It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China overlooked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Here are a couple points from this article, from the New York Post, in regard to China and its military buildup that is unnecessary for simple defense (Who is threatening it?)
What, with the War on Terror and all, they seem to be pretty busy little military beavers, going unnoticed.

As the Pentagon notes:

* In 2004, the PRC's military budget will grow by 11.6 percent � excluding weapons research and purchases. Add those in, and China's defense budget becomes the world's third largest (after the U.S. and Russia and ahead of Japan) at $50 billion to $70 billion a year.

* China's imports of high-tech weaponry rose 7 percent over last year. From its largest supplier, Russia, China has bought nearly $20 billion in arms, including world-class Su-27 and Su-30 fighters, stealthy KILO-class diesel submarines and prodigious Sovremennyy-class destroyers equipped with supersonic, sea-skimming SS-N-22 anti-ship cruise missiles.

www.nypost.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Personally, I think China's about to make a rush for Taiwan. What with the American military focused on the middle east, perhaps they think the U.S. won't be able to mount a solid defence of Taiwan. Maybe they think the U.S. won't even care. Many people believe China is just flexing its new economic muscle. Still others whisper that China is secretly on the verge of a civil war. It's rapid expansion due to western capitalist trading could be making some communist purists a little angry.

Japan should be extremely wary if China makes a grab for Taiwan. China is still pretty sore about the Japanese atrocities on chinese civilians during WW2, and even before. I don't think it would hesitate to even the score.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Good points. There is always the possibility that China is trying to outspend Taiwan in defense. That might be laughable, but I think it's much less laughable than it would have been in the past. Granted Taiwan receives American aid, but how much of that aid is paid for or on loan? And it might be a hedging strategy like in investing -- if China thinks America will be projecting its force in future arenas (Iran, North Korea, who knows...) and if it sees that as against its interests, it might be building up its military capability to force the US to maintain a higher level of forces in case, as America perceives it, China decides to make a bold move. And China also has other border disputes, most notable of which are the oil-rich Spratly Islands.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I hope they don�t invade Taiwan because where I live is right in the firing line if anything goes down. If they did have ago it would, as you well know world war three with out a doubt. But for overlooking china I think the general public think there a bunch or over populated dirt farmers but are military�s have been watching them for a while.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The US won't intervene if China invaded Taiwan, they don't have to balls for a war against a vast country like China.

With American aims to set up more bases in the far east, of course China is going to want to consolidate its military strength.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Taiwan is going back to China, one way or another the way I see it. And I'll see the grand opening and all the missiles from my balcony here in Xiamen when it all starts
I don't think diplomacy will solve much.

A matter of time as we call it over here.

Do you think a 32 floor building mainly constructed with Iron stand well if a missile hits btw..? I might consider moving to Longyan and the countryside when the whole party really gets going. But the first missiles I would definately want to see from my balcony, hehe

Welcome to visit as we get closer to launch. I'll serve green tee and biscuits, front seat on 28th floor with view of the sea between Xiamen and Taiwan. Spectacular~~

Lurker

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Oh i think they will defend Taiwan because an attack on Taiwan at this point is seen as a attack on the US. I mean you cant say for sure they will or wont but they have said so in the past when things have goten sticky.

But if China did take Taiwan back by means of war it would lead to huge arms race in the region.Not a good place for that at the moment.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I could be wrong, but I think the U.S. signed an agreement with Taiwan
legally obliging it to defend Taiwan in case of attack. How this aggreement would hold up if Taiwan was taken back by China is a mystery to me.
As far as China simply trying to outspend Taiwan on defense goes, I don't think so. Chinas' aim isn't to beat Taiwan economically, it's total re-assimilation. It's a pride thing. Here's big, bad China, and little Taiwan's giving it the finger. Granted, it's an American finger, but a finger none the less. To China, Taiwan is a constant insult. China has openly stated that any attempt by Taiwan to declare it's independence would result in immediate military action. If the American military were called into action, the American people might not be so eager to go to war with China over something as small as Taiwan. China knows this, and in my best guess, is counting on it. But if China attacks the U.S. first, well, the people of the U.S. have no problems with going to war if they're attacked first. Such an attack would probably have to occur IN the U.S. for it to have that effect. An attack on an American base in Taiwan might not motivate them enough.

[edit on 14-6-2004 by The Last Patriot]

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
He who controls Taiwan controls the shipping lanes to Japan. Japan needs oil and is a big friend to the US. The US will preserve control over this shipping lane and maintain a forward presence in this area.

Control of the west Pacific is a huge strategic advantage for the US and they will not give it up, no matter how much military is required. The war with China will be quick, but ugly. This will not be a Iraq-style war.

