It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can ATS reveal its number of visitors from the top 100 countries?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I think we as a collective should begin to think how we can include them and those other voices that wouldn't normally get heard. I know that language really is a barrier, but some kind of translation facility could be worked into the site. It may or may not take off, but at least a language barrier could be removed.

This needs some more thought and input.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove
reply to post by LordBucket

I think we as a collective should begin to think how we can include them and those other voices that wouldn't normally get heard. I know that language really is a barrier, but some kind of translation facility could be worked into the site. It may or may not take off, but at least a language barrier could be removed.

This needs some more thought and input.

As a collective , the internet adoptedEnglish as the international language of the net..it just is , it will not really change although arabic addresses will help etc,I am more interested in help for the deaf and blind ,which can be of any nationality having access to internet services as the able bodied do...

[edit on 13-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gambon

Good point. More disabled access is a must.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I am curious to know the volume of visitors ATS gets from the top 100 countries. Seeing as you guy use Google Analytics, this shouldn't be a problem. I started a thread about cultural diversity on ATS and am curious to see what countries visitors come from.

Intrigued too to see if ATS is currently filtered by any nations.

I see you recently joined ATS! Welcome...I am however wondering which three letter agency you work for?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
What's the reason for the English only rule anyway ? Is that just some historical thing or were there particular problems on ATS, way back ?

From the Terms and Conditions:

1i.) Language: The dominant language of our users and moderation staff is English. In order to promote a smooth-running environment and fair enforcement of these Terms & Conditions, you agree not to post or chat in any language other than English.

Also, it's the best way of guaranteeing (to a point
) that all people understand what everybody else is writing.

Se eu escrevesse em português terias mais dificuldade em entender o que eu queria dizer, mesmo em frases simples como esta.

(translation: If I wrote in Portuguese you would have more difficulty in understanding what I wanted to say, even in simple sentences like this one)

And automated translators are never as good as a human translator, as you can see if you try to translate my Portuguese sentence.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
If the top 10 is enough (at least for now), I know where to find it.

Just go to the Traffic And Content Statistics For AboveTopSecret.com page and look for the Traffic Overviews, there's a PDF file for each month from September 2006 up to March 2010.

Thanks! Checked that out, but what the heck is 'Bounce Rate'??

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad

I am curious to know the volume of visitors ATS gets from the top 100 countries. Seeing as you guy use Google Analytics, this shouldn't be a problem. I started a thread about cultural diversity on ATS and am curious to see what countries visitors come from.

Intrigued too to see if ATS is currently filtered by any nations.

I see you recently joined ATS! Welcome...I am however wondering which three letter agency you work for?

My own! Always believed in the power of one. And thank you for the welcome.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Online translators are great fun ... babelfish I use regularly.

"Eu penso que o ATS é um lugar maravilhoso. Mas precisa de ser mais inclusivo para aqueles que não falam o inglês como uma primeira língua. Eu penso que nós devemos ter um ATS África, ATS Europa… e ATS America do Norte. Desde que os povos aderem aos termos e condições, sua falta de habilidades inglesas não deve ser um problema."

I don't doubt the above didn't entirely come out as intended ... but you get the jist of it, surely ? I meant "I think ATS is a wonderful place. But it needs to be more inclusive for those who do not speak English as a first language. I think we should have an ATS Africa, ATS Europe ... and ATS North America. Provided people adhere to the terms and conditions, their lack of English skills ought not be a problem."

I've never writ anything in Portuguese before. So there's a first. I've actually learned something today from my ATS membership !

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX

Originally posted by ArMaP
If the top 10 is enough (at least for now), I know where to find it.

Just go to the Traffic And Content Statistics For AboveTopSecret.com page and look for the Traffic Overviews, there's a PDF file for each month from September 2006 up to March 2010.

Thanks! Checked that out, but what the heck is 'Bounce Rate'??

Bounce rate is essentially the number of site visitors clicking away from the site without exploring it further. When you start looking at this Google Analytics, things become quite interesting. Without wanting to sound like a geek, it is almost addictive. Pay-per-click campaigns, website optimization was my job for a while.

Edit: Note to self. Proof read posts first!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Thanks Larry!
Interesting!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrionHunterX
reply to post by LarryLove

Thanks Larry!
Interesting!

You are welcome.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
reply to post by ArMaP

Online translators are great fun ... babelfish I use regularly.

"Eu penso que o ATS é um lugar maravilhoso. Mas precisa de ser mais inclusivo para aqueles que não falam o inglês como uma primeira língua. Eu penso que nós devemos ter um ATS África, ATS Europa… e ATS America do Norte. Desde que os povos aderem aos termos e condições, sua falta de habilidades inglesas não deve ser um problema."

I don't doubt the above didn't entirely come out as intended ... but you get the jist of it, surely ? I meant "I think ATS is a wonderful place. But it needs to be more inclusive for those who do not speak English as a first language. I think we should have an ATS Africa, ATS Europe ... and ATS North America. Provided people adhere to the terms and conditions, their lack of English skills ought not be a problem."

I've never writ anything in Portuguese before. So there's a first. I've actually learned something today from my ATS membership !

I really think you are on to something with regards to ATS Africa, ATS South America etc. With the right translation technology afforded through the increased advertising revenue, ATS could become the New World Order.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Yes, online translators are fun, and in the Portuguese version I could understand what you meant, but in part that was because I know English enough to see where the translator was wrong.

Also, just having an European version (for example), would bring some problems. Would we have a forum for each language? The EU only has 23 official languages (along with 3 non-official languages that are also used in some areas), now imagine if we had to add all other languages.

Or we could all learn Esperanto.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join