It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's ALWAYS tried to do down Britain

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Typical British over-sensitivity to criticism.

Instead of complaining about how Obama is picking on you because you tortured his father and destroyed our once beautiful southern beaches, how about joining in with effort to help with the clean up to show your solidarity with the cause.

Last time I checked I didn't see any Brits down there with bottles of Dawn and a bucket of warm water, bottles of Becks maybe............

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I just think the fact that America is now going to get so totally ass invaded by OIL is pretty good evidence that what goes around comes back around.
I bet they're all laughing their asses off at you in Iraq too.
Seriously, I read about all the outraged americans whining about the evils of 'big oil companies' and how 'cutting corners' lead to this disaster but who do these morons think the oil was for?, since it started leaking maybe the amount of oil america uses in an hour or two has leaked out.
As America has brewed, so now shall she drink.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Charming. We wish you well, too.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Yes, because I am sure you live in a country that isnt oil dependent. Clearly, sitting at your computer, you are just a gentle hunter gatherer, whose economic activity is doing no damage to the environment. Hypocrite.

You are not very bright if you think an oil spill of this magnitude is something you should be applauding, no mater how anti-American you may be. That ocean isnt landlocked in the US you know. While we will have the greatest devastation of our coastlines, that mess is going to affect all of us, whether we know it and see it immediately or not.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Instead of complaining about how Obama is picking on you because you tortured his father and destroyed our once beautiful southern beaches, how about joining in with effort to help with the clean up to show your solidarity with the cause.

Last time I checked I didn't see any Brits down there with bottles of Dawn and a bucket of warm water, bottles of Becks maybe............

Retseh, I'm feeling ignored. Why aren't you responding to my posts? Aren't you worried about your pension? Like I said 40% of BP's dividends got to US pension funds.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

Maybe if the people from your country weren't constantly spewing hatred against our country and the people from it, we'd give a rat's behind if your dumb prime minister doesn't like the trashy DVDs he gets from our dumb President. Maybe if your still primarily British-based Petroleum company didn't just utterly destroy thousands of miles of our coastline and permanently wreck the livelihoods of thousands of our citizens, and our taxpayers weren't stuck sitting here waiting to see if we're going to get stuck footing the bill for the cleanup, we'd be less critical of that company.

Until you realize that your country has been seething with hatred for ours for quite some time now, go cry me a river. Try not to fill it with oil.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

If the British want to be mad at anyone for screwing up their pensions, blame the guys who were running BP and cutting corners on safety in order to make more money. Dont blame the President whose country is getting a bath in the oil spilled by BP.

No company is going to pay extra money on equipment that is not requiered by law. it is not good buisness sence. perhaps the we should blame the country who seem to be behind the times when it comes to saftey regulations. I assume you are referring to the accoustic trigger on the BOP (which is not required by US law).

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well Britain will down America tommorow at the world cup!

But seriously i have no doubts Obama has negative thoughts about Britain and i bet our goverment has the same for Obama.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This article is not America bashing. It is Obama bashing. He has earned it. I didn't vote for him, but was willing to give him a chance. I was hopeful, too...but skeptical. I was skeptical because he is young, inexperienced, and we don't know him. And it seems my skepticism was well founded.

He has destroyed his reputation on his own, and it is extending beyond our shores.

BP has a horrible safety record, and has so many more "egregious violations" than the rest of the industry combined, that i cannot believe that anyone will license them to drill in their country:

www.fastcompany.com...

Between June 2007 and February 2010, BP recieved 760 egregious citations across 6 refineries. The 145 other refineries in the US combined received only 1

Now, think about that ratio.

The definition of an "egregious" violation?

Willful and flagrant

which is worse than:

Willful - Intentional disregard for employee safety

and

Serious - Substantial probability of death of injury

That doesn't sound so good.

Edit to add: Britain is no more responsible for this than the US is responsible for the Union Carbide debacle from India. 15,000 people died in that one.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

We deserve it.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The only thing that's boggling my mind is the title of the story.

"America's always tried to do down Britain".

Should it be "tries"?

Or "America IS ALWAYS TRYING to do down Britain"?

Are they trying to say, "America has always tried to do down Britain", because I never knew "has" could be a contraction.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

We deserve it.

Second line.

Thank you for saying that. Neither of us are perfect. Nobody knows that better than the Brits and the Americans. I would tell you the U.S. is not perfect, either, but you already know that.

However, we don't deserve this oil nightmare either. Nobody does. It's Earth, no matter the geographical location.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is in response to the several members that show there moral support for Britain, well at least the British people. I'd just like to say the feelings are one hundred percent mutual, I have a great admiration of your nation and hold no other nation on this planet in higher regard.

You are unquestionably our most trusted, and most understood alley and the one that I'd hope if I had to fight alongside somebody it'd be you guys. Not purely due to your power, but due to how I respect your peoples morality.

