It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do something now!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
People you need to organise protests! Peacefull protest! I have not seen one yet.. most people just complain on the net. Im currently in europe. But I think thats the only thing that could help! The news in germany hardly shows anything gulf related.. You guys need tp put it on the map globaly!

There might be some protests going on. But its not enough!!! We have got to start doing something NOW! Get out your chairs and do it! Flyers, posters, writting the government.

I dont want to be a smart ass.. But thats the picture I have of the situation.. If there is a lot goin on and I missed it or the media blacked it out.... Then I apologize!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'm in Europe as well, as you said, nothing on the media here...

What you wrote in your OP is the same thing I hear from a LOT of people in Europe: "do something, act..."
Guess it's the same in the US as it is in Europe, when your a civillian, a 'little' man, there is not much you can do. Or is there?
I know a lot of people are ready to step up, but not alone.

Last week a world wide petition was started on the Internet, it was originally about ufo disclosure but a lot of people included the oil spill in their comments. People shouting "stop ruining the planet... time for clean energy... the time is NOW..." etc etc
The link was posted here on ATS by another member... but removed min later for I don't know which reason (so I won't be reposting the link).

S and F, I like the general idea of your OP

[edit on 29/6/2010 by GypsK]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

It's still there in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Thanks for the input.. Will will sign the petition asap!
But still.. A lot more needs to be done.. Things need to get organized.. Actually Im really sad.. I know that my coastline in Virginia will be full of oil in a couple of weeks months.. Once it gets past Florida. I think its a becoming a waste of time watching the rov´s down in the ocean putting on a show.. lets face it people.. Its all about ponys and balloons!
Thousands of animals are probably dying every min, sec.

People I think this is it... the thing we all have been talking about for so long! Its time to step up to the plate!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by heffo7
reply to post by GypsK

ah thanks for that,
another one was removed, it had the petition in the title... couldn't find another one on ats

they only have 6349 signatures, that's not much...
www.petitiononline.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

They need to make one specifically for the Oil Leak.

"The Galactic Federation which is, a community of many star nations that protect our Milky Way Galaxy" I dont think this will go very far.

Im a believer.. I have seen UFO´s but this?
I still signed the petition.. Im waiting on MIB to come get me!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
It says a lot about the government if they need their citizens to 'urge' them to clean up the spill.
Its completely disgusting in my opinion.

A lot of people post videos and ideas to media sites. There are a lot on youtube in fact. It seems ordinary people have been trying more methods than the government.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by hesse

from what i hear, many people are signing up their boats to skim or boom the smaller oil & tar blob psatches..

many more sre filling out the paperwork to get compensation from BP for the lost work due to the oil in the Gulf waters.

all these forms to fill out, lines to stand in---all take time & energy...

these people by their very acts of survival & filing for relief $$
are sending a very concrete signal to the Govt & the world that the situation is dire and the resources need to be ramped up or there will be riots & such...

scavanging resources is much more a relevent task that creating flyers to stick on the mailboxes of others/neighbors that are in just as bad a shape as yourself...protesting etc is such an empty jesture, in this situation.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You expect people to put down their Big Mac's and miss out on the next American Idol, or Dancing with the Star's, ..... so they can go get their hands dirty with oil ???

How dare you sir.

Obviously you've never been to America.

If there was Twinkie Filling spilling into the Gulf I'm sure people would be using Science books to skim it up left and right.

We are becoming Cow's chewing grass in a pasture, who can't see past their own arm, except when being hypnotized by daytime TV.

Apathy is our disease.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
here's a link on facebook which has several other links to online petitions regarding the oil spill and cleaner energy,etc...

some people are at least caring and trying

www.facebook.com...#!/note.php?note_id=124893927551661&id=127016430652731&ref=share

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hesse

Here is how things work in Amerika.
If you protest (ie; a group gathered together to voice displeasure ) the MSM will marginalize whatever message you have. The police will "disperse" the crowd using force and the overall image created will be of " A bunch of Kool- Aid drinkers" ( god I hate that expression!) Enjoying a waste of time.
If you want things done in Amerika you need cash or someone with cash backing you up and buying MSM time.
So yeah, there are many of us who stand ready to do something effective but as far as marching in the streets, this country learned how to discredit such activities after Viet Nam and at this point such often causes more harm than good if trying to raise the consciousness of the masses.
I am a disabled man on fixed income and I must use the means I can to do what I can. In my case that means to try and educate now and stand ready to use my aging carcass as a line in the sand if the SHTF. We have been forced to face that as peons we are not going to get anywhere with a street scene. If we are to get anywhere it will be by exposing the corruption and greed and weeding it out.
N.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

"scavanging resources is much more a relevent task that creating flyers to stick on the mailboxes of others/neighbors that are in just as bad a shape as yourself...protesting etc is such an empty jesture, in this situation."

Yeah I hear you. I feel so helpless, now I actually see how much the media is controlled. Keep in mind that this all is happening when most of the world is watching the soccer wc and worrying about vuvuzelas.
Its scarry that I speak to many people here that think its not so bad. I was thinking more about raising the awareness of the subject around the world.

@ all thanks for all the interesting perspectives.. Something to think about..

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
A lot of people are "doing something": boycotting everything associated with BP.

And everyone else is screaming that they shouldn't, they're only hurting the "little guy" who franchises from BP.

The only way to hurt BP and make them change is to hurt the "little guy" enough to make him quit doing business with a criminal corporation. The argument that they are locked in long-term contracts is hogwash. BP has violated the terms of the franchise by their negligence and actions to the point that the contracts can be broken and the franchisees free to go to a different supplier. The fact that the franchisees haven't even tried to seek this remedy means they deserve absolutely no sympathy: they picked the wrong side, and are unwilling to take the appropriate legal and social actions.

