It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's ALWAYS tried to do down Britain

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
And so it all goes back to the old saying. "Oh your from Europe?" "The country we saved or the one whos ass we kicked" Quit whining

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
The American people have no problems with the good people of the UK. This is a media created lie.

That is good to hear, I wasn't sure if the minority that have responded to this thread in a way in which suggests we as British are to blame reflect the feelings of many Americans.

No saying more true than "ignorance is bliss," it's just good to know the majority aren't so ignorant as I perhaps foolishly contemplated.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mikellmikell

sorry i can't leave it alone ...yes you saved us...when exactly was this? if it's what i think it is then when did you join in?
and ok you kicked our arses...could have sworn once we recalled most of our troops to britain 'cos france joined you and they pretty much live next door, then they were a bigger threat....that's right! FRANCE were a bigger threat! things got a a bit easier for you!

peace

friendly banter only

[edit on 11-6-2010 by consulmac]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This thread for me has done its course, before this continues to degrade into a patriot driven slagging match I'd like to put my vote into closing the thread.

Or alternatively, am I as the OP able to do this myself?

For me, ATS isn't about this patriotic nonsense.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_

My opinion UK mainstream media lends too much credibility to blogs, many of which are shotty commentaries for people speculating from every possible angle. There are a couple of journalist from Bloomberg (UK) and BBC who are being terribly irresponsible with the info they are publishing, and making thing worst for BP shareholders. The US (wall st in particular) is catching all kinds of blame for tanking stock. Fact is there were global shareholder (40% are US investors) Goldman and other major shareholders were massively selling off BP the very moment the rig exploded. Nothing stings like losing a bunch of money on an incident like this, but goes to show you that even a huge company like BP are not immune to market hits, and stocks are risky business. That Transocean company collected a $400M insurance policy for the sunk rig which was twice what it was worth, and they were cutting their dividend checks when the explosion occurred. If BP can't get a handle on their stock freefall there is a chance they will be subjected to a takeover on deflated shares alone.

What a good way to get your hands on low price shares........Sell them while their high, buy them back along with controlling majority..... after they crash. Its not rocket science its TPTB playing Monopoly with our planet its just a shame they have a "get out of jail" card. It was probably the reason they all had that cozy meeting , by the way Obama also attended.

I have noticed the stupidity of the MSM lately, its like the 80's never happened
BP is Not and never will be again British.
The Question we all have to worry about is.....what if it is the plan to cancel the US deficit? is this just the tip of a very catastrophic iceberg?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by DreamerOracle]

[edit on 11-6-2010 by DreamerOracle]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by Sed Non Credo
What are talking about? I'm genuinely confused,

Do you think this isnt a serious matter? Do you know the MESS that company caused in the gulf?? Have you seen the pictures? You know some people lost their lives as the result of this spill? And all you come down and say to us here is that 'accidents happen' 'criticism to BP is criticism towards Britain'. People like you are just unbelievable, and meanwhile we have people on the rightwing complaining and crying that the president isnt saying or doing enough.

Regardless of which company it was, don't forget that the company involved was able to get into the mess it was in, in part, through lax oversight by the US Government under Bush. They're 50/50 IMHO.

The fact BP used be called "British Petroleum" and is a mainly British company is just one of those things - they have to come from somewhere.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

Well, I don't like Obama. But I must say my disdain for the UK is growing each and every minute.

1) I hope BP is driven into bankruptcy.

2) I hope all the brits that have pensions through BP are destroyed.

3) The lizard Queen can kiss my arse.

Seriously, you are complaining about Obama giving crappy Christmas gifts, while your greedy corporation has single handedly destroyed my 2 favorite vacation spots? The gulf of Mexico??

I'll tell you what.

You can talk smack about America as soon as I see you cleaning some tar balls off some beaches.

No, on second thought, don't ever talk about America again.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You can talk smack about America as soon as I see you cleaning some tar balls off some beaches.

Better not start mentioning the two illegal wars you dragged us into then.

