It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing healthy foods now called a mental disorder

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Once again another misconception about psychological diagnoses. You'd think that after Natural News portrayed Intermittent Explosive Disorder as simply being angry you'd stop taking their word when it comes to mental health. Even if this were an actual recognized disorder it clearly doesn't focus on the eating healthy part, but the part where a person gets anxious when they don't eat "correctly," which is more likely in the eye of the beholder than actual healthy eating. I see this more as a way that OCD could manifest as opposed to an out and out eating disorder. I don't care how much you hate the MSM, but when you use alternative news sources that are blatantly bias and misrepresent facts it makes you no better than the average Joe who gets all of his information from Fox.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernutty

Hey, if that is what you like

I do know they have range free meats. Beef, chicken, and so forth there, in othe words, animals that don't have growth hormones fed to them. All the vegetables are organic.

Here is a description of a book I read while I was a teenager, that had me change my diet pretty quickly, and I've stuck to it for years.

book

Here is another eye opening book you might want to check out that deals with the subject of processed sugar.

book

There is all sorts of information available to you, if you are serious about searching out a healthier diet.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Simmer down. Somethign becomes a disorder when it interrupts your life.
eating less is dieting. Eating 200 calories a day is anorexia and is a disorder.

You can have a fitness obsession. I know, I had it once. It stops being about health and starts being about numbers. I would work out 3-4 hours a day, 6 days a week and would feel frantic on any days I couldn't work out. is it saying that they are classifying exercise as a disease? No, just those who take it to the extreme to where it disrupts their lives.

If a person avoids eeating for 15 hours because they can't find anything to fit their healthy criteria, then it is a disorder and a problem.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The article links to its source article in the Guardian. The OP source is an extreme rewording of the facts of the matter. I can see how an extreme focus on healthy eating could be considered a disorder.

After all, there's nothing wrong with washing your hands, but if you do it 50 times a day to avoid the germs and eat with latex gloves, we're getting into disorder area here.

There's nothing wrong with collecting things, but if you go beyond what is considered reasonable, and it interferes with your life, you are considered a "hoarder".

ANYTHING can be taken to an extreme. And healthy eating is no different.

It's good to eat healthy, but if you're obsessed with it to the point that it's interfering with your life, then I can see how it would be considered a disorder.

The obsession about which foods are "good" and which are "bad" means orthorexics can end up malnourished. Their dietary restrictions commonly cause sufferers to feel proud of their "virtuous" behaviour even if it means that eating becomes so stressful their personal relationships can come under pressure and they become socially isolated.

"The issues underlying orthorexia are often the same as anorexia and the two conditions can overlap but orthorexia is very definitely a distinct disorder," said Philpot.

Source

We're not talking about making sure you get enough fruits, vegetables and grains here. We're talking about an obsession.

I should have read Nixie_nox's post first.

[edit on 6/29/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Sounds like this applies to people who are unnaturally obsessed by it to the exclusion of all else. Just a subset of a mental illness like OCD .

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think a lot of people here is overreacting, they are not talking against healthy food, they are talking about OBSESSION with healthy food, OBSESSION is always bad, doesnt matter if is about huggin kittens or singing songs!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

This is no joke: If you focus on eating healthy foods, you're "mentally diseased" and probably need some sort of chemical treatment involving powerful psychotropic drugs.

So if I eat really healthy, can I pick my own pyschotropic drugs?

They want people dumbed down and sick. It makes more money for the big pharm companies. I just heard a story on the news this morning about the ingredients in baby foods. Way too much sugar and salt, conditioning our kids from the moment we start to feed them solid food, with us thinking we are giving our kids healthy stuff. :shk:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well I guess we have to go underground for now on.
, see my nearest health food store or let say a big supermarket, is about 3 1/2 hour away from my home, I still travel that long to get my fresh products, eggs, milk and free range meats.

I guess in todays economy and with the prices of gas somebody like me that do all this just to get my organic fare will be considered mental unstable.

Still I get very anxious when I don't have my organic food available.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BigDaveJr

That's the thing, you're really not making the best out of your once chance to Live. Do you honestly consider eating food the number one joy of Life? Eating healthy amplifies what you can make out of your Life sooo much. I work at a hospital and deal the baby boomers that thought they could eat whatever they wanted when they were in their 20s-40s, and they are not making the best out of Life anymore. You say you only Live once, well what fun is a short ride? All for what? Boxed food.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

NOT BREAKING NEWS...