I really hope it doesn't happen, but I fear that war is inevitable. My future plans are to move to Taiwan and I hope it's still there!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I don't think any issue regarding Taiwan will go quickly. Neither diplomatic nor military. If China attack Taiwan in order to conquer, they won't give up easily just because America joins the battle.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
China's going through a massive building phase right now, and if they have a fully domestic defense industry it probably makes sense for them to spend a huge amount of money on the military, since the money stays within the chinese economy anyway. I don't think it's directly related to anything imminent or current. Rather it's a long term buildup and repositioning to prepare for the unknowns of the 21st century.

Strategically, from a european perspective, close ties with Russia are probably the best thing for us, and for Russia too.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I see no need in spending money on the military as China is doing; there are other ways to spend the money domestically, and not do it needlessly - unless China has other plans.

Couple this buildup with the Chinese generals' White Papers of a few years ago, and one has a very worrisome vision of missiles being launched at several countries, and it looks like Japan is seeing it in that light.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
One of the big issues being debated here in Taiwan regards the "Three Gorges Dam." Should it be a target should China initiate a war with Taiwan. Frankly, I think it SHOULD be a target and any discussion of publically taking it off a list of potential targets is absurd. When you are being threatened by a much larger neighbor, you should use anything you can as a deterrant against it. Taiwan's ability to strike the dam with missiles, and therefore its ability to leave much of Central China underwater, shouldn't be so quickly given away.

I live in Taiwan, so I have no desire to see Chinese missiles begin flying my way. However, China's claim to Taiwan is nonexistant from a historical and legal standpoint.

An earlier poster mentioned that there was an agreement between Taiwan and the U.S. concerning Taiwan's defense. Actually, the U.S. withdrew from the R.O.C.-U.S. mutual defense pact in 1979, however, the Taiwan Relations Act requires that the United States assist Taiwan against China.

It would be in the United States interests to ensure that Taiwan doesn't fall into Chinese hands. First of all, the Taiwanese people are very pro-American as a general rule. Taiwan is one of the best friends of the U.S. in this part of the world. Furthermore, an occupied Taiwan gives China easy access to the Pacific Ocean. Bottling it in would no longer be a simple matter. Also, it would be a springboard that the Chinese could use for future attacks on The Phillipines and Japan, two democratic countries who are friends of the U.S. in the region.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
China has a bone to pick with Japan from before WW2...i wouldnt be surprised to see China take out Japan, but using economic force not military. China would lose a military conflict with the US, even with Russia on their side...would be a hell of a war..

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Simply put, in a war between China and the U.S., no one would be the clear winner. The U.S. could probably pull out the victory due to its' allies and superior technology, but it would come at a terrible cost to both sides. Not to mention the million caught in the middle. Chinas' greatest strength is also its' greatest weakness. It is touted as having the "Worlds largest standing Army", but in the age of modern warfare, numbers can't always help. The amount of supplies needed to keep this force operating would be enormous. One wellplaced missile and thousands of their troops would starve, freeze, or die from disease eventually.

Ever heard of the term "clusterf%$k?(I have no fear of the Chinese Army, but censors scare the bejeesus out of me) This is exactly what the Red Army would be dealing with.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Could this be where that carrier groups are heading off to?

If the US were to get involved, it would completly be fought from the sea and air.

Are these ships still gone?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Let me ask you all this. Please answer as thouroughly and as thoughtfully as you can.

Say China invades Taiwan or supports North Korea in a war. The U.S. would fight China, right?

The question is, would the U.S. go as far as INVADING China? I mean, I can see the U.S. launching airstrikes or at the most destroying Chinese forces that come near Taiwan or South Korea, but I just can't see any U.S. president being as insane as to invade China. That just seems inconcievable.

Without military forces already stretched thin in Iraq and the rest of the world, and the U.S. military being the size it is, the only way I see an invasion happening is if we get every industrialized and modernized nation in the world to help us. Otherwise, we destroy them as they come.

What do you all think?

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludahai
One of the big issues being debated here in Taiwan regards the "Three Gorges Dam." Should it be a target should China initiate a war with Taiwan. Frankly, I think it SHOULD be a target and any discussion of publically taking it off a list of potential targets is absurd. When you are being threatened by a much larger neighbor, you should use anything you can as a deterrant against it. Taiwan's ability to strike the dam with missiles, and therefore its ability to leave much of Central China underwater, shouldn't be so quickly given away.

Oh~~I see "Three Gorges Dam"

Come on! Baby!

Show your courage!Give us an excuse!

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The Island of Guam is being built up once again to put a Pacific Base in their back yard. The only thing we have to be concerned with is how to keep the "Kings Of The East" from stealing our secret technology on missile systems that Clintoon and his cronies made availiable. China is a nuclear option only. The land mass of asia is no place to get bogged down slugging it out with conventional forces surely we are wise to that! Well! maybe not, given current circumstances!

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Here's one possible scenario of what's going to happen.

China will attack Taiwan sooner or later. It will be over so fast that when the Americans arrive, there's nothing left to defend except chinese territory. Then there will be the choice if to attack China or not... and I really wouldn't recommend it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join