It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut Up Already , I Did Not Cause The Oil Spill

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

It is not that we CAN'T. There AREN'T alternatives yet. It is in everything you touch so it will take many, many decades to phase out all of the oil derived products. Just take Aerosols with CFCs as an example. I believe that they are still not totally phased out. As long as greed reigns, things like this will never change. It is naive to think otherwise.

And you talk about Palm Oil. There is a lot you don't know about Palm Oil. Please read up.

www.cspinet.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I don't think it's our fault at all. People have always been demanding safety and regulation regarding oil production. It's the reason certain regulations exist in the first place. It's not our fault that our concerns fall on deaf, greedy ears and that our government officials don't pressure theses companies because they shut their mouths once they get a pretty "campaign contribution" from them.

If the beet factory in my area exploded and killed hundreds and released dangerous pollutants into the air would it be my fault because I purchase their beats?

Is it my fault that people are dying in the Middle East because my tax dollars, against my wishes, are used to fund the war?

If it's our fault, what would be your reaction if the CEO of BP looked straight into the camera and said, "We blame this on everyone who uses oil in their daily lives. It's all YOUR fault America"?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Perhaps you are the one who needs to think it over as you clearly missed the point in Ok's post.

link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Plastics can be derived from algae-oil. As for the solvents, I'm not sure.

Linky

A handful of plastics. A tiny handful compared to the plethora we get from crude. Google around pulling up lists of what we get from crude. It'd be unfathomable to attempt to remove it all from our system. Everyone on earth would suffer. It would probably collapse the global economy worse than even the evil Banksters could ever hope to.

link   
here we go again...
the merry go round blame game threads just wont die..as soon as one drops of the first page another one is quickly punched up and submitted...
from We are all to blame, BP is to Blame , Brits are to blame,haliburton is to blame, Americans are to blame...

cant you please use the search engine and just dig up one of the other threads and add a comment..

these conversations in my opinion are not productive they just infuse the readership with polarizing emotions that in the end only help cloud the real issues ..As well as clogging up the boards hindering real information from being spread

thats my opinion you are all welcome to yours..

~meathead

then again we could just spend the next 2 years argueing amongst ourselves because thats worked out real good for us so far ...right?

link   
reply to post by FearfulButInterested

Forgive me, I thought I was dealing with responsible, intelligent individuals on this thread.

I'll leave it to you guys to whine and complain, and not really get anything done, but feel better about offsetting your share in responsibility.

My apologies.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have to share a couple things I learned today,

OIL AND GAS SEEPAGE FROM OCEAN FLOOR REDUCED BY OIL PRODUCTION
www.ia.ucsb.edu...

and,

The truth is oil is a natural part of our oceans. In the Gulf of Mexico alone, over 5,000 barrels of oil a day (220,000 gallons a day, over 80 million gallons a year!)seeps out from vents in the earth into the ocean. It’s part of the natural cycle, but few will speak of this truth today. Oil is a natural substance. It’s part of the earth, and obviously ocean life continues every year despite over two million barrels of oil escaping in the Gulf of Mexico alone—a very small body of water compared to the Oceans, which experience the same phenomenon. If the Gulf can survive two million barrels a year, just think how much seepage takes place in any of the oceans. It would probably be enough to make an environmentalist sick.

The largest problem within the Santa Barbara [California] channel is not drilling, but natural oil seepage. Oil and gas trapped in the Monterey Shale below the ocean floor seep up through fissures. It has been estimated that there are two billion barrels alone under an area known as the Coal Point Seeps.

Natural oil seepage in the Santa Barbara Channel was first recorded by Spanish explorer Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo on Oct. 16, 1542. He even used the tar from the seepage, known as asphaltum, to waterproof two of his ships, just as the native Chumash Indians did with their canoes. English explorer, George Vancouver, in his exploration of the Pacific Coast in 1792 while looking for the Northwest Passage, noted in his log book that the Santa Barbara Channel was covered in all directions with an oily surface so thick that the entire sea took on an iridescent hue.

www.sodahead.com... age=2

So even the Chumash Indians used the natural resources, goes back a long way, we need to do a topic of its history.

You learn something new everyday.

[edit on 043030p://bThursday2010 by Stormdancer777]

[edit on 043030p://bThursday2010 by Stormdancer777]

link   

Your mind is closed, sir.

How sadly imprisoned it truly is . . .

link   

Lol, hilarious how you just insulted me yet you claim you are above me in all the ways you mentioned. Funny how you have to turn to insults. Get your self righteous ### out this thread if you can't be reasonable and not use insults and try to undermine my posts by insulting my intelligence and integrity. Thanks.

EDIT: You just proved my point in your reply to ignoranceisntbliss, and I don't even agree with his stance on this.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by FearfulButInterested]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Ah but in a way the people who profit have made us dependent by making everything from it and also taking away a lot of our viable alternatives, and that's been by design. Sure we should take responsibility, and many have been since the early 70s, but many more haven't.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

just to let you know OP.

All those plastics, fibers, screens, and wires can be made out of hemp.

