It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-Duty Officer Fatally Shoots Unarmed Marine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   

www.wbaltv.com

An off-duty Baltimore City police officer fatally shot an unarmed Marine 13 times outside a nightclub early Saturday.
"There was absolutely no physical contact," said La-Belle Scott, Brown's sister. "The supposed officer was not in any harm whatsoever. He (Brown) had his hands up to show he didn't have no weapons or anything."
"My brother tried to approach him, saying, 'Calm down, calm down. All this is uncalled for.' And, the next thing you know, several shots rang out. It was maybe eight or nine shots that rang out, and then, all I know is my brother is telling me, 'I'm shot,'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
They didn't arrest the cop after he did this? Isn't murder a crime? I mean, if I had shot someone 13 times then I would be in prison. There's no way I could get away with just being "questioned" after something like that. This guy could go put on a uniform and do it to someone else.. They don't care about the public's safety from this murderer?

p.s. I'd prefer if the cops didn't come into my thread and say "wait until all the facts get out".

www.wbaltv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
i'm not a cop.... but wait until the facts come out! just to get in first

*really the facts will be distorted either way. everyone is a victim!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
I mean, if I had shot someone 13 times then I would be in prison.

Don't forget this little tidbit from the story also.

Police said they are investigating whether alcohol was a factor. The officer declined to take an alcohol breath test.

What happens to the normal Joe when they refuse a breathalizer? Automatic guilty. But not if you're a semi-god....I mean a police officer.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Shame man served his countr then ends up waxed by an off duty police man.. Sincere condolences to his family...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
My condolences to the slain Marine's family, to Baltimore, and to your country. The more you shoot each other up, the more holes there are in your credibility. America is no longer a sane country.

At least, I hope, this one is investigated and prosecuted thoroughly.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It doesn't say much about the ongoing investigation.

I too am shocked by what the situation appears to be but maybe people should withhold judgement until it becomes clearer what exactly happened.

I'm not by any means saying that the policeman was right to unload 13 times into an unarmed man, just that there are already those complaining about the officer seemingly getting away with murder, when infact that is the exact opposite of what the article says.

When you bash the government for doing the right thing, it diminishes our (ATS's) arguments against said organisations elsewhere, where they are more justified.

Knee-jerk reactions serve one purpose; they make you look stupid.

My sincerest condolences go out to Mr Brown and his family, especially his two children.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Dookzor]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I'm tired of all this different laws for different people nonsense!

Either the law applies to everyone or none, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Aside from the obvious boatload of wrong the cop has done here. Anyone shooting an unarmed man 13 times at close range is a murderer....

Those are the facts.

Sounds like Tyrone has a good family, my best to them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ISHAMAGI
I'm tired of all this different laws for different people nonsense!

Either the law applies to everyone or none, NO EXCEPTIONS!

Aside from the obvious boatload of wrong the cop has done here. Anyone shooting an unarmed man 13 times at close range is a murderer....

Those are the facts.

Sounds like Tyrone has a good family, my best to them.

I don't see where in the article it says the policeman is getting off 'scott-free'. Maybe you would be so kind as to show me where you got that impression?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Maybe that marine was an ATS User...most ATS User seem to hate cops with a passion and would told them straight to the face or attack them

Iit's horrible when a human dies, it's even more horrible when he was murdered, but the story seems a bit weird, one side says it was physical, the other plays it down and say the marine did nothing and i guess we will never know the truth, of course most people here believe the victim because cops are eeeeeeeevil, but maybe there was a fight, maybe the marine attacked first, maybe he had a weapon...who knows. The Article doesn't sound right.

Question is: Why did he shot multiple times? Isn't a shot in the leg enough to stop an aggressive human? You don't have to shot him into pieces.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by ShadowAngel85]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dookzor
I'm not by any means saying that the policeman was right to unload 13 times into an unarmed man, just that there are already those complaining about the officer seemingly getting away with murder, when infact that is the exact opposite of what the article says.

He declined a breath test. If any other person did such a thing, they are automatically charged with the crime being investigated. I. E. whether it be driving while intoxicatecd or firing your service weapon while intoxicated.

When you bash the government for doing the right thing

When did they do the right thing? When they didn't charge him automatically when refusing a breathalizer like the rest of the "normal" folk?

Knee-jerk reactions serve one purpose; they make you look stupid.

There is no knee-jerk reaction. He refused the breathalizer. Anyone else would get an automatic charge for that. He did not. The "justice" department has already shown preferential treatment.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
One must question the circumstances which bring a police officer to draw his weapon, and fire on an unarmed Marine. Surely in order to condone drawing his side arm, an officer ought to believe he/she , or a member of the public will loose thier life unless he pulls his gun and neutralises the threat? If that is indeed the case, how can he have come to even draw his weapon on an un armed man, let alone shoot the gentleman while his hands were up? Something amiss there if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'm not defending the policeman by any means.

From what I understand, a policeman becomes involved in an altercation in a nightclub. Somehow 13 shots are unloaded and an unarmed guy is killed. The cop, who is legally allowed to be carrying the firearm then refuses a breathalyser. The victims family say it's all his fault and because he isn't charged there and then (please correct me if I'm wrong on this...) when refusing a breathalyser it is taken as preferential treatment towards the officer?

I see the point, but I was under the impression that he is allowed to use his firearm off-duty if he feels it's necessary and that being a policeman, it is in everyones best interests ultimately that he is given the benefit of the doubt until wrongdoing can be proved?

