It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's ALWAYS tried to do down Britain

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
A Modest Proposal

Perhaps if President Obama were to start referring to BP as "Bush Petroleum" and imply that the previous president was somehow responsible for the Gulf Oil Disaster, he could mollify concerned Britons, deflect blame onto a popular scapegoat, rally his drifting base and score major political points here at home.

The perfect solution!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Imagine if this had been a US oil major like Exxon, etc. off the coast of Britain (not even to mention an eternally-morally-stainless locale such as, say, France or Scandinavia). It would be an America-bash-a-thon from morning to night trumpeted via every form of global media, mainstream and otherwise. You'd never hear the end of it.

I'd say that in comparison, the UK is getting off rather lightly.

That said, I am compelled to note that I do consider it wrong to tar and feather Britain per se for this tragedy...just as I would consider America-bashing in the aforementioned situation to be wrong, too.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Did you read the post by Ulala on the last page?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Cauch1

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Well, its a Daily Fail artical & we can always rely on them to try to drum up some patriotism in whatever ways they can. I expect that if you asked an average Brit what they thought of the statements of pretty much any politician the world over, they'd say something like "hot air for effect", if they were being polite!
That said, Obama doesn't have anyone better than the engineers working for BP to fix this problem; he's not responsible for the regulatory regime that allowed such a risky well to be drilled: if he doesn't want to state these facts & just admit that there is nothing he can do, he ought to just stop flapping his mouth, because damaging BPs stock price is not going to help. On the contrary, if BP go under, the US taxpayer will be left with the bill.
It'll be interesting to see if anyone does try to takeover BP & how close to Obama they are...

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Do you think this isnt a serious matter? Do you know the MESS that company caused in the gulf?? Have you seen the pictures? You know some people lost their lives as the result of this spill? And all you come down and say to us here is that 'accidents happen' 'criticism to BP is criticism towards Britain'. People like you are just unbelievable, and meanwhile we have people on the rightwing complaining and crying that the president isnt saying or doing enough.

That isn't what this is about. It is about how despite the fact that the British government constantly supports the US nothing is given in return.

And all you come down and say to us here is that 'accidents happen' 'criticism to BP is criticism towards Britain'.

That is not what people are saying. They are saying that it is wrong for people to criticise the British for BPs mistakes, not that it is wrong to criticise BP.

Originally posted by arbiture
If an American based company peed in your territorial waters you'd be screaming to.

The people and some of the media yes. However considering the way the British government has acted in the past it is doubtful that they would attack the US, they'd be more likely to say how it isn't the US's fault. Then again there is a new government, so I suppose there is always a chance that they would act differently.

Britain has always had a raw deal out of this "special relationship". I don't see why the British government continuously supports America for so little in return.

I did like your suggestion though Majic

-Cauch1

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
reply to post by silent thunder

Did you read the post by Ulala on the last page?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Cauch1

Yes. And to reiterate, in my own post I specifically stated that it is unfair to target either nation in such cases.

That doesn't change the fact that millions do, and will continue to.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
A Modest Proposal

Perhaps if President Obama were to start referring to BP as "Bush Petroleum" and imply that the previous president was somehow responsible for the Gulf Oil Disaster, he could mollify concerned Britons, deflect blame onto a popular scapegoat, rally his drifting base and score major political points here at home.

The perfect solution!

I love that idea haha

Come on Cameron...he needs to talk back. We're not going to stand this

But I see where Obama is coming from - he's unpopular and with the mid-term elections coming up, trying to do whatever he can to gain the trust of the public...*shakes head* Not good for him.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cauch1
That isn't what this is about.

Exactly, it has little to nothing to do with Britain, but evidently as the corporate hackjobs working overtime would have us believe, any criticism towards BP must be some attack on Britain. It is a way to deflect from accountability.

That is not what people are saying.

Here is the OP's comment again:
"The latest continual bashing of BP for what is undeniably an accident"

Go back to the OP and show me where has he/she once given recognition to BP's irrisponsibility in the gulf. Show me where in the OP, because I didnt see a thing.

