It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Death Clouds Already Onshore! Benzene-3400ppb & Hyrdrogen Sulfide-1200ppb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

BP Oil Spill:Toxic Gases Spreading Inland, Scientist Says Move Out of Gulf...

This is looking more like evacuations are coming soon...

Gases such as Hydrogen Sulfide, Benzene, Methylene Chloride, and other toxic gases pose a greater risk to human health than the presence of oil washing up on Gulf of Mexico beaches. The allowable levels of Hydrogen Sulfide and Benzene according to the EPA are 5-10 parts per billion and 0 respectively.The EPA reported the level detected in the Gulf at almost 1,200 PPB for hydrogen sulfide and 3400 PPB for Benzene during the month of May. The amounts pose a serious and even fatal health risk to people and animals.

______beforeitsnews/news/79/185/BP_Death_Clouds_Already_Onshore_Benzene-3400ppb_Hyrdrogen_Sulfide-1200ppb_TOXIC_AIR_ALERT.html

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I believe this has already been posted

or maybe it's deju vu for me

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This has been brought up in several posts including one of my own, not to say it isnt irrelevant, but keep spreading the word. I am currently looking into other gases that may be escaping that they are not talking about...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Got to love that search feature, I checked four ways before posting

Feel free to post the thread if you find it. I am looking again, only find this one now.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

I have gathered a lot of solid information about the gas components of the blowout in this thread:

Gulf spill: is the methane a bigger problem than the oil?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've tried to keep it focussed on the actual science; there's a lot of background on the field they were trying to drill, the behavior of methane hydrates, and the effects of methane in the water. It's pretty information dense.

One of the things no one has been addressing is that so far, at least 6-10 BILLION cubic feet of methane has been released in the deep waters of the Gulf, and there is no way, ZERO, to remove it other than to allow microbes to eat it, which in itself creates long-term nightmare problems.

This methane eventually bubbles out into the atmosphere...how much is anyone's guess because everyone's watching what they can see, not what they can't.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Great info, thanks for posting. It seems that what reports we do hear from the MSM are focused on the oil contamination itself, which most definitely is extremely serious.

Here's a chart based on the data from LEAN's analysis, which was done by award-winning analytical chemist Wilma Subra.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/45dcef698646.jpg[/atsimg]

Perhaps it is as many threads have highlighted, a way to keep panic down. I do think they are planning contingency evacuations, and dont want that discussed either.

I found this published from yesterday, June 14th.

Air tests from the Louisiana coast reveal human health threats from the oil disaster-

The media coverage of the BP oil disaster to date has focused largely on the threats to wildlife, but the latest evaluation of air monitoring data shows a serious threat to human health from airborne chemicals emitted by the ongoing deepwater gusher.

Today the Louisiana Environmental Action Network released its analysis of air monitoring test results by the Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA's air testing data comes from Venice, a coastal community 75 miles south of New Orleans in Louisiana's Plaquemines Parish.

The findings show that levels of airborne chemicals have far exceeded state standards and what's considered safe for human exposure.

For instance, hydrogen sulfide has been detected at concentrations more than 100 times greater than the level known to cause physical reactions in people. Among the health effects of hydrogen sulfide exposure are eye and respiratory irritation as well as nausea, dizziness, confusion and headache.

The concentration threshold for people to experience physical symptoms from hydrogen sulfide is about 5 to 10 parts per billion. But as recently as last Thursday, the EPA measured levels at 1,000 ppb. The highest levels of airborne hydrogen sulfide measured so far were on May 3, at 1,192 ppb.

Testing data also shows levels of volatile organic chemicals that far exceed Louisiana's own ambient air standards. VOCs cause acute physical health symptoms including eye, skin and respiratory irritation as well as headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea and confusion.

Louisiana's ambient air standard for the VOC benzene, for example, is 3.76 ppb, while its standard for methylene chloride is 61.25 ppb. Long-term exposure to airborne benzene has been linked to cancer, while the EPA considers methylene chloride a probable carcinogen.

