It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prove to Me that New Country Doesn't Suck.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I like old Country music.

Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Willie Nelson, etc.

I haven't heard a Country song made in the past 25 years or so that I've liked and I'm beginning to think there's a reason for that: It all sucks.

But I'm an open-minded gentleman who is willing to admit if and when he's wrong, so go for it. Prove me wrong. Prove to me that there's modern Country music out there worth my time and possibly my money.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I certainly can't prove it because I agree with you. When I hear a modern country music song I just can't relate it to anything country (i'm a country girl). Glitter and bling bling just doesn't cut for me - leave that for pop or rock music - it has nothing to do with the way country folks live.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
You're right, today's "Country" is more like pop or soft rock. Just add a steel guitar and an occasional YEE HA and there you go.

It's CRAP, all of it.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Who said it didn't suck???

Though, like most music, I'm sure if you look past the mainstream, and into some of the lesser known bands/artist. You can probably find some decent music

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nick_napalm

Great. Now all I can hear in my head is "GRANDMA.....WELCOME HOME..."

Onto topic, there are still some bands out there that play country or close enough to country music that have kept true to it. A lot of current rock music tends to draw influence directly from "golden age" country.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
It doesn't suck, you just have to find the good stuff.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Lol, that's what I'm here for!!!

I wish I could contribute more, but I don't really listen to any country...

so instead I'll leave you with some decent modern folk music!!!

[edit on 22-6-2010 by nick_napalm]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't know about how good country music sounds today. If you ask me, it sucks something that I am not saying. However, there are some songs out there that are just the opposite.

Can forget Clint Black with his 1994 hit, 'Summer's Comin' can we.

Poor Howie Mandell :shk::shk::shk:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think the term "Country" is really a misnomer these days...as there are so many varieties... Some sounds more like pop, some sounds like 50's rock, etc. I'm still no big country music fan, but there are some that I'll listen to...just not my thing.

There are still some that sound like the artists the OP mentions, but fewer these days, not as commercially successful probably....

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

I was about to say that George Strait and especially this song don't suck. Besides a few of Garth Brook's stuff I've never liked country but I love Run.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Okay, the George Strait song ain't bad.

But I still think he and most of his contemporaries fall under the category that Signals so eloquently outlined:

Originally posted by Signals
today's "Country" is more like pop or soft rock. Just add a steel guitar and an occasional YEE HA and there you go.

If you take away the southern drawl, what you're left with is easy-listening music.

Which brings us to...

Originally posted by nick_napalm
Though, like most music, I'm sure if you look past the mainstream, and into some of the lesser known bands/artist. You can probably find some decent music

nick_napalm's excellent point.

Is there a Country Music "Underground?" That's what I was kind of getting at with the OP.

I don't entirely hate the new, mainstream stuff; I know there's some out there worth a good listen or two.

But are there Country bands out there that are bucking the Nashville cookie-cutter-music regime and taking the genre in new and interesting directions, rather than profiting from its stagnation?

In any case, thank you all for the excellent insight and feedback and the videos too.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
For me the only new guy that really measures up is Jamey Johnson. His Lonesome Song album was pretty good overall. Give it a listen and see what you think.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I like these chicks!

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 23-6-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I like these chicks!

I gotta say...

I do too...