A bit heartfelt I know, but felt I had to make that clear in light of a few of the responses. It's a shame though that many don't appreciate the level of our understanding, and cannot handle friendly banter and patriotism.

I wound up liking this thread, thought it had all gone wrong on page 1.

Final note though, I wont be wishing you one single bit of luck tomorrow! I hope both our sets of lads do us proud though, and if we lose, which we wont! I'll, hmm, I dunno, I'll call Football by the name Soccer for one month. I'll get some stick for that believe me!

If the impossible happens and you win, it'll be your flag I'll be backing.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Is the Kenyan in the White House attempting to unsettle the UK/US 'special relationship'?

The Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC) was founded in 1908 following the discovery of a large oil field in Masjed Soleiman, Iran. It was the first company to extract oil from the Middle East. In 1935 APOC was renamed the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC) and in 1954 became the British Petroleum Company (BP), one of the antecedents of the modern BP Plc. (wiki)

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

Maybe if the people from your country weren't constantly spewing hatred against our country and the people from it, we'd give a rat's behind if your dumb prime minister doesn't like the trashy DVDs he gets from our dumb President. Maybe if your still primarily British-based Petroleum company didn't just utterly destroy thousands of miles of our coastline and permanently wreck the livelihoods of thousands of our citizens, and our taxpayers weren't stuck sitting here waiting to see if we're going to get stuck footing the bill for the cleanup, we'd be less critical of that company.

Until you realize that your country has been seething with hatred for ours for quite some time now, go cry me a river. Try not to fill it with oil.

I think you get that bashing in equal measures from both sides, only experience has taught me to as best I can avoid getting drawn in. I've always put it down to hope deep our knowledge of each other is and how intertwined we are to this day in so many aspects.

I'm sorry this ever happened, but not sorry because I feel my nations holds any blame. I'm sorry because it's a horrible situation, one that I wouldn't wish on any people, let alone on what I view as my mother, earth and all the beauties within it.

There are no qualms of you being critical of the company, the issues raised and that of a statesmen being critical seemingly of a nation. A nation that is in no way shape or form to blame.

The argument is 'they used to be called British petroleum, so stop shifting the blame.' Just because a name contains the same name as our Kingdom, that does not mean our Kingdom is too blame. At least, I don't see the logic in that.

I'm repeating myself now anyway, but I'd just like to make it clear yet again. I fully understand your annoyance, anger and even Hatred of BP. I do not understand a lead figure handle international relations in such a mannor when it not only effects relations, it'll make so many feeble minded fools feel Britain is too blame.

I'm not the most intelligent person on earth, but even I can see how it has just that. Tarnished the name of British people, for something that has no relation to us except a formerly chosen name of a now international company.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

I'd love to know how "we" "destroyed" your "souther beaches," please enlighten me as to how I and the British people are any more responsible for it than, I dunno, say you are responsible for it?

You in actual fact highlight one of my primary interests in this article, the idea that Obama is only going to lead astray people such as yourself so that they/you wind up blaming Britain.

Thank you.

Edit: I really don't know why I even bother responding. There's some thing that'll never change.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Don't agree with the Daily Mail article. While Obama is taking action a bit late but he id doing it right. He is not targeting Britain imo.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I do indeed find it strange that he is refering to it as british petroleum, it does seem that he is doing to to get at britian.

What makes it seem even more like he is taking a hit at Britian is the Share Ownership stats

www.bp.com...

As you can see British shareholders make up for 40% and Americans 39%

Pretty even really in the blame

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I remember the advertisments when they switched from British Petroleum to BP.

better people, better products, big picture, BP - Beyond Petroleum

Anyway, please don't fall for this BS. The American people have no problems with the good people of the UK. This is a media created lie.
I don't know anyone here in the states that thinks that way.

More divide and conquer tactics. The Brits and Americans make for a strong alliance and there really isn't a country in the world that could defeat us as long as we stick together. Perhaps there are some people in the world that would like to see that bond weakened.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
I just think the fact that America is now going to get so totally ass invaded by OIL is pretty good evidence that what goes around comes back around.
I bet they're all laughing their asses off at you in Iraq too.
Seriously, I read about all the outraged americans whining about the evils of 'big oil companies' and how 'cutting corners' lead to this disaster but who do these morons think the oil was for?, since it started leaking maybe the amount of oil america uses in an hour or two has leaked out.
As America has brewed, so now shall she drink.

You've just shown that we have in equal measure looking to pin the blame in entirely the wrong place, nobody is to blame for this except for... BP Staff that where involved, The BP organisation, and perhaps some governmental organisations that may later be shown to be incompetent.

A nations people, like you and I control absolutely sweet FA. So with that being said, The Canadian, and Australian citizens are just as much to blame by association as the British and American citizens. The peoples only involvement is hurt, loss and anger (and many other negative end results I'm sure I didn't consider.)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join