It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Age Of Oil Is Over

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I found this vid today and thought I would share it because of it's message as well as some additional footage. It is a GreenPeace vid, but all angles are important on this crisis, imo.
I know the title is dramatic(not mine), but maybe the one good thing to come out of this is the continued weening ourselves from oil and moving into renewable resources. I realize this will cause loss of jobs, but the bigger picture should represent an evolution and redirection of our energy growth and aspirations. It is only going to happen with widespread support and changing some of our habits/comforts.
I do realize how much we depend on petro products, so the change will be a slow one but hopefully the momentum will pick up.

The Age Of Oil Is Over

Along the lines of "sending a message," what do you guys think about dedicating a single day next month, Sat/Sun to either not drive, or not buy gas. We do have some power in the situation and maybe this is one way to do something about it?

Peace

[edit on 27-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I find it interesting that you would choose a weekend day for your supposed "opt out" since I presume this would be the most advantageous to you because it would be the least harmful to your normal way of life.

No purchasing gasoline for one day only shifts the demand to another, it does not remove the demand.

Th age of oil is not over. The age of affordable oil is over, in no small measure due directly to people like you who only want to appear concerned yet offer no real and meaningful solutions that would actually work.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Age of Oil is over when Hemp would be legal to grow and we can make our own non toxic oil, paper, cloths, rope and 50,00 + products

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yeah, a weekend without driving isn't that hard to accomplish, that's why german chosed sunday for their "car free" day in 1973 because of the oil-crisis. Most people didn't mind, because Sunday is generally a lazy day.

And like Geeky_Bubbe said, don't buying fuel for one day doesn't anything. People will buy it the next day.

In the end you only hurt people who live from cars and fuel, i don't mean the big managers behind BP & Co. but for example the owners of gas stations

And i don't think the "Age of oil" is over, i guess there's still enough there for the next few decades and after that we can easily switch to something other, that already exists, like electric cars, natural gas or something different.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Geeky_Bubbe

Uummm..I wasn't thinking just about myself, I was trying to think practically, since most of us have to work during the week so we kind of have to drive Mon - Fri, no? And pardon me and "people like me" for trying to make some kind of difference. "Real and meaningful difference" is subjective and by definition I think my suggestion qualifies, but to each their own I guess.

Respect

reply to post by pavelivanov22

I won't hold my breath...
I dig your avatar, funny!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I wish!
That is one of my life's dreams.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
A very small percentage of a barrel of petroleum actually becomes gasoline you put into your vehicle.

Look around at all the plastic products you purchase daily.

You can not be weaned off of your addiction to petroleum.

Look at the keyboard and mouse you use to respond to this post.

What is it made out of?

Petroleum products have made all persons life safer.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

I appreciate your perspective, I just keep trying to think of something we can do. I have already sent donations and I am getting frustrated living this tragedy vicariously thru my computer while sitting on my hands unable to do much. So do you think we do not need nor ever will ween ourselves from oil?

Respectfully,
speculativeoptimist

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I feel it would be more effective to organize a rally in Houston, Texas right in front of the BP US Headquarters. Their offices exist in what is called the "Energy Corridor" so any message would be received by several energy corporations.

Energy Corridor

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

i agree with you - as traumatic and devastating as this atrocity in our Gulf is, it would be untrue for me to say that we did NOT obviously need a sharp slap in the teeth, so to speak, to get us to pay attention!
and stop procrastinating!
it is just that much harder when the stuff runs all the way out, to try to scramble up some alternatives.
that's just plain foolishness and sad to say, after all these 7,000 years or even more, we are still damn fools!

that being said, i think that one day a week, not driving (or riding!), is a great idea!

for those who are giving the OP a hard time, don't you realize that nothing gets done by the human race except by starting small?

there is power in numbers but it comes exponentially just like the plague or influenza!
right actions and positive thoughts are just as viral as disease.

maybe informally decide on Sat. or Sun. and those who work weekends can pick their day off of driving accordingly.

and don't forget car pooling!
does anyone do that anymore?
i haven't worked outside of my home for several years so i don't know!

thank you for your inspiration, speculativeoptimist!

nice nickname!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Thank you for the kind words and insight.

there is power in numbers but it comes exponentially just like the plague or influenza!
right actions and positive thoughts are just as viral as disease.