The original article was from August of 2009 in the Guardian:

www.guardian.co.uk...

Healthy food obsession sparks rise in new eating disorder

Being a "health food nut" myself, I can say that I have run into people that take "avoiding" bad foods as the first step to eating right... which quickly eliminates "non-organic" foods including produce when organic produce options are not available. I also find that many vegans fail to get sufficient B12 and I have known a few who end up with nervous autism like symptoms as a result.

google keywords "b12 vegan autism" 500,000 results:

GOOGLE: B12 VEGAN AUTISM

I find those who fall into this obsession are moreso choosing to battle unhealthy food, rather than to embrace healthy food. I can see how it can become a nervous disorder. Seeking a BALANCED healthy diet is the key to dietary success.

Sri Oracle

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

They are telling me that wanting to eat healthy is a mental disorder?

No...they are telling you being "fixated" with eating healthy CAN be (not IS) a SIGN of a mental disorder.

So is being fixated on being skinny...or being fixatted on washing your hands, or fixated on ANYTHING.

I would guess they are saying it is a form of OCD.

People need to calm down...they aren't saying you can't try to eat healthy...but if you FREAK out because you find out your vegi's weren't 100% organic and you think you are going to die...then ya...you MIGHT be a little mental.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr

Why is it that unhealthy foods taste so much better than healthy foods? You only live once,so I'll eat My beef,Pork and other unthealthy foods and enjoy Myself.

Depends on what you're used to. If you're used to crap food like most of us, healthy variations will come very expensive as you have to replace all those chemicals with real stuff.

Also, the real taste is always better than the fake one. But a lot harder to find, make and even afford on daily basis.

Alas, I know people who got addicted to McDonald stuff which I find tasteless and crappy at best as I've only eaten there few times. They say nothing tastes like McDonalds.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
A moronic article, indeed.

orthorexia nervosa is a condition where you literally would not eat a chocolate bar to save your life, and if you did, you'd probably commit suicide afterward because you'd become so depressed. It has little to do with normal eating habits, or the propensity to eat healthy food.

Imagine, getting all of your self worth from the way you eat, and looking down and despising others because they choose to have a slice of cake for desert.

Imagine feeling guilty and becoming depressed if you've lost control and had just a single bite of ice-cream. This is a condition where you literally have thoughts of suicide and lose all self-esteem if you falter from a 100% healthy diet because your self-image depends on eating healthy.

This condition has nothing to do with normal healthy eating, but unrestricted obsession that causes more negativity than good. Similar to the obsessions that some people have with online games, perhaps.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is unbelievable! If you eat improper or unhealthy foods it can effect your digestion to a point it can cause uncomfortable constipation or other problems. I say this study is rubbish!

What gets me is that there is people out there that say we need to eat healthy and then there is these idiots who say it is a mental distorter?? Sheesh! What is wrong with people?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Just want to note the thread just below this one at the moment is
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I hope you all can appreciate the irony

What I see is Some grad students thesis which further splinters one form of mania which has many expressions from the general issue and creates a whole new "disease" which can be diagnosed and drugged,er, I mean treated.
If we are to continue down this path basically every manic would need a Personal diagnosis with a latin or greek name that describes their particular expression of mania. And every one is different.So every mania would become a discreet disease rather than just manic behavior in general.
I have a cousin who is quite OCD about their diet and generally whips herself silly over any sort of Pleasure Eating. It is a defining and often irritating aspect of her personality in so far as it is disrupting and aggravating when she goes off on how she ate some darn thing she thinks she shouldn't have. She is manic and even though she focuses on her eating and would likely wear this "new" tag by the conditions for diagnosis. She is just manic and it is who she is beyond her food thing.That is just the way she expresses her mania. So now some putz is in some Tome as the one who first recognized this "new" mania, feh! And Pituy!
How many way do we need for them to call us nuts?
Kinda goes along with self -surgery being a sign of mental illness. No not so extreme as removing ones own appendix which I would agree is nuts. Things like lancing a boil or cutting off a wart are considered right alongside.
now what is really crazy?
N.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Try and see beyond the hype.