SG

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
To even insinuate this is or should or will....become a country against country issue is reprehensible.

This is not an issue....unless you make it one.

Do I really need to explain this has nothing to do with the UK, it's government, or it's people?

This is about an oil corporation and the destruction that looms over us?

I hope there won't be any more of these threads. The last thing we need is for the UK to rise up all defensive, and take this personally.

This is a nasty little thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thank you for restoring our sanity.

Will thus depart hearwith.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
C'mon, who can bash the Brits, those fine folks who gave us Gorgo and British Petroleum?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0eb36e458626.gif[/atsimg]

Now that I think of it, there may be a connection between Gorgo and BP...

— Doc Velocity

thats hilarious good show,

though i think prehaps we can resolve this well by establishing a different definition of for BP it is an acronym isnt it? so lets look at a list,

first id like to point out what wikipedia says, though i know you guys dont like wikipedia,

In 2001 the company formally renamed itself as BP plc[30] and adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum," which remains in use today. It states that BP was never meant to be an abbreviation of its tagline.

so bp isnt an abreviation, it just looks like one, and coincidentaly their choosen new and old taglines do abreviate to BP,

so what else could it abbreviate?, personaly i like Blue Petroleum, since its mixed with all that blue ocean now,

but here are some others,

Binding Protein
Border Patrol (US)
Blood Pressure (medical)
Bishop
Blueprint
Best Practice
Boiling Point
Bipolar Disorder
Black Power
Block Party
Beautiful People
Board Policy
Beer Pong
Boston Pizza (Canada)
Belief Propagation (decoding)
Birthplace
Black Powder
Bits and Pieces
Black Panthers
Black Pearl
Borderline Personality
Boilerplate
Bharat Petroleum
Big Planet (national ISP)
Blackplanet.com
Boat People (people escaping Vietnam by boat after 1975)
Boîte Postale
Before Present
Blue Peter (UK TV show)
Bell's Palsy (aka Acute Idiopathic Facial Palsy)
Bolivar Peninsula (near Galveston Island, TX, USA)
Blister Pack
Borland Pascal (successor to Borland Turbo Pascal)
Beyond Pesticides
Base Pointer
Big Pun (rapper)
Bayernpartei (German Party)
Blowpipe (old anti-aircraft weapon)
Bearing Point
Booster Pump
Binding Post
Best Papers
Bill of Particulars
Benny Parsons (former Nascar Driver)
Bollard Pull
Bill Period
Black Plate (steel)
Battle Position
Behavioral Psychologist
Batas Pambansa (National Law, Philippines)
Billposter
Boundary Point
Bills Payable
Biological Processing
Billpoint (payment method)
Bootstrap Probability
Blocking Probability (telephony)
Blocking Position
Bloque Popular (Spanish: Popular Bloc, Honduras)
Boost Pump
Booklet Pane (philately)
Blade Pro
BuddyProfile (AIM chat)
Boogiepop Phantom (anime)
Beginning Period
Buried Penis
Boundary Post (UK maps)
British Pathé
Bermuda Plan (accommodation)
Blood Point (RPG Vampire the Masquerade, produced by White-Wolf) Air Botswana Corporation (IATA airline code)
Bow Pulpit (nautical measure)
Block Parity
Billing Percentage
Bonum Publicum (Latin: the Public Good)
Beef Palace (National Western Stock Show, Denver, CO)
Battlefield Position
Bonding Protocol (ISDN)
Borrowed Personnel
Base/Basic Pay
Batch Prep (program utility)
Binary Phoenix (website)
Bekleder-Parachutepakker
Baloola Palooza (entertainment news website)
Buginesia Program
Build Plan
Building Paper (constru

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Or Black Poison

Get it

*sighs and shrinks shoulders*

[edit on 11/6/2010 by BlackPoison94]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Here is the OP's comment again:
"The latest continual bashing of BP for what is undeniably an accident"

Go back to the OP and show me where has he/she once given recognition to BP's irrisponsibility in the gulf. Show me where in the OP, because I didnt see a thing.

