It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Alleged Russian Spies Arrested In U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Ten Alleged Russian Spies Arrested In U.S.

www.npr.org

Ten people have been arrested for allegedly serving as secret agents of the Russian government in the United States, the Justice Department said Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cbsnews.com
www.cbsnews.com
www.independent.co.uk
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well, the Russians seem to be at it again? The spy ring is allegedly part of the SVR(Russian CIA) and its leader reports directly to the Russian President. What were they intent on acquiring? Did any sensitive information make it back to Moscow? The names of some of the alleged spies are as American as apple pie and football. Reading the article listed above, I noticed only one alleged spy with a Russian sounding name. Here is what the FBI claims they were up to?

The complaint alleges that some of those charged had a long-term goal to become "sufficiently Americanized" in order to gather intelligence in the U.S. and to "recruit sources who are in, or are able to infiltrate, United States policy-making circles." The complaint says that the "agents" were trained in "foreign languages; agent-to-agent communications, including the use of brush-passes; short-wave radio operation and invisible writing; the use of codes and ciphers, including the use of encrypted Morse code messages; the creation and use of a cover profession; counter-surveillance measures" and more.

www.cbsnews.com...

Clearly they were not amateurs and it appears they were here for an extended stay. This seems like a throw back to the spy games of the Cold War? On a side note, this arrest took place only days after President Obama and his counterpart from Russia, Dmitry Medvedev bended elbows with each other over soft drinks and cheese burgers. Maybe the the President ought to tone done the country club relationship with foreign leaders and put on the game face as other Presidents have shown in the past.

www.npr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Topic already covered. Please disregard. Mods please close thread. Thank you!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Topic already covered. Please disregard. Mods please close thread. Thank you!

Well no.

The mod deleted the other thread.

I have no idea why but it got trashed.

So now your thread is on top. lol.

I had posted a comment in the other thread and will not rewrite it. I don't even really remember what I said.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thanks for the update. I was unaware of that. So, would like comment any further on this topic? I would be interested what you think about it. You mentioned you posted something about it on the previous thread, but would you care to elaborate any further on the topic. It is interesting that two days before this geyser of an arrest of Russian covert operatives on US soil, President Obama was befriending the Russian President over cheeseburgers and soft drinks. Is his approach to normalizing relations between the two countries appropriate?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I sure wish I knew what they were doing here
or what their agenda was.

1 or 2 I can understand to keep tabs
but 10 ???

Something has to be up with this.
I wonder if it has anything to do with
false flags in the future? But I'm sure the
public may never find out.

Also, remember those 10 Afhanis who were
AWOL from Texas? What is it with these groups
of 10? Do we have foreign government false
flags gettin ready to happen???

[edit on 28-6-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
With our attention fixated on N. Korea and the Middle East, now was the perfect opportunity to slip some spies in. I found it fascinating that they were focused on influencing our policymaking. In what ways did they want to manipulate it? what was the end goal???

link   
[edit on 28-6-2010 by OpenSecret]

link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Maybe the mod is an SVR agent?!?! J/K
I had just clicked that link anf got a 404 error! I really wish u would post what ya had said to the best of your recollection. Seems you always have pretty good insight into things. While I'm glad that these 10 russian agents were apprehended. I'm really more worried about the fact that we have high ranking advisors and high ranking lobbyists with dual citizenship who have a direct line to the president and other numerous senators and representatives. That they seem to have quite the hand in forming and guiding the policies that our "elected" leaders force down our throats.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I am as concerned as you about this as well. These agents must have been here for quite a long time. They had cover jobs, phony backgrounds, owned homes, and even sufficiently Americanized themselves. This could be big and it happened only few days after the leader of Russia met with the President. If I were the President, I would take this recent development as a slight by the Russian government. These were not amateurs and it seems a lot training and funding went into this operation. I would bet there are others scattered around the country who may be our neighbors or co-workers by day and are up to far more nefarious by night.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenSecret

As corrupt and inept as the government seems is at the moment, I feel the same way about how serious this breach of security could be? It would not be difficult to blend in and befriend some weak and absent minded politicians and bureaucrats. All they would have to do is go to a few barbecues and shower them with cash and gifts.

Some shady business is afoot, and perhaps these foreign governments are poised to capitalize off of it? Criminality is on rise and I fear it has reached all phases of our society. Like you, I would like to know what their manipulative goals are as well. Their trial is probably going to be as restrictive as possible, under the veil of national security reasons. Still, this is a big arrest.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by azrael36

You made a very good point about the far reaching influence of lobbyists and how some with foreign ties could be harmful to US security and policy. There ought to be some restrictive measures in place about how these lobbyists operate. That is one of the most important issues of the day, but Congress will never impose restrictions on them. As long as they keep them fat with cash and campaign contributions, they will turn a blind-eye to them. The influence of these individuals is a travesty and an abomination to the political system. They have more sway over the political process than the voters and constituents of the politicians. Good point about the lobbyists with dual citizenship!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

I just finished watching Angels and Demons Revealed. If what is in the video is true 10 spies is nothing.

Google Video Link

[edit on 28-6-2010 by belidged]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
USSR is still alive. JUSt with a different name. I still belive that they had something to do with the polish plane crash!. I also belive Kagan is one of them.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I didn't understand the big deal. Spies are a fact of life? Even allies spy. Everyone spies.

Why did the FBI catch them?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Here is some more information on what these spies were doing. Apparently, the FBI were on these peoples' tails for 10 years?

the court filings provide a remarkable blow-by-blow of the FBI's extensive probe of the Russian agents, known as "illegals," whose goal, investigators allege, was to "become sufficiently 'Americanized' such that they can gather information about the United States for Russia" and recruit sources from "United States policy-making circles." As seen on the following pages, the Russian agents employed spycraft both prosaic and high tech.

www.thesmokinggun.com...

They must have got sloppy or were in the process of relaying vital information to their handlers, and the Feds thought it was time to pull the plug. The source above is a play-by-play of the investigation via the court documents. Interesting read.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Jakes51]

la2

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
These are deep cover spies, they had allegedly been here since 1990, way before relations were as good as they are now.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Obama is probably a spy too;
with all his fake birth certificates

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SupremeKnowledge

Of course he is.He traveled to Pakistan when Americans were not allowed to do.

He has had a number of different names and personas.

It actually is a well known fact,in Russia.

www.rense.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
so the news say that these people are american citizens , so how would this go down legaly, im not an american and im askin does the constituition still apply to them, ???????

top topics

<<   2 >>

join