It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What rifle is best for SHTF situation?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
As the discussion on handguns kinda broadened out into other weaponry, i thought it might be a good idea to open a thread dealing specifically with rifles/shotguns etc.
The SHTF scenario would be open warfare/survival.
The timid need not apply this is not for you.
Or the overly sensitive.
This is merely a mental exercise to see what people would choose for their own survival.
Ok disclaimer done.

My personal choice would be,
Lewis Machine Tool Piston 16 MRP with a spare 18" barrel for hunting.
I love the way you can swap barrels on this AR with just one screw.

Just one of my favorites to get things started.
Anybody out there got some suggestions?
I will post pics of my favs just as soon as i figure out how.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Cosmic4life]

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Something with multiple functionalities.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e5985719be48.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Socom2 with 20 round springfield mags nothing says stay away from me like this gun and you can hunt game with it also.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Star for that one dude!

I gotta get me one of those Swiss Army rifles!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Mossberg 12 gauge is my personal favorite as far as shotguns go. For your rifle I would be impartial to an AK47 or SKS.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

haha, hes got his keys on the bottem

i keep a 30-30.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
IF something were to SHTF in Australia, I'd get my hands on a reliable Mosin-Nagant 91/30, with a modern 10x scope.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ventian

No offense but neither one of those weapons has much range to them. They are 200 yard guns at best. And even at that range you would have to very skilled shot to keep a tight group. They are cheap and that is for a good reason. I do like the 7.62x39 just not out of those guns.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
A rifle that:
1. is affordable (right now)
2. ammo is affordable and abundant (right now)
3. is reliable
4. is accurate
5. is manageable for your size/strength level
6. requires minimal maintenance
7. fits your specific need (i.e., if you don't need a gun with a grenade launcher, then don't get one that has that capability....a joke, but you get my drift)
8. is light weight (travel may be far...and every ounce you carry limits your range)
9. others in your family (or survival group) can mange, as they may be the one's using it someday
10..... (add more, but those are important)

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Id go with a solid .308 with modified stock. Its a good round, its got good range, and good knock down power. And id pop on a decent scope.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask

Id go with a solid .308 with modified stock. Its a good round, its got good range, and good knock down power. And id pop on a decent scope.

I got a Ruger .308...I love it. But I love my Ruger .270 more. Both great guns though...plenty enough to get the job done. I also have a Winchester 30-06, which I inherited, but have successfully harvested a deer with it the one time I have ever shot it.

It's all about personal preference, as if you know how to shoot, then it matter not which gun you use...,.so long as you aren't hunting big game with a .22

[edit on 12-6-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Sounds like your describing one of the many AR15's out there.
Such as the LMT piston 16 MRP.
Great rifles, easy to maintain,loads of ammo,upgradable.
Bushmasters,Para's,DPMS etc
Great thing about the LMT though is that you can change caliber's from AR15 5.56/.223 to AR 10 7.62/.308.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Remington 700 .308

Affordable and it can reach out there.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
AK-47 assault rifle. Doesn't jam, abundant ammunition, never over heats. Of course it's hard to come across one, or not if you know the right people.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I read this forum but seldom post here. You guys are the experts. I was thinking though that if the SHTF, buying stuff goes right out the window. Wouldn't a rifle/SG that ammo can be made for not be a consideration? Hell, you might have to make your own gunpowder.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
From personal experience the AR15 would be a fine choice. There would be many parts to be had if the SHTF. Most important is ammo. 7.62 is a NATO round. There will be ammo all over for this unless you intend to go overseas.
The sights on older models can easily be dialed in with a nail to move the sights.

My first choice for a weapon in a long term scenario is ammo availability. Problem is most models that we can buy lawfully do not have the 3 round and full auto burst. Still a good weapon when you proficient.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by IntelRetard]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Edit: Having a problem with syntax tonight.

[edit on 12-6-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Get yourself a 50 cal with titanium tip bullets, it will cut thru a car like butter. check the gun out on u-tube.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IntelRetard

hmmm, I did not think of ammo availability. I guess if i thought about it long enough, i suppose i would of thought about it eventually. good one.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

Not just ammo availability but also endurance to loads that aren't factory loads. That's what the guns are designed for. If you've got to make your own loads how long will the weapon last? Once it's worn it makes a good club. I just thought it was important.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join