It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, I gave up aspartame

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by State of Mind

Just google it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
whats wrong with aspartame?

Here is a few links for you to study, remember you can do your own research:

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) Toxicity Information Center

FDA Statement on European Aspartame Study

How Aspartame Became Legal - The Timeline

Aspartame has been renamed and is now being marketed as a natural sweetener

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Okay, I've heard about aspartame making people sick, causing seizures, etc I've also heard it causes cancer (but what doesnt these days?) I thought, since this is ATS, that there maybe something more sinister or interesting to aspartame than previously alleged. This is abovetopsecret.com, I was just surprised to see such a dull thread and thought there may be more to the story. This seems more like it belongs in BTS.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by State of Mind
Okay, I've heard about aspartame making people sick, causing seizures, etc I've also heard it causes cancer (but what doesnt these days?) I thought, since this is ATS, that there maybe something more sinister or interesting to aspartame than previously alleged. This is abovetopsecret.com, I was just surprised to see such a dull thread and thought there may be more to the story. This seems more like it belongs in BTS.

It's another known toxin that the FDA has approved, that they knew was toxic, while trying to ban safe substances like stevia.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I myself have taken my household off Aspartame. We've been avoiding it however and whenever possible and are healthy considering my mom and bro's med issues.

Go with natural sugar in products however and whenever possible.

Our yogurt is La Yougurt, aspartame free.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

aspartame turns in to wood alcohol in your digestive system
, the one that makes you blind.

not only does it turn in to wood alcohol it also turns in to other sorts of industrial grade alcohols / waste products

on top of that, aspartame is usualy made in a process where they use e coli

they made a test on finnish national tv where they poured a bottle of concentrated light lemonade(sun light) on an ants nest/stack , by the end of the day they all had died and when asked as to why they all died the scholar in question replied its toxic for the nervous system, wink wink

dont take my word for it , just do a net search or go to a library and make an empirical discovery for your self.

get of the toxics and live a healthier life.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
I was buying stevia at Trader Joes, but I just picked up In the Raw Stevia at Vons. I've been hoping for a long time that the supermarket chains would pick it up and start putting a big dent in Nutrasweet et al. Yay!

Personally, I find Stevia still tastes kinda weird. I have drops and powder, and gave it an honest try. Now I just avoid pop, and use honey in my coffee

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I haven't been on the stuff since march. That being said I still drink diet stuff. I don't know much about artificial sweeteners, but I am on sucralose. Which isn't good either. But I'm still hopefully far away from aspartame

hate to break it to you, but your not off aspartame at all, Sucralose/Splenda has aspartame in it as an ingredient, thats right, an ingredient within an ingredient, all you did was change names and add more chemicals without losing any, if you dont want aspartame then you must also stay away from Sucralose/Splenda, because they are one and the same.

btw stay away from high fructose corn syrup also, its pretty much just as bad.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Splenda is very bad for you, and so is asapartame, I got off of both this past March as well. The splenda was making me have headaches (like everyday, I had a on going headache for 3 years), it also caused me to eat more, kidney problems, digestive problems, and much much more. Since getting off all of my symptoms are gone. i just use plain old sugar. I would alos stay away from Stevia as well, anything that claims to be natural, and from sugar cane is a lie. The only way to get sweetened items should be from sugar. If you're looking to lose weight, just drink water, that's what I do. I haven't had a diet coke in months, and if I get coke at a restarant it's not diet. I wish you much luck, and do a research on splenda.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
OP, it's good your trying to come off that. My sister used to drink Diet Pepsi by the gallon and swore that she thought the aspartame in it was affecting her hearing. She said it was all fuzzy for lack of better term. When she stopped drinking it she said it cleared up. Not sure if it was connected or not myself, but I wouldn't be surprised.

My husband was just diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and his doctor has told him to drink the no sugar added squash and to put Splenda instead of sugar in his tea. I know the adverse health effects of aspartame and I hate that he drinks it at all, but he likes something other than water every now and again and he likes his tea sweetened. All of the diabetic websites I have looked on say that artifical sweetners should be used instead of real sugar. Does anybody know if there is anything natural that won't harm diabetics that I could switch to for him? I really hate that he has to drink that crap...

[edit on 11-6-2010 by sugarmonkey]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by mysticalzoe

here are some links for you to look over to get you started:

www.splendaexposed.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

thehealthadvantage.com...

www.lovethetruth.com...

Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Never used aspartame to me its not sweet but bitter.

Never used the other artificial sweeteners like saccharin ether as they also are horrible tasting.

The only one i can stand are splenda and stevia

I can not use sugar or any thing with high fructose corn syrup as i am a diabetic from the auto immune disease i have and can not use aspartame because of its affect on my fibromyalgia.

The problem i have is when i travel almost no one has any soft drinks with splenda or stevia so i have to bottle my own diet sodas from 2 liter bottles down to 12 ounce to fit in a ice chest.

And when i travel i do not drink water as i will not buy bottled water and don't drink local water as i travel.(a problem in its self IBS) some times i do bottle water from where i live but you can only carry so much.

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticalzoe
reply to post by Jordan River

I would alos stay away from Stevia as well, anything that claims to be natural, and from sugar cane is a lie. The only way to get sweetened items should be from sugar. If you're looking to lose weight, just drink water, that's what I do. I haven't had a diet coke in months, and if I get coke at a restarant it's not diet. I wish you much luck, and do a research on splenda.

