It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's YOUR Job To Raise Your Children, Not Society's..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I agree that while it's nice to offer help, and most people would, it is NOT the neighbor's responsibility. It's the parents. They should have been outside supervising their own child, or designated someone to do it for them, since the child didn't have the thought to stay out of the street.

Not every body is a good Samaritan, and a parent would know this. You cannot depend on the kindness of strangers, nor blame them when things go wrong. The responsibility is ultimately the parent.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

You can't just keep holding their hands, can you ?

There will be a point you will have to let go.

Then what ?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

I agree that while it's nice to offer help, and most people would, it is NOT the neighbor's responsibility. It's the parents. They should have been outside supervising their own child, or designated someone to do it for them, since the child didn't have the thought to stay out of the street.

Not every body is a good Samaritan, and a parent would know this. You cannot depend on the kindness of strangers, nor blame them when things go wrong. The responsibility is ultimately the parent.

Ahh, that's what you meant ok, I understand now.

Yes I totally agree, you should be watching your children until they are old enough to watch themselves, and even then you should know what they are up to at all hours of day.

It's not anybody elses responsibility but your own, your right.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I should think it would be obvious I was referring to a small child in this example.

I edited that comment quickly, however i was very quickly quoted.

This is common sense by my estimation. I've seen too many injured children, in circumstances that could have been avoided, had the parent provided proper supervision.

As for your question, that depends on the child.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I'm sorry. I was to quick and misunderstood in my enthusiasm.

But... I did agree with you. So... It will happen again. Probably...

Thank you for taking the time to explain.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I agree with the OP. And although I respect my friend ladyinwaiting, and agree with her premise, I would have to say there is a need for a synthetic blend of responsibility between both Parents and the Community as a whole. The quote you mentioned "It takes a village to raise a child." I feel you have taken out of context. The brunt of the responsibility undeniably lays on the parents and as many of you said, I think it is quite obvious 'parents' have failed their children for many decades. But that quote imo intends, that without a healthy, responsible and caring environment, raising a healthy, responsible and caring child is a most difficult thing, even for the best parents. Like someone said earlier, sooner or later you will have to let go of your grip on your child, to not do so is unhealthy, and then there are many more factors that come into play.

However, I also think there are some great examples of how good parenting can go a long way to rebuke a harsh environment. Like, a child raised in the Ghetto but goes on to become a doctor or lawyer. Or as an opposite, how bad parenting can affect a child regardless of their surrounding environment, like, a child raised in a wealthy affluent suburb who goes on to become a drug addict and criminal. I don't know, maybe I just contradicted my previous statement
but I do think that the surrounding environment plays a big part in 99% of children. To be clear, imo, that still doesn't change the need for a greater sense of responsibility by parents.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

You are going to love this... Answer Machine Message From Queensland Maroochydore High School - this hysterical answering machine message was unanimously accepted by the school board responding to many parents complaining about their child's failing grades, while the students had missed 15-30 days of the school year. It is priceless.

[edit on 8-8-2010 by rusethorcain]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join