It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

heckling the queen at un

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Nixie,

the OP was a general question (in poor English) about whether it was OK to heckle the Queen on her official visit to address the UN General Assembly in July.

I suspect due to the BP issue in the gulf. which is an idiotic link but anyway.

Apparently the general concencus amongst the yanks here so far is.

YES.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Makes no difference un or uni imo! and dont call me sir an i dont troll ether iv got a right to contribute to this thread as anyone else

[edit on 20-6-2010 by DCDAVECLARKE]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

You also have to realize you are on a conspiracy site with people who don't think along popular lines. Basically the opinions listed on this site usually don't meet the mainstream eye to eye.

I can assure that for all the people here who would want to heckle the Queen, there are just as many, if not more, who would give her a grand welcome.

I mean, we can't be doing too badly because she seems to be making a lot of trips here lately. ;P

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I know exactly where I am Nixie,

And people thinking along non populist lines is one thing. But this. no this is something else. and it all stems from the same source.

otherwise why is there so much anti British sentiment going around this site at the moment. What did Britain do to the US, apart from support the US in pretty much everything in the last 70 years at least.

Really I don't get it.

So any way what do you think, in response to the OP

is it OK to heckle the Queen.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As far as regards as capabilities of heckling. This is one of those odd situations where I get stuck sitting on a fence.

Free speech tells me that I have every right to heckle any politiciain, figurehead, etc that warrants it. They have pretty thick skins, and they should expect it.

But politeness and maturity tells me that you shouldn't. So what do you do, conform to society's expectations or show a politician that your unhappy and use your FOS.

Maybe that is why letter writing to Congressmen is so popular. You can express your opinions, but in a manner that is acceptable and not humiliating.

So if people have issue with the Queen, behave in public, and send a note.

There, I solved it. *laughs*

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Americans do not care for royalty. That's probably the biggest reason we exist is because of the Monarchy in England that doomed most of the citizens (or in their day, peasants) to be second class while simply being born to the right circumstances gave you a life of luxury. The royal family is an outdated disgrace that glorifies an oppressive time and way of life.

That pretty much says it all.
Good post. Starred.

link   
reply to post by DCDAVECLARKE

yes you do that is quite correct as long as it is within the limits of the T&C.

1 line posting, in ignorance of the facts presented in a discussion with a response that can only illicit a reactionary response. it .. trolling.

Sorry, sir.

link   
It is truly a sad day when due respect cannot be given. Perhaps we should have doused the 737 bearing the US presidential seal with whitewash when it visited Northolt last weekend on behalf of the soldiers dying in a war invented by a former president.

or maybe the liverpool fan burning the US flag did the right thing ?

Respect is taught at an early age here in the UK - you carp about some ignorant scouser burning something made in China with some coloured stars on it yet you defend disrespect of a ruling monarch (right or wrong but she is) that some of us have taken an oath to protect.

Sometimes the behaviour on this site is beyond defence - you know the motto "dont tread on me" well don't raise the hackles on a British patriot

Believe you me the Lions can roar when pushed too far

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You mean the Grenadiers?

Who ware Bearskins.

A tradition stemming from the 17th century.

Who have the honour and the discipline to stand guard, whilst ignoring snap happy tourists so that they can maintain security at the Royal palace.

Just to be pedantic for a moment and only because the real story of the bearskin hats is more interesting and more important.

They actually date from the early 19th century. 1815 to be exact and the Battle of Waterloo, when the British Grenadiers overcame Napoleons Grande Armee, who would wear those hats in battle. To celebrate the beating of France and the Special Forces like Grande Armee, King George allowed the guards to wear them.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Judge not the messenger but the message.

If the message is filled with hope and espacially solutions, then she should be honoured, influential Queen or newly spotlighted pauper.

But if it is filled with hatred and animosity, then screw her to hell, regardless if she is the self proclaimed Queen of the Universe of simply a village idiot!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Would you really classify heckling as covered under freedom of speech.

