It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GLOBAL DOOMSDAY SCENARIO. ***WARNING: This information might make you want to vomit. Read it at

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Its a nice day in Missouri today, No chemtrails as of yet, No tornados today, and my garden is dying like the report from Memphis newstation......

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Ive been watching the live www.livestream.com... feed for 10 mins and to me it looks like more gas is coming out than oil. Its a much more grey colour now ,also you can see the gas cling and wrap around parts of the BP machinery.

Originally posted by Nidwin
reply to post by tarifa37

I don't think so.
The grayish stuff you see is the dispersant being mixed with the oil.
The 2 arms of the ROV are holding the dispersant "tube" into the oil flow going up.

Nid

I could have been right according to this new thread www.abovetopsecret.com... www.livestream.com...

Methane levels 40% instead of normal 5% in Gulf - Scientists are Worried

A new article out today might inadvertently add some weight to Richard Hoagland's claim /theory/rumour of a methane bubble under the sea waiting to explode on some Armegeddon -type level. ...?

Hoagland warns of Gas Bubble and Tsunami of Biblical Proportions

According to oceanographer John Kessler the methane levels in the oil coming from the sea floor now are at 40 % compared to the normal 5% found in typical oil deposits.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I posted this link yesterday, but don't think anyone read it.
It is an article from 2005.
I will post some snippets.
www.sott.net...

Deep-sea-methane-Energy-Saviour-Or-Impending-Disaster-
Flashback: Deep sea methane: Energy Saviour Or Impending Disaster?

Quinn Eastman
Science Notes
Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:00 EST

This first harvest of methane hydrate could mark a new direction for the energy industry. Engineers once assumed that the energy costs of melting the frozen fuel would outweigh the gains. But rising oil and gas prices and creative uses of existing technology, like the recent test in the Canadian Arctic, are beginning to change their minds. The United States Geological Survey estimates that the total amount of natural gas in methane hydrates surpasses all of the known oil, coal, and gas deposits on Earth in energy content, although only a fraction of the frozen fuel will be extractable. The hydrates can form at any latitude on Earth if temperature and pressure conditions are right, and are usually mixed with sediment under the ocean floor.

The hazard results not just from tapping into hydrates themselves, but from oil companies' and governments' drive to explore for petroleum in deeper waters than ever before, Paull says. Propelled by the highest oil prices in a more than a decade, engineers in the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea are extracting oil and natural gas in waters more than a kilometer deep — entering the zone where methane hydrate mingles with sediment and rock.

Normally, the pressure of hundreds of meters of water above keeps the frozen methane stable. But heat flowing from oil drilling and pipelines has the potential to slowly destabilize it, with possibly disastrous results: Melting hydrate might trigger underwater landslides as it decomposes. Scientists hypothesize, in fact, that 8,000 years ago, decomposing hydrate helped to generate a gigantic landslide under the North Sea. The resulting tsunami scoured the Norwegian fjords and scattered seafloor sediment across Holland and Scotland. While no one is predicting that drilling could catalyze an event of such catastrophic proportions, an underwater slide in an oil field could cause enormous environmental damage from oil spills that couldn't be easily stopped.

Those oil platforms are some of the largest and most expensive structures ever constructed by humans,” he says. “The chance of an incident is very small, but can we afford to have just one? The oil industry has not addressed scientists' questions about seafloor stability to my satisfaction in a public way

Recently, he went to the Gulf of Mexico to map the hydrates and assess their risk to the oil industry. And this summer he will travel to the North Sea to investigate the seafloor at the site of the ancient landslide, where energy companies are developing a huge oil field. Each destination tells a different story about the frozen fuel that can help researchers assess whether methane hydrate is an energy boon, or a disaster waiting to happen.

The most promising places to mine hydrates, he says, are sites where deposits are concentrated, like veins of ore — such as in the Arctic. But the Gulf of Mexico is also a hot target. The Gulf already accounts for 30 percent of U.S oil production and the bulk of exploration for new oil reserves. “The crucial thing about the Gulf of Mexico,” Collett says, “is that when we figure out how much methane hydrate there actually is, the infrastructure to take advantage of it already exists

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
"a layer of oil tens of feet thick floating on the water"... WOW!

