It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salt and survival

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
New info on salt if you haven't heard it yet. www.today.com... Watch the video, this woman is a doctor. Both sodium and Chloride are necessary to move toxins out of cells. It is also necessary to make stomach acid correctly.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: silent thunder

Well, I guess I would have to trade for it. I mean there are lots of things people would be willing to give up a little salt to acquire. If I could not trade for it I might have to end up attempting to steal it somehow. The only other option I could think of is to try to pull it out from saltwater if I was close enough to a saltwater source.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: silent thunder

I store salt. I have a few little packets of salt (like from restaurants) in my bugout bag. For that purpose, my main line of thought was that I'll probably be eating some gross crap to survive, maybe a little salt will help with the flavor.

In my home pantry, I have a few extra containers of salt. If I see them on sale, or just happen to be in that aisle and think "oh I should add some more salt to my storage" then I'll grab one or two. I know I haven't stored up enough to be of much use in preserving foods (like for meat specifically), but the idea is that eventually I'll have amassed a fair quantity. I use it in some of my canning recipes too, so I figure it's good to have extra on hand for that. And again, the taste issue. If I'm eating dandelion soup to try to squeak out alive, then adding a little salt makes it sound slightly more delicious.

I think storing salt is not a bad idea if you plan to remain in place, but if I had to get moving, I'm afraid the salt is at the very bottom list of stuff I'd lug around.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here is a Canadian article addressing this issue. ca.news.yahoo.com... There has been a lot about this in the news lately. Much of it shows that reducing salt is just a fad and can lead to many problems in people. Some people do have problems with sodium but most people don't.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I think that the key point in this new article is that moderation is the key. It makes sense when you apply it to just about everything else in life, so why not salt. In my cooking I have greatly reduced the amount of salt that I use over the past few years, but I think that like the article suggests I have found a level that is moderate.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: unityemissions

Howdy,

I hate the be the bringer of bad news here, but rock salt and sea salt are... essentially the same thing. Rock salt (NaCl) is the same thing as sea salt (NaCl). What's important to remember is that rock salt is a product of the drying of a large section of water containing dissolved salts, such as an ocean or lake, which forms a large evaporite deposit. So yeah, rock salt is just ancient sea salt, although table salt is often iodized salt. Actually, because of the iodine, I would argue that table salt is probably better for you in a survival situation than sea salt or rock salt.

Sincere regards,
Hydeman

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Actually, Native Americans did too trade salt: check this out: Native American Salt-works.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning

How much salt we need in our bodies is going to be an individual thing. I pee out a lot of salt so I need salt to replace it. Both sodium and chloride are essential to carrying waste and food to and from our cells, with potassium being an intercellular transporter. Chloride is very important for a lot of biological processes. Now a person who does not excrete much sodium, they do not need as much. If you are not in the sun much or do not drink coffee or any fluoridated beverages than you need less. Fluoride knocks the chloride off the cells so it can haul the toxins away, but needs the salt to work. Taurine is also needed for this process.

We have been so badly bsed by society that we have developed a consensus that is completely wrong for most people. Some people need quite a bit of salt, some (less than five percent) cannot use much salt. Everyone in between needs to examine how they feel with salt. Tyramines raise BP more than salt does, but salt can adjuvate this. It is better to moderate fermented or aged foods to control your BP. Processed foods often contain lots of tyramines of various sorts. We need some but not as much as we think. Sugar in conjunction with salt can cause problems also, sugar has a tyramine effect to it even though it is not really a tyramine.

People with low BP need tyramines to keep their BP correct, people who do not have this problem do not need as much. If you burn the energy created by the neurochemicals created by the tyramines, there is not much of a problem. But people eat a lot of these foods, like pizza, and sit around. You want energy, eat these foods. You want calmness or tranquility then lower your consumption. You do not need adrenaline if you are not doing anything.

edit on 14-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join