It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Calif. city plans to lay off most city employees, disband police dept

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Article

MAYWOOD, Calif. – The small city of Maywood south of downtown Los Angeles plans to lay off almost all its employees, disband its police department and contract municipal operations to a neighboring city.

Facing a budget deficit of at least $450,000 and unable to get insurance because of a history of lawsuits, many involving the police department, the Maywood City Council said Monday night it had no choice but to adopt the plan.

The 1.2-square-mile city will hire the Los Angeles County sheriff's department for law enforcement services, and the neighboring city of Bell will handle other city services such as finance, records management and parks and recreation.

Experts told the Los Angeles Times the decision appeared to be unprecedented among California cities.

Im not familiar with the city in the article, Maywood, so Im wondering if this is really significant? A possibility of future events to come to other cities? 1.2 square miles and a $450,000 deficit. Sounds pretty small to me, but again, Im not familiar with the city.

Anyone that knows about this city have anymore information on this? Is this really even that significant? I can see how this will strech the LA County Sheriffs even more.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
When you allow that police department to become corrupt and it cost the city big bucks this what happens.

uprisingradio.org...
www.wavenewspapers.com...
forums.officer.com...
webcache.googleusercontent.com...:gDiQnI3zusQJ:ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/press/pdfs/n1722_maywoodreport.pdf+maywood+police+departme nt+lawsuits&cd=25&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Dang....thats alot of courruption for a town thats 1.2 square miles. Im sure theres more stuff that's happend there that hasnt been reported yet.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I went to first grade at a school in Maywood. It's been like 30 years now so I don't have anything useful to say except that I thought it was a hole then and it still is.

From what I remember it was overrun by welfare recipients. My grandparents owned a home there and could never get good renters. They ended up selling the place after they got tired of the constant vandalism.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I was reviewing the AZ drug lord hide out threat earlier and this is strange.

What if more cities start loosing their, police and power?

Perhaps it will be only a few isolated cases, but what are your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I did a quick search around the web for city crime information and found this site Maywood Crime Reports 2003

Not sure if Im reading the graphs right, but the site says Maywood's violent crime is 1.06 times the National Average (per capita).

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Guess what ethnic group makes up the majority of the city's population? Hint: they marched on their post office and tore up the US flag and replaced it with a flag of a certain foreign nation back in 2006.

As for the disbanding of the Maywood PD, dident they do this before and then "re-form" the department after about a year or was that just discussion about this recent take over?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Many local and state governments are laying off and having cutbacks. A quick infusion of money from Obama is not the answer. That's short term thinking just for a vote.

People don't realize what economic difficulties many taxing organizations are going through. This year is bad, next year will be even worse.

top topics

join