The "something" you want others to do is a complete boycott of ALL BP-associated companies.

Remember the old adages:

"You are known by the company you keep."

"Lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas."

"You made your bed, now lay in it."

Economic pressure is the ONLY way to influence peole who worship money.

[edit on 29-6-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

Originally posted by heffo7
reply to post by GypsK

ah thanks for that,
another one was removed, it had the petition in the title... couldn't find another one on ats

they only have 6349 signatures, that's not much...
www.petitiononline.com...

Yes.. it can be hard to communicate with ATSers about organizing/petitions/protesting.. against ATS terms of use.
Even if it is for the common good.

[edit on 6/30/2010 by Morpheas]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Quite simply protesting is not going to accomplish anything.

Right now what we are really up against in the Gulf of Mexico is logistics.

So let’s see if protestors can do any of the following?

1. Swim a mile beneath the surface while holding their breath????
2. Swim a mile beneath the surface while holding their breath and chewing gum????
3. Swim a mile beneath the surface while holding their breath and chewing a wad of gum as wide as the ruptured oil pipe????
4. Swim a mile beneath the surface while holding their breath, chewing a wad of gum as wide as the ruptured oil pipe, and then take it out of their mouth and wrestle the wad of gum against hundreds of pounds of pressure into the ruptured pipe????
5. Swim a mile beneath the surface while holding their breath, chewing a wad of gum as wide as the ruptured oil pipe, and then take it out of their mouth and wrestle the wad of gum against hundreds of pounds of pressure into the ruptured pipe, then stay down long enough for the chewing gum to set and harden while holding their breath????
6. Swim a mile beneath the surface while holding their breath, chewing a wad of gum as wide as the ruptured oil pipe, and then take it out of their mouth and wrestle the wad of gum against hundreds of pounds of pressure into the ruptured pipe, then stay down long enough for the chewing gum to set and harden while holding their breath, then swim a mile back up to the surface????

Simply put protests are not going to overcome the logistics of solving the problem, a problem that logistically has never been attempted to be solved at such a depth in the oceans.

Ships only sail so fast, drill bits only turn so quickly, material and equipment can only be gathered and transported so quickly, and there is a very limited pool of people with the logistical and technical expertise to solve the problem.

All of which is held hostage to a process carried out by the corporation responsible and the government overseeing it.

None of this will in fact change no matter how much someone protests.

You either get to be part of the problem or part of the solution. So anyone who is a real good swimmer and gum chewer, we sure could use you? Protesters???????????

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I looked into the online petitions once as I had mulled starting one in regards to reopening a 9-11 investigation, the news I got was pretty dismal. Apparently they have no legal basis whatsoever. A real petition is powerful thing with enough support behind it, and it is a legtimate function of redressing grievances, but it takes someone to actually go around and gather the physical signatures. I could be mistaken here, but that was my understanding. It makes me wonder if these online petitions were started to give people the calming illusion of doing something to help a cause merely to keep them off the streets and picket lines.

There's not alot we can do really, at least not in terms of stopping the leak. We could certainly protest, boycott BP, even tar and feather a couple people on our way to the effigy burnings, but the leak continues regardless. It's a sad, sick, twisted, and perhaps life threatening situation for sure, but these online petitions aren't going to physically change anything.
Realisticly I think the most viable option for alot of us is to keep the information flowing and making sure BP doesn't get a red cent of our money. Cleaning the oil, rescuing animals, calling our legislators to raise hell, maybe taking in evacuees if it comes to that, boycotting BP, that's about all a guy can do really. Kind of a sickening helpless feeling though.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by twitchy]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I have the feeling that the situation is out of control, I heard that the relief well´s might not work because the seabed is ruptured. This vidoe also shows the situation to be out of control since there is sooo much Oil in the Ocean and just so few boats out there doing something.

I have a really bad feeling about this.. In a couple of months, this might not just be affecting the Gulf region but most of the East Coast thru the Atlantic via Gulfstream. Raising the awareness of this situation is something I can do here in Germany. Here BP Gasstations are called Aral.. Hardly anyone knows it..

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I have no idea if the online petitions are getting anywhere. But I know that we THE PEOPLE need to come up with a plan.. Fast.. Cause it seems to me BP and the Government isn´t doing anything. (or close to nothing exept covering up)

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by hesse

I can't agree more, the people need to do something... and not just the US citizens but the entire world, everyone who cares.
Here in Europe a lot of people care, in our forums and blogs they are talking about this as much as in yours and what is said is basically the same thing: we need to do something.
A lot of Europeans are wondering why none of the other nations are in the Gulf to help out. Why don't we hear from organisations like Greenpeace or WWF? Aren't they usually the first on the scene... and first in the news?

My own country made a brief statement that they have 7 ships ready to go, a specialized crew that is trained for oil disasters and oil clean up. They are on stand by since april, but they can't take off untill the US or BP asks for help. Is this unsanity or do they keep playing political games? They are acting as if sending a ship to help out, unasked, is like an act of war or something

I wonder how many other countries have help on 'stand by'...

So, I know it won't do much, and I probably won't even get an answer, but yesterday I mailed the European comission and asked them about that. I'll post the reply if I ever get one....
I wanted to write to every European president as well, presenting the same questions, asking them if they are planning to do something. My husband thinks that is just a waste of time and that none of them will answer me...; but I can't sit around and do nothing.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
One more thing I'm pondering on
let's say other countries do send help teams, unasked....
How would the US public react to that?
Let's say countries like Russia or China deside to do something... would the US public see that as 'help' or as an act of war?
think about it.... it's not so simple if you count in politics

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join