It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama ban on deepwater drilling overturned

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
I pray and pray and pray to GAIA that she rips one mother of a methane fart.......... May GAIA kick all your asses..........May GAIA know who's ass to kick!

Does anyone have any quotes from Posieden, The Man from Atlantis, Aquaman, or any other mythical beings besides GAIA?

Banning drilling for 6 months was a stupid decision, much like most of Obama's decisions, and it was rightfully overturned.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Excellent news. Obama will have to learn that he must follow the Constitution the same as we all do. Enough of his making up the rules as he goes along.

The Federal government of the United States can revoke the charter of any business at any time for any reason.

Especially when it has the potential to effect the lives of millions.

You people...you people are destroying this country with your Fox fed ignorance.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I see that plenty of people on ATS do not give a damn about Louisiana or the people of Louisiana.

I also see that they don't understand what it is to be fair or just.

Thankfully, they arn't federal judges.

What the federal judge did was help save my state. It makes absolutely no legal sense to punish the entire oil industry over the exploits of a worthless foreign industry who has a long history of screw ups.

With the fishing industry in Louisiana pretty much wiped out, all we have left is the oil industry. Without the tax revenue from it, the state will go bankrupt.

This judge is trying to save us. Meanwhile it seems like everyone else is trying to destroy us.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
It seems to me that in light of the eleven lives that were lost in the initial stage of this disaster, wanting to shut things down long enough to ensure the safety of other workers is a sound, logical, and LEGAL thing to do. I think if most companies had an issue like this, OSHA would be all over it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I wonder if people would change their minds if a million people died from a methane fart this summer. Or maybe 5 million will be necessary. No? Okay, how about 10 million? No again? Okay, how about 20 million .. mostly babies and children then. What will it take? Hum? What? How many? Come on, someone pick a number and I will start praying for that tonight. Come on, pick a number and let me know.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

The Federal government of the United States can revoke the charter of any business at any time for any reason.

Typical Obama-speak.

No the Feds cannot. They need to follow the rules. Don't like it? Too bad so sad.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I am not against drilling per se, but it makes no sense to continue
with (deepwater) drilling until we have a way to safely do so and
prevent this type of thing from happening again.

And on a misc. note, the British are going to continue with their
deep water drilling as per the article here which I also posted
in one of my other threads:

"Britain to Continue Deepwater Drilling by Christopher Mackie|The Scotsman|Thursday, June 10, 2010.

"Britain will continue plans to open up new deepwater oil drilling operations off Shetland, despite the unfolding disaster caused by the BP disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, a UK energy minister has confirmed."

Source: bx.businessweek.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It seems to me that in light of the eleven lives that were lost in the initial stage of this disaster, wanting to shut things down long enough to ensure the safety of other workers is a sound, logical, and LEGAL thing to do. I think if most companies had an issue like this, OSHA would be all over it.

Were coal mines shut down when the tragedy occurred in Montcoal? Were the airlines shut down when the Airbus broke apart in NY?

Knee-jerk reactions are not the way to govern. It shows a lack of maturity and experience. But then, that is what we have come to expect of Obama.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I see that plenty of people on ATS do not give a damn about Louisiana or the people of Louisiana.

Your'e right I don't give a rats arse about Louisiana, but I sure as hell care about my state of Florida.

This ban only effects 33 deep water exploratory wells for cripes sake.

Morever how dumb do people have to be to not get this. The reason for shutting down these wells is not so much that they will explode like the Deep Water Horizon. The problem is (NOW PAY ATTENTION) that if it does, there is absolutely no way to contain it or possibly stop it.

Do you understand that?

Can you get through your thick skulls?

The amount of oil these rigs produce is zilch! they are exploratory wells not production wells.

Excuse we people of COMMON SENSE to temporarily shut down 33 wells that are not in production to make sure 1) they are meeting safety regs and 2) that if they do blow they have a plan THAT ACTUALLY F-ING WORKS.

HOW DO YOU ALL NOT GET THAT!

For God sakes stop listening to RIGHT WING CORPORATE SHILL MEDIA!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

What the hell is wrong with you?

The planet isn't going to release a methane cloud because its mad at humans. What about comets and asteroids that devastate the planet? Is Earth going to attack the Oort Cloud and the Asteroid Belt? What about the planet itself? The supervolcanoes are more destructive than anything humanity has ever done. Is the planet going to attack itself?

People who hate humanity and want it wiped from the face of the earth should lead by example and wipe themselves away first.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

The problem is, what if you shut them down only to find that they ARE operating safely? All you've done is cost them a load of money and possibly cost some jobs in the process. Look, I understand that its the oil industry and no one gives a sh**, but there's an underlying principle here. Again, you can't punish one person for someone else's mistakes or because you think they might be doing something wrong.

The government needs to make sure those rigs are operating safely, but they also need to do it in the most unobtrusive manner realistically possible. There are so many of those rigs in the Gulf that it would take months to do it, and in the meantime they would just be sitting idle and people would be losing money and, if the rigs move out of the country, jobs....all quite possibly for nothing.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
White House: Administration will appeal federal judge's ruling against new offshore drilling moratorium

No damn JOB is worth the risks any more. I'll even go so far to say not even my life is worth the risks any more.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
The problem is, what if you shut them down only to find that they ARE operating safely? All you've done is cost them a load of money and possibly cost some jobs in the process.