Maybe it is, but for those incapable of constructing a valid counter argument, speech, statement etc.

To be honest I do not know if I agree that the act of heckling can actually be called freedom of speech. if anything it's harassment.

but I also know that trying to confront figureheads in one on one debate is near impossible. so what do you do.

if anything I think this would have to come under right of protest. But as for hurling insults as a figure head, under the guise of F.O.S. hmmmmm for me it doesn't hold true.

I agree maybe writing a letter, is the best way forward,.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Silk

Fully agree, well done.

I heard an American Comic who once said in his set.

If you step on the toes of an Englishman, He will say Sorry,
If you step on them a second time, he will say sorry and move away.
Do it a third time and you better run, as your in for a pasting.

I'm only commenting on the English temperament. And personally after seeing all this stuff here in this and other threads today. I just said sorry and moved away.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Ha! Trust me, if what was spoken is filled with hatred and venom, no American worth his salt will sit down and pen a sweet letter of objection to the speaker.

Even the Arabs are not that patient despite their original tutelage of religion. They will not hesitate to hurl their shoes with immediate action.

Be thankful freedom loving Americans are a lot more civilised, and will resort to mouthed heckling, but only if crap was thrown by the messenger.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I haven't seen very much of the anti-British thing that your talking about, but I screen threads and don't read very many.

As I said on another thread about this concern, in real life, off ATS, I have not heard one single itty bitty sentiment that is anti-British what-so-ever.
So why it is on this thread, I have no idea and couldn't tell you.

And I live outside DC, I am in politics central where the heat is up high.

I am sorry if you guys feel that way.

The only thing I can guess is that things are just so turmultuous right now. There is so much going on in the world right now and it is hard on the psyche. I think everyone is feeling nervous, susceptible and vulnerable. What happens when you get a bunch of nervous people in a room? A fight is bound to breakout.

It is not fair to pick on someone else's faults. Either on an individual level or international. And human nature is too stereotype.

I understand where your coming from. But Americans have been getting a lot of heat on these boards lately.

In fact, a person whom I thought was a good friend of mine in the UK landblasted Americans. It was hurtful and dissappointing. But I will not extend that to other British.

But not everyone thinks like me. And I can't force them.All I can do is tell you that in my neck of the woods, no such thing is going on.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Well that a good to hear. and you seem like reasonable person. i think you deserve to be tagged for that.

(not poilce tagged, i mean ats freind button tagged.)

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

That was a long time ago. It is also that same arrangement that caused the Revolution and created teh country that we have today. But, it has been a long time, we are now a happily established country, to hold a resentment for so long is just silly.

Many,many countries have royalty. We wouldn't heckle their dignitaries if they came. Just because we had a bad relationship 300 years ago doesn't mean that a certain Monarch is an exception.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Here are some English people heckling Royalty... Is this being disrespectful

Forward to 2.30 in this vid

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
She's just a symbol to our past, is good for ambassador roles and attracts tourism. I wouldnt heckle any woman in her 70's, she was born into that role she never chose it, she's blessed with wealth but i honestly wouldnt trade my life for hers for all the money in the world, a gold fish bowl where your every movement is in the public eye and duty over rides every other aspect of your life even your children and grandchildren will suffer the same fate.

America has its royalty, Mega rich families with enough influence to decide who gets into power or not and with inherited wealth just like the queen wouldnt suprise me if many are related to the queen anyway.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You are indeed a gentleman. But its a sad day when we can see threads upon threads defending a flag but we are to be doused for defending the ideal and position that is monarch of a sovereign nation - not some republic.

Perhaps some might need reminding - we toyed with a republic - even cut off a kings head - then reverted to Monarcy.

ETA Spelling

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Silk]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I believe it is but I was obviously brought up differently than some.

Lets face it this is a BP thread and some people cannot understand how the UK system works.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join