It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian community torn apart by 'honour killings'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Indian community torn apart by 'honour killings'

news.bbc.co.uk

Umesh Kumar and his wife Satvati Devi were woken in the middle of the night by loud cries coming from the neighbouring house.

"She was crying loudly. She was pleading, 'Kill me, but please don't hurt him.' She loved him and they wanted to get married," Ms Devi tells me.

Two days after teenage lovers Asha and Yogesh were brutally killed, Swaroop Nagar colony on the north-western outskirts of the Indian capital, Delhi, is still trying to come to terms with the tragedy.

Asha's family was opposed
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-6-2010 by illusive man]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

In traditional Indian societies, women are often regarded as family property. Marriages are carefully arranged by parents and elders and relationships outside of caste are frowned upon.

not much i can say but
damn, killed just because one is a lower class then the other,
would have thought India had passed the phase of grouping people into classes

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This goes beyond grouping people into classes. The thought that women could be considered as family property in itself is enough to show that the community has some behavioral problems of its own. Even worse those who did the killings just might get away unpunished.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
what really got me was that she was crying "dont hurt him,kill me but dont hurt him".

now THATS true love right there!

why cant i find a nice american women that will love me that much?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is why Religion is asinine.

I rest my case.

I would consider moving to a country that outlaws religion.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by MrSmith]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Karma? Love? Nah! Stupidity among the ignorant humans.

So where is the `honor loving`? It's already the year of 2010, for crying out loud!

Are people going to ask forgiveness of the dead after killing in honor?

Why not celebrate `honor` among the living with love instead among the dead zombies with hatred?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

This is really sad, I read in the news report they tortured the boy and the girl for 2-3 hrs and killed them by giving electric shocks. Thing missing from here is the neighbors on hearing the scream tried to intervene but were threatened and sent away by the house owner. After sometime the screams stopped coming from the house then in morning there was bad smell emanating from house upon which the neighbors called the cops. What's more is the guy was having dinner when he got phone call from the girls mom to talk about their relationship and he left his food in middle and went to the girls house in hope that there will be reconciliation.

I am sure the Indian government and police will take strong steps against this. Since this was a premeditated double murder there are positive inclinations that the culprits will receive death sentences.

There is lot of immigration going on in Delhi, where people from poor rural areas come to Delhi to work carrying with them their beliefs. This is not tolerated in mainstream India. I'm an half Indian that's how I know soo much about this.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Forgot to add:

In the morning when the smell was emanating from the house, the house was locked from outside and there was no sign of the house owners. The cops are already looking out for them.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
this is a sad part of india
however the article is incredibly flawed

Parents do not decide who the daughter marries and in traditional indian societies women are not treated as property.

Too many flaws in the article

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSmith

I rest my case.

I would consider moving to a country to outlaws religion.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by MrSmith]

This is class,
not religion , where you got religion from i would like to know

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
this is a sad part of india
however the article is incredibly flawed

Parents do not decide who the daughter marries and in traditional indian societies women are not treated as property.

Too many flaws in the article

i disagree, in some parts its how they work

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
This is class,
not religion , where you got religion from i would like to know

Correct
Class comes from the manu smriti not the Bhagavad Gita or the Vedas
The Bhagavad Gita even says "one cannot be born a Brahman"
Brahman means teacher, one has to practice brahamanism to be brahman

The goal of the Caste system is an attempt at an organized form of an economic system, where a person of this last name has this profession and a person that last name does that.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusive man
i disagree, in some parts its how they work

No the parents don't decide generally
here's how it works

Psychologists today say that a successful marriage is not based on love but compatibility. India knew this for a long time now, but many have forgotten.

That part is undebatable.

What is debatable however is how they define compatibility.

Parents take a girl's "Janam Patri" or "Kundli" which is one's life's horoscope kind of.
They go to a Pandit(hindu priest) and he checks the Kundlis belonging to both parties. They check longitude and latitude and time of birthplace and other things. If they match the Pandit decides they can marry.

So it is not the parents who decide, it is usually a Pandit.
Not only does he decide who should marry he decides when too, as in when is the most auspicious day.