We could ALL drive Hummers!

Seriously, though - Worst case, we'd lose a ton of people due to the air being poisoned, but it wouldn't happen overnight. A large number of people would be saved by using gas masks and the like. Home filtration systems, sealed-buildings, etc would all become the norm.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by atlguy]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
"a layer of oil tens of feet thick floating on the water"... WOW!

We could ALL drive Hummers!

Seriously, though - Worst case, we'd lose a ton of people due to the air being poisoned, but it wouldn't happen overnight. A large number of people would be saved by using gas masks and the like. Home filtration systems, sealed-buildings, etc would all become the norm.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by atlguy]

That wouldn't really be the case though. The oxygen levels would be too low, and methane levels too high. Using a gas mask, you would probably just suffocate anyway.

Lets face facts, BP can not contain this. I have a vision of this situation getting to the point that they DO decide to put a nuke down there. And then, we're done for. With the amount of methane speculated to be in the gulf, wouldn't a nuke cook it all off? Thus creating massive landslides underwater, thus creating massive tsunamis all over the world?

Maybe the 2012 predictions weren't so off. Sad too because I have a 9 year old son. I don't see the future being too bright. I've lived my life already.... he hasn't.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321

That wouldn't really be the case though. The oxygen levels would be too low, and methane levels too high. Using a gas mask, you would probably just suffocate anyway.

Lets face facts, BP can not contain this. I have a vision of this situation getting to the point that they DO decide to put a nuke down there. And then, we're done for. With the amount of methane speculated to be in the gulf, wouldn't a nuke cook it all off? Thus creating massive landslides underwater, thus creating massive tsunamis all over the world?

Maybe the 2012 predictions weren't so off. Sad too because I have a 9 year old son. I don't see the future being too bright. I've lived my life already.... he hasn't.

Your son will reach a ripe old age, friend. Not to say that there is nothing to worry about, but there are ways to continue living. 3M makes filters for their masks that handle methane, as well as supply oxygen. No, it's not ideal, nor is it comfortable - but it would be sufficient to get you and yours to safe ground.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Derek, there is a common misconception behind the nuke scenario so I'll clear it up.

This is how it would go down.

There are 2.5 Miles (roughly 4 km) of Solid rock between the "Oil Lake" and the sea floor. They would drill a hole at an angle that is not deep enough (about half way there) to strike oil at an angle next to the well bore.

They will need a very small nuke, tiny. (Hell a bunker buster might be able to do the job and there's no nuke at all)

What will happen is the shock wave from the detonation will force the impermeable strata to pinch off the well hole.

What you have to remember is that this has been tried with natural gas wells and other oil wells. It worked. Natural gas is volatile and highly explosive yet there where no incidents of biblical explosions.

They aren't just going to drop a nuke down the well and hope for the best, there is a basic scientific reason why it works.

--------------

Lets look at the alternative. They can't clog it, they can't cap it, they can't stop it, it's starting to come through the sea floor around the well and there are billions and billions of barrels still under the ground. We are really starting to run low on options here. It's either we take the risk or we don't and we have the same outcome if the nuke fails.

I don't know about you guys but I like this planet. I think it's a pretty cool place. We need to protect it. Quit talking doomsday scenarios and start talking SOLUTIONS!!!

[edit on 18-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Well I certainly admit, I know nothing about dropping a nuke down a mile deep hole. I've seen the video's of the Soviets doing it. I'm not sure what difference land vs water will make. Plus, isn't the seabed down there pretty unstable as it is?

I agree that we are out of options. BP is 'claiming' that the relief wells are ahead of schedule. But I don't really believe anything they say.

So I have to agree with you. Do it... if it fails it fails, if we all die, well... we're gonna die anyway right?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Well the top layer of the seafloor is pretty unstable but there had to be something keeping that 80,000 psi of monster oil lake under there.

Yes there is rock under there. Solid rock.

Another positive is there will be no radiation, because the shock wave from the blast will also seal the hole we used to place the nuke. It will be sealed safely under the sea floor.