SG

Actually, if you head back to OUR conversation on the first page, you can see I said exactly who was responsible. Why not just hold your hands up, and admit you've got the wrong end of the stick entirely.

You're now simply trying to condone the way you threw your toys out of the pram before seeing everybody else has discussed the actual issues raised in a civilized manner, and not as in your case claimed I'm trying to shift accountability.

Which has been clear throughout, I'm not shifting the blame from the incompetent idiots at all.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

Our President is dumb, yes he hates or dislikes all Anglos, that showed when he recently checked Black on the census form instead of Multi-Racial or even American.... Sorry but we have another dummy in the white house.

I should also add, that we do indeed have a very good standing with the British Army. But no one really pays attention to the fact that our two nations are so intertwined that an Insult to the British People is an Insult to American People....

[edit on 11-6-2010 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

While i think this article is a bit of a overreaction.The Uk is our greatest ally and the one country in the world (in my opinion) that deserves our full trust and cooperation. I personally believe we should stand by the UK even tho they dont need our help militarily we should be right behind them anyway after all they are always right behind us we should return the favor

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
For all our English members.... I'm an American and I love England.

England and the US need to remain friends. Goodness knows, on this planet, friends are in short supply.

I often think that the politicians in the US don't even love Americans let alone people from England.

But from one citizen of the US to the citizens of England... You rock!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Back at ya friend!!

It's a shame Obama is using the situation for political gains and trying to blame anyone he can. To be honest, I think it's beyond the point of finger pointing and blaming, he should be acting like a diplomat and trying to work with BP to find a soloution and stop acting like a child.
It was the US goverment that allowed the deep sea drilling in the first place, it should shoulder some of the blame.
That last comment does not mean that BP is blameless but he is hurting both the US and Britian's average joes's pension fund with his constant bashing.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Kurokage]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
How about

BP = Broken Pipe

That's just the first thing comes to me.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The British and the Americans are not represented by their so-called leaders, like Bush, Brown, Obama, or the Crown.
They are in a different club. They are in the liars and manipulators club. The club that can borrow, steal/lose trillions. The club that can direct highly trained men and women to destroy images on a monitor...watch them fly apart.

You can tell what club you are in, it is easy. You, British and Americans, are in the OTHER club, if you owe the trillions, you get jailed for not paying into their club, and you are the ones pushing the buttons destroying the images on the monitor.

Of course, there is a third club, but you actually KNOW if you are a member of that exclusive club. It is the WIDE AWAKE club, it is hard to distract them with threads like this, for instance.

Edit to add:
The first two clubs will generally work to destroy the third club. The W.A. club understands this, but would rather die than join the either of the first two.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Stewie]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Whats with all this trying to shift the blame onto others?

As BP's share price has plummeted, it has lost £55billion of its market value, and the company's entire outlook is very bleak, which affects most of us. Every British insurance company, building society and pension fund has large holdings of BP shares in its portfolio.

If you have a pension, at present or in prospect, your income falls with every sour word Obama speaks. It's a fine way for a friend to behave, if indeed we should regard the president as a friend.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

If the British want to be mad at anyone for screwing up their pensions, blame the guys who were running BP and cutting corners on safety in order to make more money. Dont blame the President whose country is getting a bath in the oil spilled by BP.

If Britain thinks "friendship" means never criticizing anything your "friends" do, then I think they have the whole concept backwards. You friends not only should criticize you, they are obligated to. Besides, has Britain completely given up the concept of being a free nation? Or are they essentially admitting that they need a name change from the UK to BP, inc?

I knew the line between nations and corporations was blurring, but really, have you given up all pretense of separation? And one last bit of advice, this is the reason our grandparents said things like "dont put all your eggs in one basket." No one company should be so important to a country that it cannot be allowed to fall or pay for its crimes/mistakes.

None of our countries would be in this sort of a mess if we hadnt allowed our own greed, and the greed of our leaders to allow individual businesses to grow to the size of nations, and have inordinate influence over our leaders.

Obama isnt to blame for that. Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions or lack thereof.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join