Again, please don't misconstrue my post as being in defense of the policeman. I'd just like to know how arresting ANY policeman at the behest of the apparent victims family, is in anyones best interests?

My own personal opinion of what happened if it did infact happen as we were told is that it is disgusting for an armed police officer to shoot an unarmed man involved in a personal dispute with him 13 times. Once would be too much.

However, I for one would rather incidents involving policeman were thoroughly investigated before actions were taken against the policeman. Regardless to whether the policeman in question was right on this occasion, I would like those tasked with the job of protecting the public feel that they can do so without huge amounts of red-tape and fear of being reprimanded for doing what they are trained to do.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Booze and guns don't mix! This is a troubling story, and why on this green earth was the off-duty officer carrying his sidearm and consuming alcohol? It seems to go against an important protocol for police officers while off-duty?

Officers typically carry their service weapons while off-duty in Baltimore, but Guglielmi said they should not be carrying their guns if they intend to become intoxicated.

Still, lets wait for the investigation to find out exactly what happened. All we have to go with is circumstantial evidence from the Officer and the deceased Marine's party.

As it appears now, that Baltimore Police Officer messed up royally. To shoot an unarmed man 13 times at point-blank range, over an alleged flirt with the unnamed officer's girlfriend? That is absolutely crazy, and this officer needs to have a long talk with the DA and the Internal Affairs Division. Carrying a weapon and consuming alcohol is unacceptable, and that officer should have known better! Then he has enough gall to refuse an alcohol breath test after a shooting? I know for certain, that it is standard procedure for an officer to test for drugs and alcohol after firing their weapon and using deadly force. We have to remember Baltimore is notoriously corrupt and this could have damning political consequences for the Big Wigs.

So, we may see attempts to misplace evidence, intentional fudging of witness testimony, discrediting the witnesses and victim, and other nefarious activities to lesson the blow. A Marine war hero killed by a drunk off-duty police officer? That is political suicide for the Baltimore Police Department and essentially the entire political establishment of the city. My gut tells me, the PTB of the city are going to do everything in their power to lesson the blow from this Public Relations nightmare.

Therefore, a third party should be called in to investigate like the State Police or a Federal Agency to lesson the conflicts of interest if it is handled in house. That is probably unlikely, because the police or the city government would have to request their services. You know a jurisdiction thing. The fact of the matter is this, if this officer was going out for drinks, he should have left his weapon at home. That Marine should not have been killed. Its acts like this that ruin the reputations of the honest police officers actually doing some good in the community. This Blue Code of Silence

. . . is an unwritten rule among police officers in the United States not to report on another colleague's errors, misconducts or crimes. If questioned about an incident of misconduct involving another officer (e.g. during the course of an official inquiry), if following the Blue Code of Silence, it would be standard procedure to claim ignorance.

en.wikipedia.org...

has got to stop, because it is only fanning the flames of distrust and furor among people who are legitimately victims of police brutality and corruption. Hopefully an honest investigation takes shape, and if this officer is found guilty of wrongdoing, they ought to be charged with murder, and tried in court. Its a shame this war hero had to die. Semper Fi Tyrone Brown.

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dookzor
I see the point, but I was under the impression that he is allowed to use his firearm off-duty if he feels it's necessary and that being a policeman, it is in everyones best interests ultimately that he is given the benefit of the doubt until wrongdoing can be proved?

Let's look at it a different way.

If I or anyone else has an accident on the job we are forced to submit to a drug and alcohol test. Even if no one is injured or killed.

Why does a police officer get differential treatment? Especially one at a bar off duty who killed an unarmed man with 13 shots?

Again, please don't misconstrue my post as being in defense of the policeman. I'd just like to know how arresting ANY policeman at the behest of the apparent victims family, is in anyones best interests?

Don't you think if we shot someone at a bar we wouldn't be arrested?

However, I for one would rather incidents involving policeman were thoroughly investigated before actions were taken against the policeman.

I would rather the policeman be subject to the same laws that I am subject to. Hence why he should be incarcerated, held until bond is made, then sent to court/trial of his peers. Like the rest of us are. Not just "investigated".

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Guglielmi said Tshamba, a 15-year-veteran, shot a man in the foot after a confrontation while off duty in 2005. The shooting was found to be justified, but Tshamba was disciplined because he was under the influence of alcohol.

From same source as OP.

This cop seems to have had some problems in the past. Definitely not the kind of guy I want wearing a uniform. He should not have been carrying his service weapon if he was drinking, and I would argue that he was most likely drunk. I hope they also review the previous shooting, and that PD admins get heat for letting him stay on the force.

I highly doubt anyone will listen to me on this one, but don't judge all cops every time some dirtbag pulls a stunt like this.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
He wasnt shot 13 times, he was shot 6.

Cop unloaded 13 rounds, and 6 impacted.

From the article:

shot at 13 times at close range, with six shots hitting him.

IMO, this cop acted negligently and deserves to be executed.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
He wasnt shot 13 times, he was shot 6.

Cop unloaded 13 rounds, and 6 impacted.

From the article:

shot at 13 times at close range, with six shots hitting him.

IMO, this cop acted negligently and deserves to be executed.
I agree, this scum should get the death sentence. ALL police are just salesmen of crime!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

I agree this guy should have been arrested. Police should be held to the same standards as everyone else, and I guarantee anyone else would have been arrested. Especially if they were at a bar, at 2 AM, had just killed an unarmed man, and were refusing a breath test.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join