It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama ban on deepwater drilling overturned

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AP-Chris

Yep. But the 50,000 jobs was probably a strong argument.

Atlantis

Wonder if this can go higher or be overridden? Is it over?

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Judge Feldman is a Honorary Master of the Bench of the Inner Temple Inn of Court, London.

www.aaas.org...

The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple, commonly known as Inner Temple, is one of the four Inns of Court (professional associations for barristers and judges) in London. To be called to the Bar and practise as a barrister in England and Wales, an individual must belong to one of these Inns. It is located in the wider Temple area of the capital, near the Royal Courts of Justice, and within the City of London.

The Inn is a professional body for many barristers which provides legal training, selection and regulation. It is ruled by a governing council called "Parliament", made up of the Masters of the Bench (or "Benchers"), and led by the Treasurer, who is elected to serve a one-year term. The Temple takes its name from the Knights Templar, who originally leased the land to the inhabitants of the Temple (or Templars) until their abolition in 1312. The Inner Temple was certainly a distinct society from at least 1388, although as with all the Inns of Court their precise date of founding is not known. After a disruptive early period (during which the Temple was almost entirely destroyed in the Peasant's Revolt) it flourished, becoming the second largest Inn during the Elizabethan period (after Gray's Inn).

en.wikipedia.org...

So we have a regular Knights Templar protecting B.P. Crazy right.

The Temple Church is jointly administered and maintained by the Inner Temple and Middle Temple and enjoys the status of a "Royal Peculiar" (a place of worship that falls directly under the jurisdiction of the British monarch, rather than a diocese).

www.innertemple.org.uk...

So do we have a judge with connections to british government?

[edit on 22-6-2010 by JBA2848]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AllexxisF1

Yes those federal regulators were bought off and told to turn a blind eye BY A REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION who made it as a matter of policy to let the oil companies have what they want.

Oh please. "bought off and told to turn a blind eye" Oh the drama.

Moreover, since when is it the Federal Governments job to clean up an oil mess. Since you Conservatives are so high and mighty about corporate rights and States rights why have you not crucified BP.

The Gulf is being destroyed and all you want to say is "It's not my job"? It's everybody's job!

Since you guys have such a hard on for States Rights, then why are you not crucifying Bobby Jindal? It's his damn state, let him pay and clean for this mess.

That's another point. Jindahl was blocked from getting the supplies and manpower he needed to save the coastline. Because Obama wants to save those jobs for his union cronies.

Libs are so corrupt that they cannot even see how dark their souls are. Shame on you.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

According to Wikipedia I think you might have the wrong Martin Feldman...

Wiki for Martin Feldman of LA.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

He isn't protecting BP.

He is protecting Louisiana. He is protecting the 8,000 plus employees working on those rigs and the 48,000 plus workers who support those rigs.
He is protecting the American oil companies who are being unfairly punished for the stupid mistakes of a foreign oil company.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Nope the same one.

Judge Feldman graduated from Tulane Law School in 1957, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif, and Assistant Editor of the Tulane Law Review. Upon graduation in 1957, Judge Feldman became Judge John Minor Wisdom's first law clerk when Judge Wisdom was appointed United States Circuit Judge. Judge Feldman served as Judge Wisdom's law clerk in the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals from 1957 to 1959 and, thereafter, practiced law in New Orleans until October of 1983. His practice emphasized tax law and complex commercial litigation. He is a past chairman of the Law Reform Committee of the Louisiana State Bar Association, and a founding member of the Section on Anti‑Trust Law. Judge Feldman is also a Life Member of the American Law Institute

On October 12, 1983 he was appointed United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana by President Reagan, and presently serves as the Chairman of the Fifth Circuit's Committee on Pattern Civil Jury Instructions. Judge Feldman was a member of the Board of Directors of the Federal Judicial Center (1991-1995), and was Chair of the National Conference of Federal Trial Judges (1996-1997). He is a visiting lecturer at Cambridge University, and an Honorary Master of the Bench of the Inner Temple Inn of Court, London. Judge Feldman is a member of the Advisory Committee of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, is Chair of the Board of Advisory Editors of the Tulane Law Review, and was the Fifth Circuit district judge representative on the Judicial Conference of the United States for the 2001-2004 term. From 1994 to 2000 he was a lecturer in Constitutional Law and war powers at Syracuse University's Maxwell School of Public Administration. During the Fall of 2002, he was Princeton University's Distinguished Visiting Jurist in the James Madison Program of American Ideals and Institutions. He is a frequent James Madison lecturer at Princeton University and has been a guest lecturer at Amherst College in constitutional interpretation and the philosophy of the Rule of Law.

www.aaas.org...

