It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salt and survival

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The human body needs salt. I've heard it said that we can survive without food longer than we can survive without salt (although of course the two are usually mixed in modern culture). Ancient societies like China and Rome placed a great premium on salt and had extensive salt trading networks, salt mines, etc. Salt remains a government monopoly in at least a few nations for old national security reasons.

It may be hard to imagine in a day and age where (at least in the developed world) over-salting, rather than under-salting, is a problem. But for most of human history, it appears that finding and providing salt was a great human challenge. Hence the role of salt as money or a medium of exchange in a number of cultures -- this attests to its universal value.

In the TV miniseries "Jericho," about a post-nuclear scenario, salt suddenly became one of the most valued commodities and played a central role in trade and barter.

How many of you have given consideratation to salt in your survival scenarios? Do you have salt in your bugout bag or bunker? Do you think a salt shortage would become a significant issue in a SHTF scenario? How would you go about getting the salt your body needs after the local grocery store has already been looted and the fast food chain no longer sells saltburgers?

I'd just like to open up a general topic on it because I rarely see it discussed in survival/SHTF type threads. Any opinions or comments welcome.

[edit on 6/15/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Southern Ontario sits on One HUGE SALT deposit
Widsor salt and all

the ashes of the coltsfoot plant contain a hi concentration of salt and can be used as salt
dried ground juniper berries can be used as pepper

edit SandF

[edit on 15-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I think your post is valid. Especially for those that work out hard or work hard. However, we live in a world of people that are far more sedentary than previous decades.

I remember when I worked out hard, that I absolutely needed more sodium to retain water to feed my muscles.

Well....that's long gone now. Now I find myself being a bit more sedentary and am having problems with high blood pressure. Most probably due to salt/sodium intake and a lazy lifestyle.

If you are healthy and workout, salt/sodium should not be a problem. If your old, fat and lazy........better change those habits.

Good post.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yep, and sea salt is the good stuff.

If anyone is concerned about their RDA of sodium because of blood pressure issues, you're probably wasting your time. It only effects about 5% of people to a marked degree. A simple test involving a little common sense, some sea salt, and a blood pressure monitor would confirm if this is a problem for you or not.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Many staples of life I have considered for mass quantity storage in a food stockpile. Salt was a one, as was rice, wheat, oats etc. I assumed I would have to buy large bags of salt and store in large food grade barrels. Has anyone seen barrels for sale? And do they come in any type you would want, such as iodized, sea salt, kosher, and in varying coarseness?

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Definitely agree on the sea salt. However, when I buy a large Jar of sea salted nuts, I wash them down and dry them out to remove the salt.

Have to do this, got the blood pressure thing. Not badly, just in the beginnings of it.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I've pretty much stopped posting in the "What's in your B.O.B" thread.
I will say that I, personally have many, many, pounds of kosher salt stored.

I believe salt wil be one of the most under-rated, overlooked items in a world without refrigeration, mining equipment, and long distance trade.

One only needs to look at history.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Large, small, active or not, we all NEED a certain amount of salt.
It is from this need that the saying, "Worth his salt" came from.

There are more than enough uses for salt to make it worth while to keep a goodly supply.

www.saltworks.us...

On this next one there's an image of a baby surrounded by names and totals of the minerals, metals, and fuels a body uses in a lifetime.

80,454 gallons of petroleum, 5.7 million cu. ft. of natural gas!!

www.saltinstitute.org...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
remember to store your salt in a nice dry location with low humidity. i live by the coast and i store my salt with a hand full of salt in container its supposed to suck up moisture so i was told by grandparents. if i leave it in morton box it turns in to a block of salt by end of month during summer time.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Himalayan I have heard claimed would cure a Horses high blood pressure due to it being completely balanced with something like 94 trace minerals or something like that

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
If you are near salt water, you can always collect some and allow it to evaporate.

That will leave you with just the salt.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Salt is one of the most overhyped substance there is. The amount of salt our bodies need we get from the meats and vegetables we eat naturally.

For food preservation you can smoke meats without salt, it just doesn't keep as long.

Do you seriously think that nomadic people chased or lugged around pounds and pounds of salt??

Native Americans refused to eat anything the settlers brought to them that had salt on it. They thought it tasted funny. =)

I'd worry more about learning how to work flint, tan hides, and how to live off the land once your clothes wear out and metal all rusts away.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by PayMeh
Salt is one of the most overhyped substance there is.

Well it seems like everyone from Soviet geostrategic planners to those who fought wars over salt up to a century ago might disagree with you there.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Maybe so, maybe not. Personally, I side with those who say its a necessity, but regardless, its worth noting that salt is among the cheapest products you can buy. Why even take the risk that you're wrong when $10-20 invested would hold you over for quite a long time?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
When the time does come for the survival/SHTF situation. I have brought my self a few fact books, why? Because when the electricity and water and the gas companies stops producing their products... How else would one learn to defend one's self in a survival situation. The skills _is_ what_is needed to know-learn-understood, because of the items that can be re:used in a helpful way. I do have a small collection of fact books.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Its not so much the salt we need for our bodies but its uses...IMO...

Salt cured meats, and jerky, not to mention salt cured salmon "droolin"

It is also used for tanning hides for clothing, foot wear, and is an ingreediant in homemade blackpowder.....

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I agree.. Except that salt isn't needed in tanning process, all you really need the animal supplies itself - ie the brains.

I think it's hugely important if you have a colony of 100 or so and you need to cure meat en masse so that it can last years.

Non salt cured jerky can last up to 6 months though if stored properly.

I never implied that it had no uses whatsoever of that societies have fought wars for the right to control it's distribution. All I mean to say here is that it's not a live or die situation and that there are better things to lug around and try to keep dry other than salt.

Also I think those of us in the US should just accept the fact that we're wayyy more susceptible to being SOL when SHTF. The FDA has made sure that few here know anything about basic food production. I'd love to go ahead and try to make my own cheeses and cure my own meat.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I remember someone on coast to coast am saying that if you couldn't afford to buy gold, to buy large quantities of salt to use to trade with.
Salt can be used for many purposes, from drying and preserving meat, to flavoring food that you might otherwise find less palatable.

In the long run, salt may be more useful that gold.

It won't rot and as long as you keep it dry, it will last virtually forever.

I think honey is another food that is like that. If it gets all solid and crystalizes, it can be boiled or heated and will melt again. Honey can be used to attract other animals to a bait trap. Honey can be used to disinfect wounds because many types of germs will not grow in it.

Edible honey has been found in tombs.

I think if you take a cloth and dip it in salt water and then wrap this around a metal object, the evaporation can be used to cool fluids. I think this is how the amish keep milk cool in metal milk cans.

It would be useful to stock up on honey, and salt. It would also be useful to have a store of seeds and gardening equipment. If you had extra shovels, hoes, rakes, and the like, those could be traded. Knives and axes would be good to have extra, as well as lots of nails, rope, string and things to build with.

Even just having a lot of extra books to trade with other people, detailing how to make things, or do a skill.

I think in the long run a lot of things are going to be more useful than gold. People will trade in gold for a while I think, but eventually I think people are going to want something that is going to do something for them. They will want land, food, items, and knowledge.

Gold is a means of getting those items at first. But I think as the actual items themselves are going to be what people want, then gold will become less useful for trade.

People will begin to trade using food, tools, books, or knowledge.

If you are very knowledgeable in how to make something or perform a task, you yourself will become a commodity.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Blood contains salt if you don't mind not "bleeding" a kill all the way.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Salt, any kind, without drinking plenty of water to help flush it out causes kidney stones.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join