It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama internet "kill switch "bill approved

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I strongly believe that protective measures such as this one are needed. Today, we have the HTC Evo which acts as a wireless hotspot, game systems and tv's with wireless connections and rectangular shaped Ipad's people carry around which have access to the internet. My point is that we, as a nation are becoming increasingly dependent on the internet. We can acknowledge this fact, but we must also acknowledge that the internet is one of the most dangerous systems the would has ever known.

I wouldn't doubt that there will be hackers that can activate your built in web cams or even listen to you using the microphones on your cell phones. I have watched videos of simulated internet attacks on nuclear facilities! Remember that guy who "hacked" into the NASA files a while back and was expedited to the US? In China those type of people probably get rewarded, they are just much better at what they do.

Look at this situation however you would like. It's not black and white. There is defiantly a good reason for this type of legislation.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CASH69
The president is only helping to destroy his support,and country by passing all these ridiculous laws without our approval. The economy will suffer even greater. I'm starting to think he may be a paranoid schizophrenic. Is this what we need right now?

Dont focus on Obama. He is just the fall guy. You dont think there are people telling him "this needs to be done" etc? His job is twofold.

1) Be popular enough and smooth talking enough to make the majority vote for you.

2) Take all the heat personally for policies that would have been passed regardless who was elected so that the next corporate drone can be elected by promising he will do everything better than you did.

He will be millionaire within a few years of leaving office, in this job, because we have laws against taking money in office, the payoff comes after you perform as expected.

And Ian Maclean is right. The whole point of making this seem like a done deal is to goad everyone into hopeless apathy, so that there is no resistance to it. Lots of hand wringing, and moaning, and "oh how could they do this?" but no actual activism.

Dont give them what they want. DO something.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
After reading this article posted on Fox news I'm convinced its the USA version to kill the internet
and not a true Microsoft patch on security as they promote it. "new patch for Internet Explorer for the 900 million users"
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by k0mbination

...And this is supposed to be a free society where we have a right to free speech? I just love how the media doesn't work for us anymore. The press is supposed to be our checks and balances against government injustices, yet they don't consider this an attack on free speech and free internet access news worthy? This shouldn't have even been considered a thought to make this an issue in this country!

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Obama couldn't kill the internet, contrary to popular belief, America doesn't hold all the servers

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well America are you just going to sit there and let them control your (not the internet). Pretty soon the infrastructure that was previously being supplied by the USA will be supplied by other countries because believe it or not the internet is asset of the people of the world not the USA as your politicans seem to think - and people want it uncensored and uncontrolled - they are selling your country out for their own greed, but it will come back to bite them - unfortunately for American's freedom of speech is on it's way out the door as everybody sits back and watches.
edit on 13-2-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

The internet is only dangerous to those who do not want everyone to have an equal voice.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
Obama couldn't kill the internet, contrary to popular belief, America doesn't hold all the servers

You don't need to shut down servers for this. The Govt would need to shut down ISP equipment.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

This is a very interesting thread you started op.

While looking at some job listings today at the local university veterans’ center I came across a job listing for Homeland Security. It was very specific “laying fiber optic cable in different states”. The job also requires previous military experience with a security clearance of secret or better . The job requires extensive travel to sum this up; the travel is the entire western and southern United States. Homeland Security is recruiting from a very specific military occupation with the clearance and military occupations closely related.

why would a person need a secret clearance for laying cable? The job listing went on to state other equipment. Pay is in the high 30’s

Sounds like a nice Job too. Is the the gov, building a private internet or expanding on one. ?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I do remember not to long ago Saudi Arabia was feeling the pressure. Blackberry did not want to have their email servers spied on in Saudi Arabia. I’m not sure what happened to that story. But I did hear that the people of Saudi Arabia started using blackberry Messenger and are still using it. It also heard that Rim would not give up their encryption. I don’t think they have either because they would loose lots of business if not the entire company, not to mention there in Canada.

So, if your worried about the plug being pulled get a blackberry. The BIS Servers are in Canada and routed everywhere. Rim has lots servers in the world they own, just about in every country. The good thing about blackberry is that there not Apple. And if the plug was pulled just take your unlocked blackberry and try other connections, there is always away to get connected to the BIS Servers in Canada.