From above.

and an Honorary Master of the Bench of the Inner Temple Inn of Court, London.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Could always put all of the oil industry "folks" with no work during the ban to work cleaning up the oil!

Interesting lesson could be taught about cutting corners and they could still draw a paycheck from BP all the while.

Better yet, require the Execs be out there with them.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Ah! Well then I don't mind at all saying that I do stand corrected. Thank you very much for teaching me a bit in spite of myself!

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I am just sick of these corporate morons I am just so sick and tired of this bull #, they make our lives hell and kill our families. They make us all suffer so they can gain and I am just tired of it.

This is what the government gets for sleeping with the enemy. Our government has let the corporations run them for so long that when they have a disagreement, the corporations will turn their backs on government in an instant and run right over them.

In a way, it's satisfying to see government being screwed by corporations. It lets the government know just how little power they have when up against the big companies.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Many years ago, when I worked at the local Nuclear Power Plant, there was an accident. One of the main steam lines was being transferred form Construction to Power Production. Part of that process is a pressurized test of the system. They started up the pumps and raised it to 120% rated capacity for the test.

Unbeknown to those running the test, a worker had noticed a problem with one of the main valves and was replacing it with a new one. Either someone forgot to tag the line for the test, or he ignored the tag; either way, a 6-foot high-pressure valve designed for 48" schedule 120 pipe was replaced with a 6-foot section of 48" schedule 10 pipe.

There were two people in that room when the pressure was applied. One later said he heard the noise form the system being pressurized and turned around just in time to see the spool blowing up like a huge steel balloon... before it exploded.

Luckily, no one died. One guy was deaf for about a month, and the other I heard had ruptured his eardrums and would never hear again.

That was an accident due to negligence. The NRC came in and did a thorough investigation, stopping all tests until their investigation was concluded. What they did not do was to stop energy production in any other plant; why should they?

That story applies here as well. If the administration wants to place a moratorium on BP while an investigation is underway, then that would be one thing. But to try and stop all oil production in the Gulf? No, that is simply silly. It accomplishes nothing, and in the process of accomplishing nothing causes oil prices to rise and places workers out of work leading to more unemployment (just what the Gulf coast needs right now
) and a further devastated economy.

Not one animal would be saved; not one person would benefit; not one drop of oil would be removed by this.

Those who are crying foul to this overrulement are simply responding in a knee-jerk reaction to perceived horrors. That overreaction is based on ignorance of what has really happened. I remind everyone fo the motto of ATS:

Deny Ignorance!

The real challenge is to stop the leak (if possible), clean up the mess (as much as we can) and make sure that no one else acts in as irresponsible a manner as BP has. Destroying more lives and making those already hurting hurt more is not in my list of priorities on this. Sorry.

Oh, and I don't watch FOX News either...

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
So how deeply connected to the oil industry is this judge?

I read a report recently that something like 40% of the judges in this area owned oil stocks or were otherwise connected directly to the oil industry.

I smell corruption and conflict of interest here.

Big time!

Does judge own oil stock? Feldman's financial disclosure report for 2008, the most recent available, shows holdings in at least eight petroleum companies or companies that invest in them, including Transocean Ltd., which owned the Deepwater Horizon. The report shows that most of his holdings were valued at less than $15,000, though it did not provide specific amounts.

It's not clear whether Feldman still has all of the energy industry stock listed in the report. Recent court filings indicate he may no longer have Transocean shares. He did not own any shares in big companies such as BP PLC, which was leasing the rig that exploded, or ExxonMobil.

Feldman did not immediately respond to a request for comment about his current holdings.

Ruling impact June 22: NBC's Pete Williams has the details on the drilling decision. msnbc tv Josh Reichert, managing director of the Pew Environment Group, said his ruling should be rescinded if he still has investments in companies that could benefit from Tuesday's ruling.

"If Judge Feldman has any investments in oil and gas operators in the Gulf, it represents a flagrant conflict of interest," he said. "It is possible that he has sold off those assets. We just don't know."

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

who cares about his british connections. the ruling allows American's to go back to work. Mind you, we have an unemployment rate of 10% right now. Not allowing American's who are willing and able to work because of politics is as treasonous as it gets right now.

Obama is a moron. A complete and utter moron. His decision making is so bad, that i cannot believe that he is doing it on accident.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have never seen

Talking out of both sides of your mouth

to this degree. Ever. And hope I never do again.

Congratulations Louisiana, may you forever cherish this award, because you have earned it well.

[edit on 6/22/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Don't pin this on Louisianna alone (although, with their Katrina response i am convinced that they are a "weakest link" type of state).

The judge, as mentioned above, has some dealings that are shady. He is tied to britain via a club membership, as well as possible investment in petro.