Air testing results show VOC concentrations far above these state standards. On May 6, for example, the EPA measured VOCs at levels of 483 ppb. The highest levels detected to date were on April 30, at 3,084 ppb, following by May 2, at 3,416 ppb.

www.southernstudies.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A lot of your figures are in parts per billlion. While there is an increased concentration in benzene and many other chemicals, Benzene doesn't reach toxicity until 700-3000 parts per million. Source: Article on Benzene

At the levels your title suggest for Hydrogen sulfide all that is going to happen is irritated eyes nose and throat (if you convert ppb to ppm that is). It is when it reaches 10 ppm that you start to worry and it can cause some problems, and above 50 ppm is toxic. Hydrogen Sulfide Safety

No death clouds here. Just some sniffling noses and a higher demand for chicken soup.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sir Solomon

I think that it is far more serious than teary eyes and nose runs.
BP has used and continues to use the dispersants Corexit 9500 and 9527 (1,100,000 gallons to date) to disperse the crude oil on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico and disperse the crude oil near the wellhead 5,000 feet below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico. The dispersants have the ability to increase chemical uptake in humans.

Headaches
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Abdominal Pains
Dizziness
Chest Pains and Tightness
Eye, Nose, Throat and Lung Irritation
Decreased Lung Function
Difficulty Breathing
Respiratory System Damage
Rapid Breathing
Asthma Attacks
Allergic Reactions
Skin Irritation, Damage, and Sensitization
Hypertension
Damage to Liver and Kidneys
Central Nervous System Depression
Neurotoxic Effects
Damage to Red Blood Cells
Genetic Damage and Mutations
Reproductive and Developmental Damage
Immune System Damage
Cardiac Arrhythmia
Cardiovascular Damage
Increased Severity of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

leanweb.org...

That is from fumes alone. Looking at skin contact with contaminates:

Vomiting
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Confusion
Loss of Balance
Eye, Nose, Throat and Lung Irritation
Difficulty Breathing
Respiratory Impacts
Chemical Pneumonia
Skin Irritation and Damage
Damage to Liver, Lungs, Kidneys and Respiratory System
Central Nervous System Effects
Neurological Damage
Blood Disorders
Blood Cancer - Leukemia
Aplastic Anemia
Mutations and Birth Defects
Infertility
Immune System Damage and Suppression
Cardiovascular System Stress
Gastrointestinal Disturbance
Endocrine Disruption
Hormone Level Disruption
Immune System Damage
Nervous System Damage

leanweb.org...

[edit on 15-6-2010 by burntheships]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As someone that lives in an area abundant in natural gas wells (that contain H2S) I have something to say here.

We actually have a warning system in place where one of the wells to leak because when released into the air at 50+ppm it is deadly in one breath. Lengthened exposure to H2S even at below 10ppm can still have some pretty adverse health effects.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
There would be little point for TPTB to panic the people as after what happened in the New Orleans hurricane when they herded the people into one place and forgot about them, I doubt anyone in their right mind would allow the government to her them into a FEMA camp!

So, perhaps they'll just wait until the people start to 'drop' of their own accord and also move out on their own accord.

This is a terrible tragedy already and potentially another in the making.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
H2S is nothing to fool with .

Companies I worked for on a rig drilling into a formation that is estimated as having high levels of H2S the deck hands will have gas masks on person while on the location site . If a warning went off put on the MASK if you smell rotten eggs PUT ON THE MASK . Around NW New Mexico we have lots of wells in production that have warning signs about H2S.

The safety meetings have covered H2S the instructor cited rigs where the whole crew died from inhalation of H2S from a sudden release of the gas . If you see some one pass out from suspected H2s release PUT on YOUR GAS MASK FIRST then see if you can help them . The instructor usually stressed helping others first but with H2S he changed to save your self first Put on the mask .

That was 15 years ago and still today I drive by a location with the H2S warning sign and I get worried .

Being so far from land it would have to release alot of H2S and if the wind is right before it could cause some real problems . I think the biggest danger is if your on a boat and sail in to a pocket of high concentration it wouldn't be good .

The gulf coast residents may consider keeping canneries or parakeets if the bird drops dead put on the gas mask or get out of dodge just like the miners of the 1900s used the birds as early warning devices .

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This just hit the news:

Gulf Coast Oil Spill Workers Falling Ill With TILT (VIDEO)

www.huffingtonpost.com...

new topics

top topics

join