I can't say it will work 100%, but really what other options do we have. Humans are the only creatures on this planet with the know how and resources to fix this. For the human race and every other organism on this planet I say it's worth a hell of a shot.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
looks like bp has hit the pandora box........yigggg

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
yeah, climate change is here... but not as the NWO elites had it planned,
fate/destiny/mother-nature has exercised its consciousness, to show-who's-boss & to establish that 'she' is the power-greater-than-ourselves

There is no denying that science & meta-physics are blended in this ongoing saga, & this acknowledgement is the meaning of the anticipated 2012 'awakening' of the peoples....

Now why did you have to ruin a perfectly good post with this?

There's nothing metaphysical about this. There's no awakening happening, there was simply a hoax perpetuated by narcissists as a means to gain material wealth. Schizophrenics took a hold of this new-age movement and the rest is history. The new-age doesn't even start for a few centuries.

Why do we keep finding the need to impose irrational nonsense onto world events?

Man screwed up big time, and the earth is setup in such a way, that serious repercussions will occur.

No hocus pocus necessary.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

I don't know about you guys but I like this planet. I think it's a pretty cool place. We need to protect it. Quit talking doomsday scenarios and start talking SOLUTIONS!!!

Even if we do nothing there is no doomsday scenario. Schools out. People with sense and knowledge get bored with even trying to present facts after a while and the Doomsday Merchants take over in their quest for flags and stars.

They think Conspiracy Theory research is just inventing crap out of thin air. It's a game not to be taken seriously. That ATS is just a new version of the "Weekly World News" and Sorcha Faal is the true source of factual news.

The Conspiracy in this case is BP and the Governments roles. Fake Doomsday scenario's are not conspiracies, unless they are conspiracies to scare the illiterate for fun. Or, scare them for money in some cases, like Hoagland and C2C.

Most people posting won't waste their time learning anything. Those who do want to learn can simply use Google to find all they need, or god forbid, visit a good Library with factual books. Why mess with that when they can skim through total fiction and have fun scaring themselves and then discuss how smart they are.

Instead of attracting honest, knowledgeable people these threads are magnets for the exact opposite. Page after page of meaningless fear mongering and fiction. Nothing but cut and paste from horrible sources that prey on the those illiterate on these topics.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Something else to stuff in the 'fearmonger' pipe and smoke:

Methane is lighter than air, so there would be no mass extinction due to methane. It would simply rise to the atmosphere, wreak havoc on the ozone layer, and move on. We may cook, but we won't choke

Regarding the comment about oil "tens of feet deep" on the surface of the ocean - first, I'd like to see the source for that info or I will assume it was pulled out of the air. Second, do the math - The ocean's cover 71% of the earth. That's 140 MILLION square miles of ocean.

"Tens of feet deep"?

That would be in the neighborhood of 1,400,000,000 square miles of oil - at just ten feet deep.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy

Regarding the comment about oil "tens of feet deep" on the surface of the ocean - first, I'd like to see the source for that info or I will assume it was pulled out of the air.

My good man or woman, as the case may be:

You do not need to make any such assumptions, as the following disclaimer was included in the original post:

Disclaimer: No source is listed because all of the above statements are the unsubstantiated opinion of SJR/ Gold_Bug, except for the tsunami threats which are based on unconfirmed internet reports.
===========================================

CLARIFICATION FROM THE OP:

I knew the idea, that the "Oil Volcano" could end up raising global sea levels by 10+ feet, sounded crazy when posted in the original post. However, for the purpose of exploring the possible, when one presumes that the abiotic oil does exist under the gulf and is feeding the volcano:

Who among us, knows the depth and breadth of this abiotic ocean floating on the mantel just beneath the crustal plate in the GOM region?

It is within the realm of possibility, from a geometric and physical perspective, that such an abiotic fluid ocean could contain enough mass to raise the earth's oceans by hundreds of feet; and correspondingly drop the surrounding land mass (ALL OF TEXAS & MUCH OF MEXICO) far below current sea level. How is this possible? What if that abiotic ocean extends from Venezuela to Utah, is miles in depth, and hundreds of miles in width? Freaky concept, yes? But fact is that many reports claimed that the Russians were successful with super deep drilling, were such reports all a lie? Or, could it be possible that there may exist more abiotic oil underground then there exists 'fresh water' on Earth?