I don’t know how tech savvy this administration is , but the last called the internet the “Inter-Nets. Most politicians interviewed said “ The Inter-Nets are connected with pipes” Most had no Idea how the internet was structured, What I though was so funny was most politicians think the internet resides in the USA and the world connects to it. So I think it would be a while for any type of kill switch to be implemented. The logistics are just to great for any one government to handle. Al Gore might know , Al said he invented the Inter_Nets

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Study networking and TCP/IP, the internet isn't www.abovetopsecret.com it's 80.245.32.234 (thats just random example numbers, not the ATS address)

The numbers range from 1 to 256, just like your home network is likely 192.168.x.x, thats your LAN, the internet is a WAN, google it and you will be wiser my friend.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Domain Name Service ( DNS ) is responsible for matching website names with their respective IP Addresss. www.AboveTopSecret.com = 67.228.0.162

If DNS is shutdown/unavailable, entering www.abovetopsecret.com in the address bar will result in a "Server Not Found" error... however entering 67.228.0.162 in the address bar will bring up the site ( if it is available ).

DNS Shutdown was one of the methods used in Egypt.

Here are a few reasons why DNS is an effective vector for 'Shutting Down' the Internet within a specific country.

1. Most ISPs only operate a few DNS servers. Remove just these 2-4 devices and all requests ( as in Egypt ) that use these ISP DNS servers will return a "Server Not Found' error. For the 85+ % of users ( those who haven't prepared ) the Internet would effectively be "Shut Down". Although in reality the resources are likely still available, just unreachable.

2. Most ISPs operate a large/huge number of Routers. Installing the control software ( as utilised with Egypts 4 top ISPs ) on all of these routers, in all ISPs in the USA, would be an enormous task. However, this approach would be expected with the main Routers that handle traffic into and out of the USA.

3. Literally 'Shutting Down' all Internet devices is not a realistic option. TCP/IP ( the Internet protocols ) is the standard communications protocol suite used for military & government communications. Removing these devices from the network would also negatively affect governent communication networks.

4. Removing DNS provides the appearance ( to the unknowledgable ) of an Internet Shutdown, whilst maintaining functionality for the govt. to use. "All warfare is based on deception." Sun Tzu

The recent events in Egypt highlighted the following noteworthy points...

1. During the shutdown of the DNS servers of Egypts 4 top Internet Service Providers, approx 15% of users switched to Alternative DNS providers and were able to continue to access websites within Egypt.

2. Router filtering software (from a US company) was used to block unauthorised Internet traffic from leaving/entering the Egytpian network to/from overseas networks. ( where did I put that link? ). It did not block Internet traffic "within" Egypt, just at the network borders.

How is this useful ?

You can find a list of alternative DNS servers for your network at DNS Server List. I recommend saving a copy locally so you can access it should DNS be unavailable.

There are plenty of videos on the www demonstrating how to utilise an alternative DNS.

Many ( but not all ) websites are also configured to be accessed via IP Address, like ATS. You can test which websites are accessible by doing the following...
1. Go to DNS Tools and enter the website name ( e.g., www.abcd.com )
2. Take the resulting IP Address and enter it into the browser address bar.
3. If the website loads, record the IP Address.

Of course, none of this will matter in the event of a catastrophic EMP or similar. But the info here should be enough to point people in the right direction for how to access the Internet in a situation similar to that of Egypt.

edit on 14-2-2011 by V3isM3 because: Clarifying a couple of points.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nowayreally

When those false flag bombs go boom, and martial law is declared, when we're all being shipped to fema camps, wouldn't it be convenient to completely kill the internet so the people deemed as rebels (You and I) Have trouble communicating with each other?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I think the best thing for this country would be for the govmt to shut down the internet. It would probably be the only way most of us fat Americans get off the couch/PC/video game console to go fight. Real talk.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by macman

Study networking and TCP/IP, the internet isn't www.abovetopsecret.com it's 80.245.32.234 (thats just random example numbers, not the ATS address)

The numbers range from 1 to 256, just like your home network is likely 192.168.x.x, thats your LAN, the internet is a WAN, google it and you will be wiser my friend.

Yes, I am well versed. I have a CCNA and I work at an ISP. Even if the DNS servers went down, direct IP input for the URL would work. The path is still there. For our company, all of the fiber nodes would need to be shut down. That would kill the connection.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

To make things worse is that some foreign hackers will get access and shut the web down entirely.
Or hold it hostage.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join