So the decision making process is largely in the hands of pandits not parents.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
How sad.

I can't even begin to comprehend how someone could do that to another person, especially their own child.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

ah, yes they do and yes they are. this sort of thing is very common in india and pakistan in rural areas. your general knowledge is extremely limited.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

i just read the article and am happy to be called a racist if you like - that mindset is primitive and psychotic. their society is living in the middle ages and needs to step into the modern era where women are not treated like less than dirt.

'if he wanted to kill his daughter, that's okay.'...

killing your daughter because she fell in love and torturing her to death.

are you people on this forum ok with this?

or are you all so brainwashed by political correctness that you think they should be 'allowed to practice their religion' or

lacking in general knowledg ethat you deny the facts - i.e. that this sort of thing is EXTREMELY widespread.

americans and westerns dont know their alive and assume that values in other countries are the same as in theirs. they are NOT the same.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSmith
I rest my case.

+1.

The problem is that religion and its dogma have trickled down through all levels of culture, laws and other social 'norms'.

The zealots have control.

At least while they're busy taking each other out, they're kind of leaving me alone. Sort of.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The only reason that arranged marriages exist is to keep money in the freaking family. I am totally against arranged marriages, especially when the woman hasn't seen the man and vice versa.

One of my best friends went through this. He was a muslim and was gonna marry another muslim girl but she was of a different town/or sect or something stupid. Mind you this guy is a doctor, nicest guy in the world, used to drive 40 miles ever day after classes to see her, didnt do a damn thing to hurt her. Her family used to say that "he is probably fooling around with other girls", "he came from a bad family", "he is this part of religion....blah blah blah"

The couldn't open their minds for half a second and see that they actually loved each other, made a good couple, he was gonna be financially well off, the were both physically attracted to each other. Every single thing worked but her damn closed minded narrow idiotic parents. My friend's fiance's sister used to call my friend with threatning phone calls.

I told him that he shoulda let me know and I woulda handled the situation because Indian/Pakistani folks dont have balls, all they do is talk. But we werent good friends at the time. They even came to the hotel my friend and fiance were at in their little paki wannabe gang and harrased my friend went through his wallet, grabbed his neck. I was so pissed off when I heard the story, I wanted to run these wannabe gangsters over with my car!

This is why I would do not belive in arranged marriages, after all you are not marrying the parents, but the person. And yes their family does matter, but not to the psuchotic point that this family did to my friends fiance. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the story.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
'if he wanted to kill his daughter, that's okay.'...

killing your daughter because she fell in love and torturing her to death.

are you people on this forum ok with this?

or are you all so brainwashed by political correctness that you think they should be 'allowed to practice their religion' or

you read the article, so where did you get the religion part from,
i wouldnt be supprised the people who stared the person above didnt read the article, but i am curious?

also why would you half quote the mother of the son saying they shouldnt have killed her child if they wanted to kill their daughter?

no one would be ok with this, you would have to have a screwed up mind if you were,

everyone else stick to the topic, and keep religion out of this as it has nothing to do with what has happend.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by rapunzel222

Yes you can bash all of India for that. Unfortunately, India isn't one community. There are several communities, contrasting each-other.
The region where Honour Killings are going on is Notorious for their cruel nature. Basically, people of that area are more political, and I cant understand how they can kill their own children.

Not all of India is Primitive.There were certain pockets in India since ancient times primitive and will continue being so. Unless Govt/or " Love Commandos"(A newly formed wing of youths to counter honour killings) decides to do something about it.

Until then India's that part will always be Horrific

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I lost my Girl friend, she was forced into a Marriage by her parents. It happened a few months back. She and I belong to the same community(caste) and same religion and language and even region too.
We had some common family friends and kins. still, her parents were against me in every possible way.

In The end I was left with a bruised heart and soul. She got married and is going to forget any-ways. This they did it when she went for Masters to USA!!
she got a contract of being a wife to some other guy.

I am making good friends with my profession anyways. I dont know what their problem was, I better go for my PhD now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join