Splenda they claim is from sugar, and I agree, it is not safe, but Stevia is not derived from sugar cane. Or any form of it. It is a herb, I had a stevia plant once. The veins in the leaves are what will leave a bitterness, the rest of the leaf is sweet. The liquid form does get instilled in a alcohol base, or a vegetable glycerin base. I find in some things it gives a strange taste, I use sugar in coffee, but stevia in tea. Sugar in tea for me doesn't taste right anymore.

edit to add:

one of the great things about stevia is that it is so sweet you don't need much. In the liquid form, 3 or 4 drops = 1 tsp sugar.
I do 3 drops in a cup of tea, perfect. If I make a real cocoa, a cup of hot milk, tablespoon of unsweetened dark cocoa, and 6 drops of stevia. Guilt free and healthy cocoa drink.

[edit on 11-6-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering
Can anyone who has gotten off the artificial sweeteners tell the difference in your general health before and after?

Indeed.

I've lived on Diet Coke for the last 6-8 years. Maybe longer. Probably longer.

My brain is like Swiss Cheese now so it's hard to recall exactly WHEN I started drinking Diet Coke.

Seriously...

Oh... yeah, my short term memory is finally coming back too! I noted to the wife just last night.

The severe itching that many people had reported had finally become a daily issue for me. Below the knees... was like constant spider/flea bites.

I finally quit Diet Coke 8-10 months ago when I found out that Coca Cola Co. was supporting Cap & Trade. Just one more reason to leave them behind.

All adverse symptoms of aspartame vanished within two weeks.

I've only been improving. And, as I mentioned, my short term memory seems to be improving too.

The wife and I still have a Coke once in great while...

AND, It can still put an outstanding shine on old rusty metal parts too!

posted on Jun, 11 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sugarmonkey

My husband was just diagnosed Type 2 diabetic and his doctor has told him to drink the no sugar added squash and to put Splenda instead of sugar in his tea. I know the adverse health effects of aspartame and I hate that he drinks it at all, but he likes something other than water every now and again and he likes his tea sweetened. All of the diabetic websites I have looked on say that artifical sweetners should be used instead of real sugar. Does anybody know if there is anything natural that won't harm diabetics that I could switch to for him? I really hate that he has to drink that crap...

Check out stevia, 3 drops liquid = 1 tsp sugar. Make sure he monitors his sugar closely, because it has been known to lower blood sugar in some diabetics, and that has to be monitored even more that high sugar levels. He will learn to "feel" when is sugar gets low, my husband is going through that too. Certain meats (KFC chicken) lower my husbands sugar so much he has to have something that raises it to balance it out.

Also check out vitamin B1 for kidney protection. Cinnamon is also good for diabetics to add to whatever it tastes good in, it will also help normalize sugar levels.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Xylitol is probably the best artificial sweetner. It helps pevent tooth decay is 30% less calories than sugar and won't harm diabetics. It also tasts just like sugar. It is found in tree bark. The only other sweetner I like is Maple syrup.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well I swore to give up my diet drinks. I did not know that surcloses has ass in it. I am surprised. Now, my yougert also has that #.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565

aspartame turns in to wood alcohol in your digestive system
, the one that makes you blind.

not only does it turn in to wood alcohol it also turns in to other sorts of industrial grade alcohols / waste products

on top of that, aspartame is usualy made in a process where they use e coli

they made a test on finnish national tv where they poured a bottle of concentrated light lemonade(sun light) on an ants nest/stack , by the end of the day they all had died and when asked as to why they all died the scholar in question replied its toxic for the nervous system, wink wink

dont take my word for it , just do a net search or go to a library and make an empirical discovery for your self.

get of the toxics and live a healthier life.

yep your right....
Aspartame is genetically engineered in E. coli bacteria.
forum.prisonplanet.com...

FDA Studies Show Aspartame Link to Brain Tumors
www.prisonplanet.com...

also stop eating foods that have MSG in them....i use to get really bad migraines.....stopped eating the foods that had msg in them....actually did a little test just to see.....and havent had a headache in 2 years. it was the MSG. nasty stuff. buy all organic....and also buy distilled water from the grocery store...80cents a gallon...fill the buggy up. no flouride or any other chems in it. cook with it...make coffee with it..whatever...k? educate yourselves....dont eat that trash they are feeding the zombies.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Seriously guys, aspartame is not the ONLY sweetener that can breach the blood brain barrier, this is especially true as you get older. My parents live off that crap and I try to tell them it could literally kill them, they don't listen.

There is plenty of research showing how this stuff kills you.

It's pretty simple, don't drink anything that's "diet" as it will likely contain this crap. It's pretty ironic that people who are "health conscious" drink "diet" stuff etc. If you want to worry about your weight, don't eat/drink as much, simply cut back. When you want to treat yourself, have the product that has natural sugar in it. There is no exception to this rule. Ironically enough it's the stuff that isn't the diet stuff that is usually better for you, you just don't know it because the calorie info on the back says otherwise. Unfortunately there is no mental health nurtitional information for consumers

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I was never able to acquire the ability to tolerate the taste of ANY artificial sweetener.

What I want in a diet drink is something with real sugar (or hell, even HFCS), just LESS of it. I don't need my Pepsi to be so sweet. I've been on a kick making my own iced tea - I can make it sweet enough to enjoy but it's probably 1/4 of the sugar that's in the premade stuff from the store. I'm sitting here drinking a regular mountain dew (I know, but I don't do it all that often) and I'm wishing I could have one with about half the sugar in it. It just doesn't need to be this sweet.

Just a side note - I've read that fruit juices for the most part are no better than soft drinks. They may have some nutritional value but they have just as many or even more calories sometimes that offset the gains.

I've seen stevia products at Food Lion - I might have to try it. I get the Sobe flavored waters sometimes that have "PureVia" in them, which I assume is a stevia-based sweetener. Can't say I love the taste of it, but I find myself at least able to tolerate it more than the artificial chemical alternative.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join