Thank goodness!

Peace

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yes, but the point is, we still buy things that were brought to us via petrol. You would still be driving to work the following day. Even if EVERYONE does it, it could only send a symbolic message. It doesnt effect 'their' bottom line whatsoever.

That's like a junkie not coming to visit his dealer for ONE DAY.

The dealer knows he's coming back, and will be buying even more next time.

It's a nice thought, sure. But not actually effective. The only way to achieve that is to unplug entirely, which is still meaningless on the macro level when the rest of the population is still consuming, consuming, consuming.

I barely EVER drive a car, and I know I still contribute as much as the guy down the road who drives
every day.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The only way for there to be an end to oil is when there is no more left, also for those who think the BP oil spill is a conspiracy I assuer you it isn't.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I agree; you have to start small, and doing something is better than doing nothing. I live about 1/4 mile from a Kroger, restaurants, stores and the like. For a day I could walk up for groceries or whatever I need. I have been saying I would do this for the last 5 years, but I never get around to it. I would get around to it for this! Thanks

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

True true and nice analogy.

it could only send a symbolic message

This would most likely be the extent of the effort, but I am thinking even a symbolic gesture would show that we are increasingly collectively aware of a situation, thereby empowering us as consumers to make waves and create change. As an example, I was thinking about the high fructose corn syrup. This year I have seen more and more products labeled No HFCS and this is a result of consumers buying products without HFCS. Our demand weighs heavy in the scheme of things and even subtle and symbolic messages, when delivered collectively and in numbers, increases the momentum of change including redirecting our energy goals and practices either away from petroleum or by incorporating more renewable/alt energy applications.

reply to post by jobujack

Probably the stark truth there, done when there's none...
Thanks

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The emotional arguments against oil are just emotional not logical. We are in a depression and even when the country was in the black financially it would take decades to really go to something else. Now it won’t happen in our lives.
But let’s just say we did replace oil with some widget……… Then we have to use widgets at a scale that it will too be on the emotional minds of those who are on the emotional oil hate wagon. Imagine the monstrous widget factories pulling in resources from everywhere, oil in underground and we don’t see the mass of the rate we use it.
We should be working on using everything, and oil more efficiently because it’s the only real option.
Sorry.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Steve8511

A more efficient use of oil? Yes and that is one of many factors that is part of a more sensible energy plan and the long term weening process.

The only widget that could replace oil is hemp, but that's another story, impractical if for no other reason than it would cut into the established industries pocket's.

I know we have to still use oil and perhaps the title of the thread should be different, but it's the one that came with the story. I am just hoping for a new/better energy paradigm to arise from this situation.

Peace

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Can i answer that? IMO, If we stopped consuming useless products then we could probably consume oil in moderation for a very long time. The problem isnt so much individual consumption levels, but that the entire mechanisms of our collective infrastructure are built around cheap petrol. Until we can get over the idea of cheap, abundant energy, we will continue to consume oil.

Oil isnt just what we put in our cars. It's what our products are made with. Its the oil that greases the wheel (literally and figuratively) of our whole society.

And so forth

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Can i answer that? IMO, If we stopped consuming useless products then we could probably consume oil in moderation for a very long time.

There is a certain level of merit in that statement, but I would suggest that perhaps your "useless" is my "necessity" and, logically, vise versa.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Geeky_Bubbe

Semantics, perhaps.

In the grand scheme of things, even our iphones are useless trinkits.

I'd trade it all for clean drinking water flowing from the earth once again.

My main point its that makes up a far larger percentage of oil consumption than just your choice of automobile.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join