It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

heckling the queen at un

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It seems that you indeed have no respect for anything really. You feel you are free to insult and denigrate the symbols of another country, that is not your own. But that OK because you have no respect for your own country either. So I guess you figure it balances out.

Seriously. It's americans like you that give the rest a bad name. Disrespectful, self righteous and self hating belligerent idiots.

Again All of you americans here. Answer me this. Under what right do you claim the freedom to insult the head of state of another country.

I want a freaking answer. And especially to the OP. Answer you own question? do you think it is right to heckle the head of state of another country? and if so, why do you think it is right. What is the reason that this though has come in to your brain?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Its called freedom of speech for those who belive all mankind are equal!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

whatever happened to mutual respect?

Free speech is one think, but throwing insults at a countries head of state based on perception is ignorance.

Regardless of the issues our two islands have had do you see us have a crack at the Taoiseach whenever we turns up over here.

[edit on 20/6/2010 by JakiusFogg]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

So tell me this why do you bow to any man or woman? do you feel inferior?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Not at all, if I did ever bow it would be out of respect. It is exactly the same as saluting someone, curtseying, removing one's hat or taking off your shoes. You have some serious logic issues to leap to the conclusion that because I might show respect to someone, I am therefore of the belief I am inferior.

For the record, I have met one or two Royals in my time and never once bowed. I shook hands with them. The only time you will ever see anyone bowing to a Royal is during an official engagement, such as receiving an honour for example, merely because it is customary.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I would just say how's it going lis

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

They have the right to think and say what they wish, especially in their own country....what get's me is, why do they want to?

What is it about the ruling monarch of the UK that get's some American's so uptight?
She has absolutely no effect and bearing on their lives.

The President Of The United States makes decisions everyday which effects every single person the world to varying degrees.

Liz has no effect on anyone.

Yes, they are an anachronism.
But they are only there for show.
Like one's best bone china tea set.
And they provide us a link to our past and a rallying point when times are hard.

If they ever tried to re-assert any sort of authority over us I would take up arms against them!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

What most "anti-monarchy" Americans don't realise is that their President has far more executive power than our Queen has ever had, or any monrach has had since the 17th century!

Yes, he might be "elected", but not directly, often with controversy and usually only by a 51-49% split, so hardly representative either.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
If they ever tried to re-assert any sort of authority over us I would take up arms against them!

I am not so sure about that...

When Brown was really buggering the country up, the BBC message boards were full of support for Her Maj to dissolve Parliament and kick him out.

It depends on the circumstances but I would probably support the Royals over the self-serving cretins that inhabit the Palace of Westminster.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Im going to pitch in here

It seems to me that this thread promotes one thing - disrespect. For those who do not recognise it I will draw your attention to one of the conditions of this board alone

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

That rule is in place on this board to discourage behaviour of this type in this community - why? because it is a common standard of decency we should all expect to accorded with.

Heckling the Queen on a state visit to my mind would cross the line of common decency. If I expect to be treated in a respectful manner on an internet board - shouldn't my Sovereign be accorded the same respect in the same way in public?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree in part with what you say. I just do not understand their need for this though.

OK they may have the right to do whatever they want in their own country. but common courtesy, respect, moral fortitude, and the knowledge of the difference between right and wrong, would suggest that they keep their gobs shut.

The granting of rights to people to be able to do something is a form of trust given by the state to it's people, in the knowledge that they, the people, have the intelligence to know when you use the said right. Just because they have the right, does not mean it can be exercised willy nilly. Maybe it is for this reason we hear here in ATS constantly about the erosion of liberties and citizen rights. maybe this is because the government is seeing that people no longer possess the intelligence to use the rights correctly, so should best be taken away.

Rights we have now are are privilege based on proven worth and hard fought petitioning by those gone before, but now nothing but abused and squandered.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by Freeborn

It depends on the circumstances but I would probably support the Royals over the self-serving cretins that inhabit the Palace of Westminster.

Surely the Royals are also self serving cretins as you put it. At least the politicians are elected and accountable and face public scrutiny.

as you seem to be the expert on these matters Stu. How much land do the Royal Family own? How much do they cost the taxpayer? what is so outstanding about this family compared with other British families?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

What is it for you, that the queen has done in the last 50+ years of service to her office and the people of the UK, that you find so objectionable?

As you keep referring to, I think it just come down to the fact that she lives in opulence, Where as you the average Joe in you leafy English hamlet, are forced to scratch out the meagre existence of a mere serf??

Please provide some evidence on the cost to the British taxpayer, that presence of HRM inflicts. Or is it just based on conjecture and inference.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Unfortunately stu I think we'd be opposing sides in the highly unlikely event that it ever becomes an issue again.

Rather than having a repeat of the Brown affair that may require the monarchs intervention and the possible constitutional issues that could arise from that, I would much prefer to see the electoral and parliamentary reforms needed to provide a more representative, accountable and democratic form of governement and maintain the constitutional monarchy we have at present.

As proud an Englishman and Britain that I am no-one has a birth right to govern me.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well lets say Pol pot or Stalin or Hitler or any other despot yea can think of who were heads of state came to a uni near you, would you say they should be shown the same respect just because they are heads of state?

[edit on 20-6-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
im in the uk.....if someone is gna heckle her please throw her a punch for me :-)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yes. you don't have to be friendly. Just courteous. Do you know why?

Because you are paying respect to the office, not the person.

And why a uni??? we're not all students on here you know!!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JakiusFogg

Yes. you don't have to be friendly. Just courteous. Do you know why?

Because you are paying respect to the office, not the person.

And why a uni??? we're not all students on here you know!!

Because the thread is based on whether its uncool to heckle that Woman with a Crown at a "uni" speech in the USA! "what" "what"

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Because the thread is based on whether its uncool to heckle that Woman with a Crown at a "uni" speech in the USA! "what" "what"

Don't remember there being anything about a university being mentioned here.

The OP

heckling the queen at un is it wrong to heckle the "queen" when she makes her trip to new york. i know its not against any american laws.

So that to me is the UN, in New York

backed up after a short search returns this

New York - UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Monday welcomed the planned visit by Queen Elizabeth and her address to the UN General Assembly in New York in July. Queen Elizabeth, accompanied by husband Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, are to visit UN headquarters on July 6. The queen will be visiting Canada from June 28 to July 6 and will arrive in the Big Apple on the same day.

So "un" in the title means United Nations. Not University.

You sir, I believe are just trolling.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I am a little confused. Does someone want to heckle her? Or has she been heckled?

My personal belief is that you heckle your own politicians on your own time. Not at official functions, or visitations.

I do not see where the Queen has offended us.

Do I agree with a family sitting on such wealthy while many of their citizens don't, no. But that is not for me to decide.

If the UK loves their Queen, and doesn't mind her station, then I will give that the full respect it deserves. If they change thier mind, and toss them out. I support that too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join