It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut Up Already , I Did Not Cause The Oil Spill

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have told myself over and over that I was not going to make a thread like this but , I come back on here and here is a new thread with the lame accusation that this oil leak is the fault of everyone of us .

STOP IT . I did not make the decision to circumvent safety measures , in the drilling process of that well , for the hasty profit that was envisioned and hoped for .

You people making these statements are lame . If you are into self-flagellation then feel free to blame yourself all you want .

But , stop blaming the rest of us . This is a ludicrous accusation coming from total idiots .

If you are alive on this planet , then there is a 99.999% chance that you benefit from the production of oil on a daily basis .

EVERYTHING in your life was most likely produced / manufactured through the use of oil in one or more of the processes .

Prove me wrong .

If you are setting at your keyboard partaking of ATS , then you are benefitting from the production of oil .

Oil was used in the production of those plastics , circuits , screen , wire etc.

So what , that you claim to ride a bicycle instead of a car . Do you honestly believe OIL wasn't used in the production of that bike ?

So what if you live in an apartment and don't have a lawn to mow . OIL was used to produce EVERYTHING inside and outside of that apartment .

So what if you use solar energy instead of conventional . OIL was used in the production of those panels and grids .

If you live and breathe on this planet , you are reaping the benefits of oil production . Stop being ignorant .

Is my two-year-old grandson responsible for the oil spill ? I mean after all , Oil is used in the manufacture and production of his clothes and all the food he eats . You gonna blame him too ?

If you don't want to feel guilty about your use of oil , then you may as well kill yourself . Just don't use a gun , knife , or drugs to do it with , as oil is somehow used in the production of all of those .

And , don't step in front of a truck ., for obvious reasons .

Stop brushing your teeth , stop taking a shower , don't use deodorant , stop eating all together , strip down totally naked and walk to the edge of a cliff and jump off , if you feel responsible for the oil problem .

Don't walk down any roads to get there .

Once you have killed yourself without the use of anything that was produced with the use of oil , then I am sure BP will have second thoughts before they decide profits before safety in the future .

Go ahead and make the world a better place by not causing anymore oil spills .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
it still your fault even if you try to deny it by writing a 2000 words essay

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I have to (half) agree with the OP here. Not with the killing yourself part (that was a bit harsh) but the fact that everything we use is made with oil as part of its process.

With that said OP, as a civilization that uses oil in almost every facet of manufacturing wouldn't you say that it is really our responsibility to insure that this raw material is handled and extracted with environmental and human safety in mind? I think that is my biggest quandary with BP. They cut corners, ignored the results of a pressure test and now here we are with oil spewing into probably the biggest commercial fishery in the country.

If that is not bad enough, they are making the oil they spilled far more toxic (dispersants) than just letting it be. Yet another quandary.

They are trying to blind the consumer (who uses oil based products) as to the current happenings there and are trying to cover up the fact that they where negligent.

Yes Oil gives great power to industry and production, but with great power comes great responsibility and I'm sorry but this disaster was caused by total blatant unadulterated irresponsibility.

I think it is everyone's fault yes. Why? Because we as a people in this time and age find it quite easy to turn a blind eye to corporate disregard for safety, environmental impact and ethical practices.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The fact is that every single one of us that use the Internet use oil.

As long as humans use oil these things will happen.

There are multiple spills every year, not just the ones we see hit our shores.

As long as humans use oil these things WILL happen.

As long as you utilize modern life you will be part of the problem. The only total escape is move out into a cabin, or off yourself. Period.

Fuel is only a part of what we get from oil. Your PC is made from it.

As long as humans use oil these things WILL happen.

There's little hope of ever truly getting off of oil.

The products we make from oil are thousands of times worse for the environment, and last thousands of times longer. Literally.

This is the world we live in so either get over it, or peace out.

One could argue the Gulf Gusher is like the ultimate most extremely cynical version of dark humor poetic justice, so sinister, and insidious, that only a few people have even caught the 'joke'. If so few people didn't realize just how many things we get from oil I'd argue that even the people guilt tripping everyone are unwittingly operating from some deep subconscious level outcrying that all of the oil is going to waste. Maybe they still are.

In any case it can easily be argued that the world is actually better off when oil gets lost at sea, because what we do with it is far worse.

I don't say these things to guilt trip people, don't get me wrong. I say it for those who would guilt trip everyone to get a reality check.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Look dude, you're just not seeing the big picture, here.

It's not that you were directly involved, it's that humanity collectively okay'd the crap circumstances. Guess what? We're all part of humanity, therefore, you are to blame just as much as the next.

The truth is that humanity is getting EXACTLY what it deserves. The truth is that if we didn't, as a whole, look the other way and call people who spoke out derogatory names. If we didn't say it's okay, and that's just the way it is. If we empowered ourselves to not only understand, but act on our conscience. That if we got organized and united against big oil. Not even that, if we all donated a little time, energy, and $$$ into the alternatives. THEN, we wouldn't be in this situation. It's the same for most of these catastrophes.

