to The Associated Press.

The agency notes that this is far greater the 5 percent typically found in oil deposits, and has the potential to create dreaded oxygen-depleted “dead zones” throughout the ocean, wherein no sea life can survive for years.

The frightening “low-probability” scenario described today by entrepreneur and philanthropist DK Matai includes the possibility of a “massive bubble trapped for thousands of years under the Gulf of Mexico sea floor” exploding and setting off a “tsunami [traveling] at a high speed of hundreds of miles per hour.”

If you are feeling brave read the rest of the articles.

Thanks for your time.

Pax

www.politicsdaily.com...

www.aolnews.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.aolnews.com...

[edit on 30-6-2010 by paxnatus]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
S& F! I've been waiting for someone not directly under BP or the governments thumb to publish some of their findings. Thank you sooo much! I think the last estimate I heard on the methane was 10o,000 times higher than normal.

Is it now 100,000 or 1 million x? One of the articles says 1 million, you have it as 100,000.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by ganja]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Very Interesting - While the bubble is terrifying the dead zones in the sea seem likely. It didn't say how long they would last - does anyone know?

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
you dont want to inhale inhale hold it there inhale inhale exhale oh yeah

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

In Islam it is said that when you are born Allah knows how many breaths you will take. So, I say to you breathe slower.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganja
S& F! I've been waiting for someone not directly under BP or the governments thumb to publish some of their findings. Thank you sooo much! I think the last estimate I heard on the methane was 10o,000 times higher than normal.

Is it now 100,000 or 1 million x? One of the articles says 1 million, you have it as 100,000.

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I noticed the discrepancy when I made the post, but thought I was getting it right. Upon reading and re-reading it is in fact 1,000,000 x Normal.

Which is pretty unbelievable! Now throw in a hurricane such as we are on the heels of, and lightening, talk about fireworks!!

Nice catch and thanks again.

Pax

[edit on 30-6-2010 by paxnatus]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

Looks like im gonna have to stop running from the pigs evreytime i do i loose my breath

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

I am not sure what the future holds. I have not cut down on my alcohol or tobacco consumption. A couple of weeks ago as I worked on my Chevy S10 a very small cat appeared from the bushes of my carport.

I have two cats, one near 21 and another 15. It was 103 and the little cat (Ginger) was not going to make it to the next day. Despite problems with tomorrow she was welcomed into my home.

If there is short time left, there is still fun. I appreciate every day.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It's over NINE THOUUUUSAAAAAAAND!

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
It's over NINE THOUUUUSAAAAAAAND!

What exactly are you saying? If you read the articles, I very clearly stated that the estimates were from June 24, 6 days ago. And I believe the dates are listed as well.

so if it is over 1,000,000 then state the number with a link.

Thanks,
Pax

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I'm just saying that the reading from Texan scouters concerning the methane level is over nine thousand.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Napa!

That definitely is over NINNEEEEE THOOOUUUSSSSSAAAANNNNDDDD!!!!

This can spell disaster especially concerning the new arrival of Hurricane Alex..

Methane is extremely combustible :O

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

They are having fun, referencing a cartoon called Dragon Ball Z. And yes, it is indeed well over nine thousand (was it Freiza that was 1 mil?).

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Thank you for this thread. I thought that methane was also very flammable. could it be? I would sure not want to see what could happen if a storm with lightning sparks something big.
It is so terrible about so much sea life literally suffocating. People can manage ways to handle things, but the fish have no other means of survival but in the waters, and I feel even more for the beautiful mammals of the seas.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
I'm just saying that the reading from Texan scouters concerning the methane level is over nine thousand.

Really? Do you have a link for this source? So the scientists at Texas A&M, and UGA are wrong? Yet, Reuters reported it to be accurate and so did the Associated Press.

If I have somehow misinterpreted what I have read then please I'm open to seeing your facts on the subject.

Thanks kindly,
Pax

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
As I stated in another thread: If you want to know the REAL repercussions of this whole Gulf Oil Spill, watch this guy...

(Dr. Michio Kaku to be on MSNBC, today)

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread already started... FYI

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

One gigantic sacrificial fire. This will scorch 1/3 of the earth. As it is written.
Seems to be gaining in possibility anyway.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
If the possibility of methane igniting is there, wouldn't it have happened already? They're burning oil on the surface of the water everyday.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

No offense to OP, because there is now more and more MSM coverage of the Methane problem, and it needs all the exposure it can get, but here are the first few threads:

First Thread posted a long time ago:
Excellent info, thanks to apacheman.

Second thread, pretty informative:

Then there is this blog from UGA Professor Joye, the first on the scene testing these levels:
gulfblog.uga.edu...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join