It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX Poll: Americans More Concerned With Jobs Than Gulf Oil Spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The public's concern about disaster response and relief has catapulted as a result of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill but still trails in people's minds behind the economy and jobs, a new Gallup poll finds.

Eighteen percent of Americans surveyed list natural disaster recovery as the most important problem facing the nation, an increase of 17 points since early May when the severity of the oil spill caused by an April 20 BP oil rig explosion was first being realized.

However, it still is not as big a problem as the economy and the need for jobs, with nearly half of voters picking those two topics as the most important problems the country must resolve.

The economy is the biggest problem for 28 percent of those surveyed. Jobs capture the attention of 21 percent. That's up 2 points and down 1 point, respectively, from the May poll, according to Gallup.

Dissatisfaction with government captured the top problem for 14 percent of those surveyed. Health care rounded out the top five, with 10 percent, though that marked a considerable decline since the congressional debate over the health insurance overhaul.

The survey
taken June 11-13 of 1,014 adults had a margin of error of 4 percent.

www.foxnews.com...

Its early to draw any conclusion, because questions and answers are not published, but something I see whats odd here - no mention about wars!

There is at least three wars going on, where hundreds of thousands G.I.s are seeking results by guns: Devastating countries, ruining economies, killing and raping - but thats not a concern for even a mention...

What is your concern?

I really would like to hear some answers from you, directly... TOP 5 Concerns!

Here is my TOP 5 concerns list: (If US citizen

1. Shadow Government Actions ( Banks, Aipac, CFR, Trilateral...)
2. Wars and Military Industry
3. Natural Disaster
4. Oil Spill Mexico Gulf
5. Budget Decifit

Please, give your thoughts!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

First off... There hasn't been a SPILL... It's a LEAK

Im sure many are.... The gulf coast residents are worried about jobs BECAUSE the oil leak has ruined millions of peoples ability to make a living at what they know...

Id be concerned about jobs too if I couldn't feed my family and was washing my hands of the gulf coast region...

Jobs in.... Let's say Oregon.... Because at is, according to my friends at the epa the only safe place where you will not be effected by the extreme chemical off gassing

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Of course jobs are at the top of many people's minds. People in the Gulf have lost a way of life. Many people have been out of work nationwide for so long and if they have been drawing unemployment benefits they are about to run out if they have not exhausted them already, and Congress is too busy bailing out the banks, major corporations and other countries and then bickering about helping our own at the mention of extending unemployment benefits.

People are scratching and digging to keep a roof over their families heads and food on their tables. So yes, people are concerned about finding and keeping a job, and the economy is not getting any better, at least in my part of the world. Tennessee is still over 10% unemployment and the county I reside is still over 11% and I'm sure there are other places that are still a lot worse than it is here. And that is not counting those who have dropped out of the statistics.

So I can understand why there are so many people who are primarily concerned about employment.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
It's been down played in the media anyway. People dont know know how severe the situation is.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
iF you didn't have a means to survive (feed your self and family) if might become a priority concern. For many people things have gone from bad to worse.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Jobs are more important to me than the situation in the Gulf.

I don't deny that its a crisis that will affect millions of people along the Gulf, not to mention the environmental effects and effects it has on wildlife. But I'm not over hyping the situation at the same time. Not one ounce of me believes there will be any evacuation of any city, much less states because of the disaster. There will be no martial law, there will be no suspension of civil liberties, there will be no round up into FEMA camps.

What there will be is a loss of livelihood for thousands of people along the Gulf, turning an already dire job situation into a larger disaster.

I've been unemployed for virtually the past year and 1/2. And now it would seem my lack of employment is keeping me from gaining employment. I've applied at a wide range of jobs, from dishwashers to office assistants and have not received as much as an interview from any of them, while their ad's seeking employment run for weeks.

While I may not be the best candidate for many of the jobs, not too many people are more suited than me to wash your dirty dishes after you pay $60 to eat 1/4 of your meal. Not to sound like I'm from Arizona, but it saddens me to learn that I didn't get the dishwasher job I so desperately needed because it went to a (most likely illegal) immigrant.

Thats my rant/opinion.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If you remember back to grade school and Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, the primary concern for people is that their basic needs (food, etc) and safety (shelter, employment, money) are met. Once people have those things, they can start to be concerned about the greater world around them. Unfortunately, a lot of people have been knocked back to worrying about the basic necessities of life over the past few years and are struggling to get those needs met as the top priority.

top topics

join