We KNOW that there's alternatives out there, either waiting to be discovered with the effort, or waiting to be put to use. We KNOW that the system is corrupted from the top down, and that voting is a joke. We KNOW that evil exists not because of the men who cause such actions, but because of the men who choose to do nothing about it. We KNOW that the only way through this mess, i s a complete redesign of society as a whole. We KNOW that without action, and not just words, nothing will change. We KNOW that we can't count on those who call ourselves our leaders, and that we must take up these roles.

So we've got the knowledge. Where's the action? So it is, collectively, all of our faults.

For if the system was restructured, if the patent office wasn't corrupted, if these alternatives were allowed to flourish, if the people just came to their senses and stood up for their liberties. . . we'd all be living in a golden age.

Ultimately, it's humanities fault. This is why I say we're all to blame. As individuals within the collective.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mario begin

I suppose I am also responsible for all the gang-related murders in the inner cities too , simply because I own a handgun ?

If you feel responsible , go live in a cave and forage for your supper and dress in animal skins that you have acquired by chasing down animals and killing them with crude instruments you have fashioned from stone .

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Nobody said that we don't need to use oil, people are saying we don't have to use PETROLEUM.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

That's a bad metaphor. Crime isn't the the result of the gun industry, guns are just tools criminals enjoy.

But if you buy the drugs they import and sell, or buy their stolen merchandise, then that would be the proper comparison.

Your comparison would be more like blaming the existence of drills, which basically also drill us the water we drink and bathe ourselves with.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
There are two things here. Blame and Responsibility. The only one to blame here is BP. They by-passed safety regulations and basically tried to put a square peg in a round hole to extract oil from this particular well.

We share responsibility for being addicted to oil but as there are little to no alternatives around, it is hard to break free from i so this shared responsibility also comes with the inability to change the situation. Pretty meaningless therefore.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

I agree that blame and responsibility are separate, and the designation needs to be made. However, it's ignorant to think that alternatives don't exist. Ever heard of the water car? How about palm oil, or coconut oil, or hemp oil, or algae oil?

It's out there, it's just not being commercially produced for fuel, and various products.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I didn't say NO alternatives..Little to no are the words I used. There are a few alternatives for some of the items made from oil, but not alternatives for ALL the items made from oil.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Thanks op for saying what needs to be said. I agree with you completely. Yes I use oil and contribute to the industry, however, everyone is missing the main point. We are not the ones who bypassed safety regulations etc... which is the main factor in the cause of this disaster. In this case the bypassing of safety regulations is not our fault, therefore this disaster is not our fault. That is what they want you to do is to take part of the blame simply because you use oil and then once you have already accepted that you lose because we will have to foot the bill for someone elses negligence and disregard for safety.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Wrong.

Name one thing you can make from petroleum that you can't make from bio-fuel? All of the derivatives of petroleum can be made from bio-fuel, or algae-oil.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I suppose then , that humanity as a whole , was responsible for the holocaust ?

What about chernobyl ? Three Mile Island ? WW1 ? WW2?

The list could go on forever .

Humanity as a whole is NOT responsible for the greed and destruction of a few .

This is a lame argument .

[edit on 17-6-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd

I suppose then , that humanity as a whole , was pesponsible for the holocost ?

What about chernobyl ? Three Mile Island ? WW1 ? WW2?

The list could go on forever .

Humanity as a whole is NOT responsible for the greed and destruction of a few .

This is a lame argument .

Excellent post man. Excellent post. This here is a perfect example. If some of you are willing to take the blame for this disaster are you also willing to take blame/responsibility for the listed events above? I didn't think so.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Just because something is possible to do doesn't make it a solution to GLOBAL fuel consumption and needs.

And you ought to read the OP in full as fuel isn't all we get from it. How does everyone keep missing this part of things?

And even if you could replace all plastics, which you can't, there would still be a need for the solvents we get from crude.

Wake up people.

About the best you can do is buy long lasting high quality Made in the USA products.

And anyone who doesn't acknowledge this is either ignorant, or has a darker hidden agenda, especially policy makers such as Obama.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Plastics can be derived from algae-oil. As for the solvents, I'm not sure.

Linky

[edit on 17-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Of course we are.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by okbmd

Of course we are.

Haha, alright I am going to kill someone and then let you server my jail sentence, since it would be your fault, sound good? (I won't really kill someone)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd
I suppose then , that humanity as a whole , was pesponsible for the holocost ?

What's your point of reference? You're concept is missing something. Like, if we all helped EAT the dead Jews, or we all used them as slave labor then that would make this a proper comparison. You lack any point of reference.

What about chernobyl?

Did you live in the Soviet Union, under the Soviet energy system?

Three Mile Island?

These examples are rather mute, being flawed older systems.

However, if you're the type who helps prevent newer safer nuke plants from being built, forcing us to keep using 30+ year old plants, then that would make you part of the problem.

It's actually remarkable how few nuclear accidents ever happen, over a period of decades, when there are multiple oil spills every year and there always will be. Think that one over real good ...

Just listing tragedies and crisis doesn't mean they compare. It's actually interesting how you compare these things to world wars and holocausts. But that's another thread.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join