Bush and Blair want hauling in front of the Hauge. Bush for starting them, Blair for following like the lap dog he was and is. Must keep that oil flowing though, eh?
Oh, speaking of which...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
what do you mean "tried"?
don't you mean 'always HAS'?

America didn't "try" for independence from British rule.
America didn't "try" to save the Brits from the Huns.
America didn't "try" to save the Brits from the Huns AGAIN...

America DID those things. (apparently out of some misplaced sense of loyalty.)

...since you wanna get all uber-nationalist about it...

once more, for the record, America is going "to do down" the UK in at the 2010 World Cup! (yeah i know, it rolls out kinda lame.)

thats why WE ARE GOING TO KICK YOUR LIMEY A$$E$!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

Originally posted by downtown436

Well, I don't like Obama. But I must say my disdain for the UK is growing each and every minute.

Seriously, you are complaining about Obama giving crappy Christmas gifts, while your greedy corporation has single handedly destroyed my 2 favorite vacation spots? The gulf of Mexico??

I'll tell you what.

Well I tell you what bro, you keep going man, you are an inspiration to me. I just wish and pray each night before I go to sleep I could possess half of your knowledge. You go girlfriend, tell us naughty naughty Brits how it is.

You sure told me.

"Lizard Queen"

Edit: And for the record, it's no more "my corporation" than it is yours, or the little guy in Hiroshima for that fact. You know, the mutated guy that "you" made that way. (By your logic, "you" are culpable for that guy and the nuke)

And where the hell have I talked "smack" about America my esteemed collēga?

[edit on 11-6-2010 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
The worst accident in the British North Sea oilfields was the fire on board the Piper Alpha platform, when 167 men died. The rig was owned & operated by Occidental, headquartered in California USA.

I'll repeat that just so you take it in. 167 men either burned to death or drowned.

The Lord Cullen's judicial report into the accident made criticism of Occidental's lax safety & maintenance regime (mm, sound familiar ?) ... but at no time did his or media criticism of Occidental degenerate into general anti American sentiment.

That's what makes the whole British Petroleum thing so odd, with the company being routinely criticised by US commentators as foreign, hostile ... even though US shareholdings in BP almost match those of their British equivalents.

Accidents happen & that's to be expected in such difficult environments, although they do everything to prevent such things. What's not acceptable is that companies such as BP, Occidental and the rest are so large, are global in their spread that they seem outside the laws of just about every country, the USA included, their CEO's show no fear because they've got nothing to be scared about, they're almost untouchable. That's not acceptable.

One more example:
Bhopal disaster

The Bhopal disaster or Bhopal Gas Tragedy was an industrial catastrophe that occurred on the night of December 3, 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India. At that time, UCIL was the Indian subsidiary of the U.S. company Union Carbide Corporation (UCC), which is now a subsidiary of Dow Chemical Company. Around midnight on the intervening night of December 2–3, 1984, there was a leak of methyl isocyanate (MIC) gas and other toxins from the plant, resulting in the exposure of over 500,000 people. Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259 and the government of Madhya Pradesh has confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release.[1] Other government agencies estimate 15,000 deaths.

As the Union Carbide boss, Anderson knew about a 1982 safety audit of the Bhopal plant, which identified 30 major hazards. Rather than fix them in Bhopal, only the company's identical plant in the US was fixed. Neglecting these hazards in Bhopal caused the deadly explosion.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
the British rule Obama as they've done most every other POTUS... those they can't rule get taken out

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Apparently, you did not get the thread closed quite fast enough. Though I have to say I am sooooooo glad you didnt. That post by Downtown cracked me up big time.

Sooooo...........how is Queen Elizzzzzzzzzzzzabeth?

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
You know after following this story for a day or so I'm actually starting to sympathise with BP they are basicly being witch hunted when really it was an American crew on an America rig.

I'm really not one to side with corporations but I think the blame is being pushed here shouldn't we really be asking why the safety laws were so lax given a little foresight this could have easily predicted to happen sooner or later.