As well as paper, Hemp takes 8 months to grow and produces, better quality products than products made out of oil

1 acre of hemp produces 4 acres worth of paper that normal trees do. Hemp grows in 8 months and trees take a lifetime to grow.

Basically we have an alternative to everything oil is used for besides the oil you put in your engine.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearfulButInterested

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by okbmd

Of course we are.

Haha, alright I am going to kill someone and then let you server my jail sentence, since it would be your fault, sound good? (I won't really kill someone)

You expect me to be reasonable, when your argument is entirely irrational? How is this, now? Why should I argue with an idiot? Isn't that foolish?

So I choose not to.

Take the thread.

It's dumb.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

When you buy a biodiesel processor then come talk to me.

Or better yet, when you put 100% of your spare cash, assuming you make any, into buying every expensive non-petro derived product out there on the market, and shed all of the rest, I'd tell you to then come talk to me but you won't have a PC anymore to do it with.

Until then you will use oil, and somewhere out there in the world there always be a spill happening somewhere.

It's not even just the nature of humans to make mistakes, it's the nature of the business.

Even if this one was DELIBERATE (it could be), there are just as many if not more that weren't the fault of GREED.

If GREED is the primary motivator, then shouldn't they be doing everything they can to not spill a single drop? It's not like they don't already have money to be patient enough to try their best and do it right, for the better part.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Beautifully said, UE.

Like the OP, do I hold myself responsible for this? No. I don't.

But as a part of humanity? Yeah. We are. And those who have died before us. All.

We are going to have to change. But I don't think we really know how.
It's going to take a long time....if humanity can last that long.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
We cannot turn back the hands of time folks, needless to say all our hearts are broken, but you have to move forward, and look for positive solutions.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elfulanozutan0

I ague we need a hemp economy more than anything, but don't delude yourself.

It CAN'T answer polycarbonates, polystyrenes, acrylic, teflon, nylon, etc.

The Ford Hemp Car was made with thick panels anyways. That's a far cry from the multiple plastics used to make your PC and cell phones.

And never mind the economics behind the idea of growing enough hemp to replace all crude were it even possible.

And there's still the solvents issue.

But what you can do IS rally for hemp anyways, and buy the most durable long lasting products you can built as near where you live as possible.

We CAN'T get off oil 100%, but we can use it a lot less with the right, rational focus.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
people believe this is used just in cars .... HAHAHHAHA

this is a total joke ... I support that these "Greenpeace" activists are a JOKE

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Thank you for that.

I like to see people kicking around new ideas. Solutions are always born from new ideas.

I posted this somewhere yesterday, and here it is again.

On Larry King Live, T. Boone Pickens said:

When is the best time to plant a tree?
....Twenty years ago.......

If you Didn't plant it twenty years ago, when is the best time to plant it?

..........today...........

I love this. It's true.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd
Once you have killed yourself without the use of anything that was produced with the use of oil , then I am sure BP will have second thoughts before they decide profits before safety in the future .

I'm about the biggest BP critic around...

But I think a lot of people are overlooking the concept that with the multimillions they invest in one single well, greed would have them trying their best to NOT lose a single drop. Especially when they do cause a spill and then pay out MORE on top of the lost investment.

Another thing most are overlooking is that there are over 4,000 oil wells in the Louisiana and Texas Gulf region. After so long eventually the odds run out. Everyone should have knew this was coming, but most still don't realize how many are out there in that area alone. I'm surprised they made it past 4,000 quite frankly.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
reply to post by DaMod

I don't think it's our fault at all. People have always been demanding safety and regulation regarding oil production. It's the reason certain regulations exist in the first place. It's not our fault that our concerns fall on deaf, greedy ears and that our government officials don't pressure theses companies because they shut their mouths once they get a pretty "campaign contribution" from them.

If the beet factory in my area exploded and killed hundreds and released dangerous pollutants into the air would it be my fault because I purchase their beats?

Is it my fault that people are dying in the Middle East because my tax dollars, against my wishes, are used to fund the war?

If it's our fault, what would be your reaction if the CEO of BP looked straight into the camera and said, "We blame this on everyone who uses oil in their daily lives. It's all YOUR fault America"?

I think you just helped me make my point (even though you probably didn't intend to). People now are calling for more strict safety regulations and enforcement of such due to the public outcry resulting from this disaster. TPTB are forced to enforce. Where was this outcry when BP was cutting corners and ignoring safety measures in order to cut costs? How did they get away with ignoring a failed pressure test and proceeding anyway? Where was the enforcement then?

Yes I agree up to this point in my reply we still aren't at fault but here's the kicker. We have a system in place that allows corporations to contribute to our elected officials. Why do we let our representatives turn a blind eye? Why wasn't BP (before this whole thing) afraid of being reprimanded for their violations that didn't come to light until a horrible disaster? Shouldn't they fear regulatory inspections? Shouldn't they fear rig closures do to inadequate safety measures? Shouldn't they have followed the rules or else?

Go to any restaurant (in the US) right before the health inspector is about to arrive. You will see what this kind of fear looks like!!!

Why should BP be less responsible for health and safety than Apple Bees?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join