Washing your hands is good, washing them 50 times a day is OCD.

Eating healthy is good, insisting that your tofu burger is prepared in a biohazard level 4 containment facility shows there's a problem.

Any routine activity can be taken to the level of paranoia, that's all they are trying to say IMO.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernutty

Interesting about the food stamp program. It originally began during the Great Depression as a way to help two groups. The govt would buy surplus commodities from farmers to help that group, then these commodities would be given to those who would otherwise go hungry. Of course, back then most meals were prepared "from scratch"; commodities could be found in any kitchen cupboard.

Forward to today where most food Americans eat is prepared by someone else. And food stamps (along with most food budget $ in typical households) no longer seem to support the American farm family but rather the food corporation.

You know when this country is in deep doodoo, when snacks such as bags of chips, and soda, are called the food of the middle class and the poor, when those corporate manufacturers don't want to see them taxed for fear people won't buy them.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Sounds like they're setting the stage for some of the scarier implications of
CODEX ALIMENTARIUS!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
For all those that are saying that the article is incorrect and is unable to differentiate between simply wanting to eat healthy and OCD I disagree.

Isn't this "obsession" and it growing part of the growing BS in foods these days?

Forget about basic health, isn't this becoming a life and death situation?
Fluoride in our water and toothpaste, aspartame in almost everything, GM Crops and arsenic in our water...... isn't this life and death?

Hey you got a bullet in your chest, but don't be OCD about it, you should be fine no need to go see a doctor.

I realize many will find what I am saying... generalizing but I don't think so.

The same people who call this a disorder have not blasted medicines that causes kidney failure, such medicines are still being sold and our water is still being poisoned but nothing on that front and you say there is no conspiracy here?

Sorry... I don't buy it!

In a quest to cure themselves of a specific disorder, or simply just taking healthy eating to extremes, orthorexics develop their own increasingly specific food rules. Working out how to stick to their self-imposed dietary regimen takes up more and more of their time and they are compelled to plan meals several days ahead. They tend to take a 'survival kit' of their own food with them when they go out, as they cannot eat readily available foods for fear of fat, chemicals or whatever their particular phobia might be.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

See look at the above stupidity.
They are using the word phobia very loosely.

Yes working out and getting fit and being healty is ABSOLUTELY like a a full-time job! And just like in a job you often have to plan things in advance, there's nothing obsessive compulsive about that.

I go to the gym and i keep a journal of what I lifted, does that mean that because I plan to change my schedule of which muscle groups I plan on attacking in a month's time I am being obsessive?

Celebrex is still being sold and doctors are still prescribing it.
Nothing on that!

Listen, let's talk about the facade of paranoia
Govt. and and some reactionaries think that we have to overhaul security because of so many false flag operations, they have become paranoid and want to live in a surveillance society, that's OCD.

THe threat of food being used against us is NOT a facade, it is very true!
So how is this OCD?

Still disagree?
Fine, take the Bratman Test for orthorexia'

The Bratman Test for Orthorexia

-- Do you spend more than 3 hours a day thinking about your diet?

-- Do you plan your meals several days ahead?

-- Is the nutritional value of your meal more important than the pleasure of eating it?

-- Has the quality of your life decreased as the quality of your diet has increased?

-- Have you become stricter with yourself lately?

-- Does your self-esteem get a boost from eating healthily?

-- Have you given up foods you used to enjoy in order to eat the 'right' foods

-- Does your diet make it difficult for you to eat out, distancing you from family and friends?

-- Do you feel guilty when you stray from your diet?

-- Do you feel at peace with yourself and in total control when you eat healthily?

-- Yes to 4 or 5 of the above questions means it is time to relax more about food.

-- Yes to all of them means a full-blown obsession with eating healthy food.

www.eufic.org...

I'll give them what is in bold, otherwise it's complete BS and whoever made this test probably never stepped into a gym.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Pay no heed to the retards, man. We all know organic food is the best way to go. They're just trying to mix up the cards with fancy words. In the end, it's up to each and every one of us to decide for ourselves. Me? I don't feel like being one of the numbers that dies from diabetes, cancer, overweight, or what have you, because I've spent my life eating fastfood and nothing else.

I recommend everyone to watch Food Matters, by the way. Excellent documentary about the subject of food, and it's effect on our health.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join