The whole gulf thing is a disaster but I think BP as a company are just unlucky in the huge game of russian roulette that was going on and sooner or later someone would have hit the bullet.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

I'm sure every British person has since been reduced to tears since you said this. Whatever shall we do?

I kind of agree. Only because i'm not a massive fan of huge multi-national corporates.

Hmm, then it'll be your people who are taking a blow aswell.

I don't think she's got a mouth big enough to be honest.

What about YOUR greedy corporations that are single handedly responsible for the murder of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi's, the toxic dumping in Somalia etc etc?

I'll tell you what.

What?

Why should we? It's not like WE did it? Why don't you go clean up some cluster bombs in Iraq?

We'll talk about what the hell we want...

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Sed Non Credo
The latest continual bashing of BP for what is undeniably an accident from a statesmen is yet another clear sign of Obama's disdain of the British.

When a BP representative showed up on the Oilrig, overrode the concerns of the professional drillers, and told them to replace the heavier drilling mud with saltwater which was not heavy enough to hold the gas pressure down (because it was faster and thus more profitable), thereby causing the blow out, that is criminal negligence not an accident. That negligence has done more damage to this country then any other disaster in its entire history. The president is being pushed by popular opinion here to get it under control, he in turn has to push BP.

Let me put how BP has been treated more then fairly into prospective for you a bit…

As a diver, if I disturbed an underwater archeological site in the Gulf, I can be fined, jailed, all of my equipment seized, my house seized, and my vehicles seized. I am responsible to pay to repair the site back to its original condition, pay for any damages that cannot be repaired, and pay for any safeguards required to ensure that no one else can ever tamper with that site again. If I touch or accidentally kill a sea turtle or their eggs, I can receive 1 year in prison, and up to a $100,000 fine. Those are just two examples of the types of fines and jail time that go with disturbing things in the oceans here in the Gulf area.

By comparison to those examples, BP has now killed thousands of sea turtles, destroyed hundreds of underwater archeological sites, and damaged the entire economy of the Gulf, however they have yet to have a single person go to jail, and have barely paid out a dime compared to the amount of damage they have done by rushing the job...

Now do you really want to tell me that BP is not being treated more than fairly?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
The fact is, whatever he does he will not win with everybody. No I do not think he is targeting britain, BP chose to associate themselves with Britain, BP decided to ignore safety regulations. Stop trying to find scapegoats.

Thing is, what about the two US companies who were the ones in actual operatinal control of the rig, namely Transocean and Halliburton?

In fact, Transocean was in trouble here in the UK a couple of years ago for "inadequate and poor maintainence of a blow-out preventor"..

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

But no, evil BP get the bad rap while the two US companies actually running the rig when it blew up don't get any heat. After all, that would be "un-American" wouldn't it?

I also find it deeply ironic that Americans are now bitching and moaning about "foreign" companies ruining their environment etc, when US companies have been doing it around the world for the best part of half a century.

Not liking the boot on that foot then, no?

[edit on 12/6/10 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by stumason
Thing is, what about the two US companies who were the ones in actual operatinal control of the rig, namely Transocean and Halliburton?

They were overridden by the high level BP rep that was sent out to the rig on that day:

Rig survivors: BP ordered shortcut on day of blast
(CNN) -- The morning the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, a BP executive and a Transocean official argued over how to proceed with the drilling, rig survivors told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an exclusive interview.
The survivors' account paints perhaps the most detailed picture yet of what happened on the deepwater rig -- and the possible causes of the April 20 explosion.

The BP official wanted workers to replace heavy mud, used to keep the well's pressure down, with lighter seawater to help speed a process that was costing an estimated $750,000 a day and was already running five weeks late, rig survivors told CNN.

BP won the argument, said Doug Brown, the rig's chief mechanic. "He basically said, 'Well, this is how it's gonna be.' "

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

What about the World Cup in soccer when the UK is against the USA?

That will be interesting!

posted on Jun, 12 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

The Uk isn't playing against the USA in the world cup.

In fact, the UK doesn't have a team in the world cup at all.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join