But Obama is no better. He is trying to stop drilling here in anything deeper than 500', yet is willing to give 2 billion to a Brazillian company (that turned 15 billion in profit last year) for a drilling operation at 15k feet.

Obama is making a purely political move. The real kicker, however, is that Obama employs the brother of an executive fro that Brazillian oil company, and George Soros is a major investor.

The whole thing stinks. Not only that we have this disaster right in my back yard, but that all our "leaders" are tripping over themselves trying to make some quick money for themselves and those that have given them their power.

If you ever needed more proof that Washington is a roach infested cesspool (or a corpse filled with maggots, take your pick), then there it is. Almost poll time....time to break out the Raid.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Were the airlines shut down when the Airbus broke apart in NY?

Here ya go Sherlock: (Similar current situation)

American Airlines inspecting 767s after crack seen

American Airlines is inspecting 56 of its Boeing 767 jets after cracks were detected on at least two planes.

news.yahoo.com...

Oh and does the Concord ring any bells fer ya?

I was for the temp ban as a means to recertify and perform safety checks for existing rigs. It is PRUDENT. But the ignorant Drill Baby Drill climate change deniers can't face facts and simply admit their mindset is misguided.

There are many other industries that would be crippled by another accident so why does big oil get special treatment? Put the workers and support companies to work cleaning up this mess and send the bill to BP.

BTW, the judge owns Transocean stock. Can you say conflict of interest?

Feldman's financial disclosure report for 2008, the most recent available, shows holdings in at least eight petroleum companies or companies that invest in them, including Transocean Ltd., which owned the Deepwater Horizon.

news.yahoo.com...

BP = Beholden to Profit.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

If you ever needed more proof that Washington is a roach infested cesspool (or a corpse filled with maggots, take your pick), then there it is.

I am surprised at you BFFT... putting down cesspools and maggot-ridden corpses like that!

To be honest, this is apparently just a poor;y-executed attempt by Obama to take advantage of one of Bush's popularity rises and avoid one of his popularity pitfalls. After 911, Bush's popularity skyrocketed; in the wake of Katrina, his popularity plummeted. Obama's approval rating right now is lower than the Deepwater oil well, and he desperately needs to raise it before November to try and continue his reign unimpeded by any dissension. So he's trying to take the hard-line stance that he saw Bush take after 911, and not wait helplessly by like Bush did after Katrina.

The problem is that Obama simply does not understand what happened during those two periods. It wasn't his hard-line attitude after 911 that helped Bush; it was his apparently genuine concern and desire to do something productive to help. (Mind you, I am speaking of public perception here, not actual concern.) In contrast, after Katrina, he did not appear to be as concerned, acting almost as if there was no rush to help dying people.

This move is not productive; it is not going to help anyone. It is only going to make things much much worse if it goes through. The really sad thing is that I can easily imagine Obama sitting in the Oval Office going "but I tried to do something; what happened?"

He just doesn't get it, and I doubt he ever will. Even those of us who at one time held out hope for an Obama administration are realizing that is the ultimate pipe dream. Perhaps he will get it after he actually has to talk to those who disagree with him starting next year, instead of thinking he is some sort of royalty.

If we can just survive till then...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

That is one company, American Airlines.

I'm all for BP, one company, having its operations shut down, hell I would like to see them expelled from operating in the United States.

Punishing the entire oil industry though is unjustified and unfair.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511
It appears common sense and calmer heads have finally prevailed.
Obama just stopped the drilling just to push one of his political agendas anyway.
It’s funny when he loans Brazil 2 billion dollars to extend their drilling but he wants to stop ours…..

It may be Obama has an agenda.. But still this ban is a good thing if it does ensure the safety of other rigs and the people operating them.. don't you think?

What about their lives? There are already talk of Atlantis and other rigs being unsafe.. How would you feel if now that the ban is lifted one of these rigs goes Boom and kills many more people?

Are you in favor of these people dying? Sounds like it to me.

This is not being done to punish any oil company. This is about safety. All you people who cannot see that logic must be hired by BP.

If I worked in an industry that was so dangerous and the Gov wanted to shut down business for a while to make sure conditions were safe, I might have a hard 6 months, but when it was over, I would be greatful for the safety checks.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AP-Chris

What exactly is MMS? People keep using abreviations ASSUMING that everyone knows what they are thinking. Is that not against the T&C? If not it should be.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The threats of moving rigs by oil companies is just that, threats.

Where are they moving too? If there is another resovoir, isn't there already a claim on it?
If they have to drill a a mile deep in the first place, I am sure there are not dozens of places sitting around waiting to be drilled.

How easy is it to move a rig? Probably takes the same amount of time that the moratorium is. So will they go to the extreme expense of moving a rig to have the ban lifted a week later?

Anyone who falls for it, should go back to second grade.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join