It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Solar Reboot can change Earth's rotation, Part I

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by GrassyKnoll

I'm not saying I believe that the Earth will reverse rotation I am just saying the posibility needs to be discussed rationally.

But it's not a rational idea. And if for some reason it did happen, so what? All life on Earth would perish. Except maybe a few deep oceanic and sub surface microbes etc.

We'd be back where we started 3,500 million years ago.

(I think a lot of people fail to appreciate just how fast the Earth is rotating - over 1,000mph at the equator)

It's only a rational idea if a large enough magnetic/gravitational disturbance were to occur and affect the earth.

As for all life virtually being lost; I don't believe it would be. Much life would be lost and immense geologic disturbances would occur but life is resilient. It would all depend on how violent the geological disturbance are and how prepared humans are to deal with them.

One thing though that stands out and disturbs me; during a magnetic pole reversal the earth's magnetic field strength approaches zero. According to wikipedia geomagnetic reversals happen on a timescale of 0.1 - 1 million years. The last known reversal was about 170,000 yrs ago.

While there has definitely been a large geomagnetic excursion the past 100 yrs or so...a full geomagnetic reversal in the 21 st century is by no means impossible nor improbable. It's the dynamo effect that has me concerned.

On a small laboratory scale dynamo's will reverse rotation during magnetic pole reversals. Another factor yet to be mentioned in this thread is ice ages; the reasons for them , their physical manifestation and affectation of the earth.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
I could go over his kooky clams, but here is a link that show how kooky he is.

www.2012hoax.org...

I went to this site.

The first topic they want to "de-bunk" Ivan Stein on is Magnetic Reversals.

Here is a quote of the first sentence:

Stein claims that reversals of the Earth's magnetic field are caused by objects hitting the Earth, reversing it's actual rotation.

Stein never said any object will hit the earth nor will it cause a magnetic reversal. This de-bunker is spouting nonsense.

The thing I like about Ivan Stein's lectures is that he NEVER says the earth WILL reverse it's rotational direction; he says it MAY reverse.

He presents possibilities. The de-bunker you linked is inaccurate.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GrassyKnoll

Stein never said any object will hit the earth nor will it cause a magnetic reversal. This de-bunker is spouting nonsense.

So your claim is that your ignorance of what the 2012hoax .org site is discussing means something? Your argument is that you are unaware of issues being discussed therefore they are wrong.

The thing I like about Ivan Stein's lectures is that he NEVER says the earth WILL reverse it's rotational direction; he says it MAY reverse.

That shows that he is wrong. Because it can't reverse.

He presents possibilities. The de-bunker you linked is inaccurate.

In the case of rotation of the Earth he is presenting an impossibility, unless the Earth were impacted by an object probably the size of the Moon or larger. Therefore Stein is wrong.

www.youtube.com...
I watched part of this video and it is about as wacko as wacko can get.

If the Earth stopped moving suddenly large portions of the crust would melt. That has been discussed since the 50s when Velikovsky came up with his claim that the Earth stopped rotating.
If the Earth stopped rotating, people at the equator along with much of the loose surface material would be thrown far as they would be braked while moving at 1000mph.

Every volcano erupts? Earth enters a form of nuclear winter?

Who cares when the crust melts?

Thinks that the red soils and materials were red when they were planted there.

They are red due to oxygen in our atmosphere.
His claim that all rocks are created from volcanoes is incorrect. Evaporites are not volcanic. Intrusives such as granite are not volcanic. Limestones are not volcanic in origin.

He asks why there are fossils in granite. Please show me a fossil in granite.

I got 4 minutes into that stupid talk of his and had to stop to avoid nausea.
edit on 9-9-2011 by stereologist because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join