No the problem is if those wells suffer a failure we will have no way to contain the oil and possibly stop it from leaking.

The only reason why those wells are even allowed there is they assured the Federal Government that they could contain any disaster with minimal damage.

Well guess F-ing what...they can't and their response plan has been an utter failure.

So why the hell should we allow them to keep drilling risking our bloody ocean and our lively hood when all they oil from there is so tiny compared to everywhere else.

Why should we risk countless damage so BP can make mega bucs?

But more to the point , the only wells that were effected by this ban were 33 EXPLORATORY WELLS. Not production wells.

You know EXPLORATORY WELLS like the Deep Water Horizon that drilled into 1 mile deep of ocean and laid waste to an entire region.

But then again you would not know that because YOU LISTEN TO RIGHT WING MEDIA FOR ALL YOUR INFORMATION.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The goverment has several roles to play in this arena:

To regulate and monitor the wells for safety

To suck off their share of graft (taxes)

One part they do an excellent job at. Guess which one?

The other, they failed miserably at. What action did they take? Did they send cleanup and rescue crews? Nope - they sent a truck load of lawyers driven by Eric Holder. A-holes, all of them.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The planet isn't going to release a methane cloud because its mad at humans.

How do you know that? You don't know that. Call it what you want, call it "consequences" if you prefer. Call it an act of your god then. Whatever.

Tell me, have you ever slapped a mosquito that tried to drill into you and suck some of your blood out? You don't think the planet, mother nature, all that dead wildlife in the gulf, has a right to do the same to protect itself?

I don't really wish death upon humanity, I would rather they surrender to nature and stop attacking and trashing this planet and pushing every other species into extinction. Humans have become terrorists in the eyes of all the other life upon this planet, and they should be treated just as we would treat a terrorist. SLAP!

Nothing is worth the risks and all that dead life floating up on the shores and raining down to the bottom of the gulf. For someone to say "hey, it's all worth it, because I want my car to go zoom zoom fast" is wicked, evil, selfish, self-gratifying at the expense of TOO MUCH.

Humanity needs to learn a lesson, and I pray that whatever is necessary to teach them that lesson happens SOON. I have children, and grand children, and I want them to have a beautiful clean planet filled with the diversity of life I grew up with after I'm gone. I don't want them cursing us to hell for what our generation has done to them and their future because of what we're doing to this planet.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

If you'd come up for air for a second, I'd tell you that I'm actually leaning heavily towards the position of banning deepwater drilling because of the fact that the safety measures and ability of the industry to stop a disaster seem wholly inadequate.

However, I also think that its wrong to unduly convict the entire industry over the negligence of one member. The oil industry may be bastards, but the bastards should recieve a fair hearing and they shouldn't be convicted without a trial.

The Constitution, due process and the rule of law should matter even in a case like this.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
The goverment has several roles to play in this arena:

To regulate and monitor the wells for safety

To suck off their share of graft (taxes)

One part they do an excellent job at. Guess which one?

The other, they failed miserably at. What action did they take? Did they send cleanup and rescue crews? Nope - they sent a truck load of lawyers driven by Eric Holder. A-holes, all of them.

Yes those federal regulators were bought off and told to turn a blind eye BY A REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION who made it as a matter of policy to let the oil companies have what they want.

Moreover, since when is it the Federal Governments job to clean up an oil mess. Since you Conservatives are so high and mighty about corporate rights and States rights why have you not crucified BP.

Because CONTRACTUALLY BP is to pay and coordinate the ENTIRE clean up effort in case of a disaster. NOT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Since you guys have such a hard on for States Rights, then why are you not crucifying Bobby Jindal? It's his damn state, let him pay and clean for this mess.

Oh but in this case its a Federal problem and you need the GUBMENT to do everything right? Even when a State Fed Judge appointed by God Reagan decided to side with a corporation and their exploratory rigs instead of the land and people who live there.

You all are so full of it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Duplicate thread.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

This tragedy occurred because a liberal administration in bed with BP didn't do their jobs. They didn't want to risk campaign contributions (Obama got $1million from BP). That rig had so many technical problems it wasn't funny, and yet Obama let it operate.

Blame Obama. It took him 60 days to speak with BP. Meanwhile, Obama golfed while the Gulf burned.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by mishigas]

[edit on 22-6-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

How do you know the planet gives a crap about what we do?

Earth is bombarded by asteroids and comets, affected by ice ages, supervolcanoes, and other megadisasters.

Humans don't have squat on them. We could detonate every nuclear weapon on earth at the same time and we couldn't produce the same amount of destructive energy that has been released in the past by numerous megadisasters.

We are insignificant dust mites compared to the hell that has been unleashed on the earth from space or by the earth itself in the past.

[edit on 22/6/10 by MikeboydUS]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join