The reality is that we are, for the first time in human history, tinkering with geological forces beyond our comprehension and experience.

There are 'NO EXPERTS' in these matters whatsoever.

- SJR

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
It's okay, let the world blow up, what do I care. Seeing that I have so few REAL friends these days (they all jumped ship when they noticed I had more concern and compassion for nature than their economic prosperity and wealth .. lost a few more today just moments ago even), I really don't care if the world blows up tomorrow or come 2012.

Just let it happen, KABOOM, and mother nature can start out all over again and try to populate the world with something a whole lot nicer and smarter than humans, a new and improved species, with a LOT MORE understanding and compassion for our Earth and all her other creatures than apparently the majority of humanity has for their home world these days. KABOOM! Let it happen, I'm okay with it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
To those who think it impossible that this Oil Volcano could cover the Earth's oceans with a thick layer of hydrocarbons:

THE OP believes that some posters to this thread, posted incorrect numerical data.

What follows are the OP's calculations. If they are materially wrong, please post corrections and explain all discrepancies. Some rounding between computations was used but did not effect the material message of the results. Thank you.

Let’s begin by computing the volume of fluid needed to cover the present ocean to a depth of 10 feet, as this was the number talked about in this thread. [For simplicity sake, we are going to ignore the fact that rasing the ocean will change the shorelines.]

According to the WorldAtlas:
www.worldatlas.com...

The surface area of all the Oceans is 335,258,000 sq km (129,443,837 sq miles)

First, we must convert 10 feet into miles: The thickness of our volume is (10 feet/5120 feet per mile) = 0.001953125 miles thick.

Second, we multiply the thickness by the surface area to compute the needed volume:
0.001953125 miles thick TIMES 129,443,837 sq miles.= 252,819 cubic miles

ANSWER: Needed Volume is 252,819 cubic miles.

Next, our presumption given was that a sea of abiotic oil ran from Utah to Venezuela. According to a distance calculator, the distance from Logan, Utah to Caracas, Venezuela is 3461 miles. We will call this the length of our abiotic sea.

Next, we will pick a number out of the hat and presume that this sea is 20% as wide as it is long. That would give us a width of (3461 * .20) = 692 miles

Note: That the surface area of this abiotic sea would be 3461*692= 2,395,012 sq. miles

So the question is HOW DEEP would this abiotic sea have to be to cover the current surface area of the ocean to a depth of ten feet high?

The answer is 252,819 cubic miles DIVIDED BY 2,395,012 sq. miles = 0.105 miles deep

Or to express in feet, (5120 TIMES 0.015) = 537 feet deep.

IN SUMMARY:

If you can imagine the possibility of an abiotic sea, stretching from Venezuela to Utah that is 20% as wide as it is long, and is a mere 537 feet deep. Then you should understand that this volume of abiotic fluid would cover the Earth’s present day ocean surface area to a thickness of ten feet deep.

All considerations for the effects of shifting shorelines, and the exact dimensions of the abiotic sea, become meaningless when you realize that it would only take a layer of oil 1" thick on all the oceans to kill most all life on Earth.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gold_Bug
It's hard for me to understand how anyone could be an 'expert' on the geology that exists in the crustal layer that begins a few miles down (the point where BP drilled to) and ends at the mantel/plate boundary. No one has ever explored this region, with a drill bit or otherwise, to become an 'expert'.

I hope that you included Richard C. Hoagland in the "anyone" category?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It'd be nice to even prove that abiotic oil exists before you start imagining doomsday scenarios that involve it.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
It'd be nice to even prove that abiotic oil exists before you start imagining doomsday scenarios that involve it.

It would be even nicer if the Government would have imagined doomsday scenarios before they rubber stamped big oil deep ocean drilling permits.

[edit on 18-6-2010 by Gold_Bug]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
[errant post, please delete if possible.]

[edit on 6/18/2010 by LifeInDeath]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join